• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

WAYOFTHEMASTER

jdunagan

• Members

I watched the clip of Ray Comfort on Joyce Meyer's show. Weird that he did that.

He is definitely a neo-evangelical. Modern versions and ecumenism and all that.

Ray Comfort seems very proud of his commendations (D. James Kennedy, Bill Bright, John MacArthur, et al).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I watched the clip of Ray Comfort on Joyce Meyer's show. Weird that he did that.

He is definitely a neo-evangelical.

Like I said, given the aggressiveness with which they go after neo-evangelicalism, I find this hard to believe.

• Members

Evangelical today = neo-evangelical, basically.
http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/Broadcast/TV/Archive/20061027.htm used to be where the Ray Comfort appearance on Joyce Meyer's show was...but the link no longer works--I guess they deleted it due to age. Trust me, I watched it.

Not a neo? Front of his book: "commended by Josh McDowell, Ravi Zacharias and John MacArthur." Back of his book: "His ministry has been commended by Franklin Graham, David Wilkerson, Dr. D. James Kennedy, Joni Eareckson Tada, Dr. Jerry Falwell, and many other Christian leaders.

About the only commendation he won't advertise is that of Joyce Meyer, who actually sells his book as part of a package deal: http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/Magazine/0610/whenawareness.htm

• Members

Think what you want Dwayner, basically no evangelicals today stood where they did 50-100 years ago - they have watered down and liberalized Christianity as a whole.

• Members

I remember when I first heard Ray Comfort's message called Hell's Best Kept Secret, once I heard that message I saw myself as a monster, a monster of iniquity. I cried out to God for salvation. For I had been regularly attending a church for a year now, but they never spoke on sin like this. At that time on my knees in prayer is when I truly became born again.

I then becamse "addicted" to everything Ray Comfort you could say. I read perhaps 15-20 of his books. Did the old and new version of the school of Biblical Evangelism. I've probably had around 10 000 - 20 000 of his tracts through my hands either giving them out myself or buying bulk to sell to other christians at cheaper rates. I am almost certain that I have listened to every single audio message he has every produced and watched all his open air preaching videos multiple times. So in other words I was really really into his stuff. It was his Biblical teachings that got me to question things at my old charamastic church. Mostly in regards to how they preached another gospel and how they did this 1, 2, 3 repeat after me blasphemy. So I highly respected the man and his ministry; for this ministry also helped to get me involved in Biblical evangelism and the soapbox preaching and etc.

God used some fellow onlinebaptists(most particularly Samer as the sower and Finlander as the waterer) to help guide me to Biblical truths and take me out of the charamastic movement and bring me into a sound IFB church. I recently shipped off my remaining Comfort Books(except for the 2 on the oldschool preachers) to TheBibleSender ministries, so perhaps some missionaries may find them helpful in use of learning proper Biblical evangelism.

I was very hesitant to conclude that Ray Comfort was wrong on many things, because of my great respect and involvement with his ministry and teachings. Now I have concluded that he is unBiblical on many things and try to avoid his teachings as much as possible. Fortunately the Lord has taught Doug Hammett the use of the Law in evangelism. You can check out his website at http://www.whatstandard.com and I recommend you buy the book titled Salvation Bible Basics described as this:

Are you looking for ways to reach the lost in a non-threatening but clear-cut way? This four-week Bible study is designed to be used one-on-one, for an hour each week. The lessons build from seeing the purpose of the law in lesson one to repentance and faith in Christ in lesson four.
Lesson 1 - The Bible is true; the purpose of the law
Lesson 2 - God's view of mankind's sin; why good works are not enough
Lesson 3 - Christ is the only one capable of taking away sin
Lesson 4 - The necessary elements for salvation - repentance and faith

This book can be found at http://www.challengepress.org under the category of Salvation. The cost is only 4 dollars.

Just remember when thinking about Ray Comfort that

Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? (1 Cor 5:6)

Ray Comfort is silent on many important issues of doctrine.
Ray Comfort lacks seperation in regards to unBiblical Churches.
Ray Comfort has associated with the heretic Joyce Meyers.
Ray Comfort has some "modernized" version of the KJV
Ray Comfort uses sleight of hand on occassion for presenting the gospel in the streets

I cannot remember at the time other issues; when I do I will post them.

God bless.

• Members

Think what you want Dwayner, basically no evangelicals today stood where they did 50-100 years ago - they have watered down and liberalized Christianity as a whole.

I suppose I should choose my battles, so I will be brief, and will try to shy away from this thread.

IMHO, the church 50-100 years ago was troubled, more troubled then it is today. With the rise of the charismatic movement as well as other "christian" religions (i.e. JWs) coupled with the left over puritanical influence in America, the American church, in an attempt to run from doctrinal differences, solidified denominational lines forcefully. Some of those lines were necessary. Many others were not. At the same time they closed their doors to the shifting culture of the day, content to create a sub-culture, which left them neutered in influence. Many evangelicals today are attempting (rightfully so IMO) to undo some of that divisiveness. Some take it too far. Other evangelicals (like most/all PCA churches and many PCUSA churches) have stayed the same for the last few hundred years.

Basically, while there are some who have taken various extreme positions, as a whole most people have shifted in a healthy direction. I have said on these boards before that I care very little to emulate what happened 100 years ago. I am more concerned with 2000 years ago.

• Members

The Bible teaches the closer and closer we get to Christ's return, the more apostasy there will be in Christendom - yet there are others, like you, who think it is getting better. Who's right?

• Members

The Bible teaches the closer and closer we get to Christ's return, the more apostasy there will be in Christendom - yet there are others, like you, who think it is getting better. Who's right?

Well played... too bad your logic is flawed. Are you willing to say there is no time in history when there was more apostasy then any previous time?

I'm out of this one with you Jerry. Have fun.

• Members

What does this mean?

Also, do you still think you were born again because of what Ray preached or did you renounce that?

You aren't born again by a preacher. But the message that Ray Comfort gives can lead to salvation, no matter what kind of lifestyle he leads. He has a great soulwinning method, and being saved by his preaching doesn't mean you have to go to an IFB church and get saved again.

• Members

seanpayne wrote:
Ray Comfort uses sleight of hand on occassion for presenting the gospel in the streets
God bless.

What does this mean?

Also, do you still think you were born again because of what Ray preached or did you renounce that?

The first part means Ray shouldn't be using sleight of hand when sharing the gospel on the streets, because it is a form of deceiving the people and it does not rely on the power of God for salvation.

I was born again when I listened to the message Hell's Best Kept Secret and as a result was convicted of my sin(by the work of the Holy Spirit using the thorough explaination of the Law in that message) and thus repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.

So even though as a result of his ministry I did get saved, I now hold to the Biblical standards to seperate from his unbiblical ministry.

You aren't born again by a preacher. But the message that Ray Comfort gives can lead to salvation, no matter what kind of lifestyle he leads. He has a great soulwinning method, and being saved by his preaching doesn't mean you have to go to an IFB church and get saved again.

I did not get "saved again" at an IFB church. For if God truly saves a person then that person is always saved. They cannot lose it to be saved again.

I went to an IFB church because that is the Biblical New Testament Church, which the gates of hell has never prevailed against it from the book of Acts till today.