• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whales

Nathaniel

Are Whales Fish or Mammals?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are Whales Fish or Mammals?

• Fish
    • Mammal
    • Both

• Members

Are whales fish or mammals?

I thought it might be a fun topic for a poll :icon_mrgreen:

Depends on the situation. In modern usage it refers to a particular group of mammals but in the KJV it simply means a very large aquatic creature. Sort of like how the bible calls a "bat" a "fowl" while in the modern day it is described as a mammal and not a "fowl".

• Members

Jon 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
1709. דָּג dag
Search for H1709 in KJVSL
דָּג dag dawg
or (fully) dag (Nehemiah 13:16) {dawg}; from 1711; a fish (as prolific); or perhaps rather from 1672 (as timid); but still better from 1672 (in the sense of squirming, i.e. moving by the vibratory action of the tail); a fish (often used collectively):--fish.
See Hebrew 1711

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Jon 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
1709. דָּג dag
Search for H1709 in KJVSL
דָּג dag dawg
or (fully) dag (Nehemiah 13:16) {dawg}; from 1711; a fish (as prolific); or perhaps rather from 1672 (as timid); but still better from 1672 (in the sense of squirming, i.e. moving by the vibratory action of the tail); a fish (often used collectively):--fish.
See Hebrew 1711

Matthew 12:40 (KJV)
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Sorry I don't have the strong's number for this. If someone would be kind enough to look it up so we can compare that would be great.
I'm not trying to start an argument just showing the Bible uses both words. Fish or Whale is not the important issue. What matters is that it happened and God used it
to get Jonah to do his will.

• Members

Matthew 12:40 (KJV)
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Sorry I don't have the strong's number for this. If someone would be kind enough to look it up so we can compare that would be great.
I'm not trying to start an argument just showing the Bible uses both words. Fish or Whale is not the important issue. What matters is that it happened and God used it
to get Jonah to do his will.

Strong's Greek Dictionary
2785. κητος ketos

κητος ketos kay'-tos
probably from the base of 5490; a huge fish (as gaping for prey):—whale.