• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mega Churches Gain Ground As Small Churches Close

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Mega Churches have been growing and expanding as small churches of all denominations are closing. 

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/14/1187460517/megachurches-growing-liquid-church

Home church, and home bible studies groups are starting to sound better. I am not for Mega shows and salaries. 

• Members
24 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Home church, and home bible studies groups are starting to sound better. I am not for Mega shows and salaries. 

Not all megas are the same, Morales. Home Bible studies and small groups have led to a lot of problems for some churches leading to division and splits. These are not always the best alternatives. You're painting with a broad brush again, my friend.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
1 minute ago, BrotherTony said:

Not all megas are the same, Morales. Home Bible studies and small groups have led to a lot of problems for some churches leading to division and splits. These are not always the best alternatives.

You might be right about the home groups, but I'm you know, not for Mega churches. 

• Members
Just now, TheGloryLand said:

You might be right about the home groups, but I'm you know, not for Mega churches. 

Wow, I wonder how that would play out for the 3,000 souls that were added to the church that one particular day. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Wow, I wonder how that would play out for the 3,000 souls that were added to the church that one particular day. 

I have no doubt they will grow in numbers and cash flow. The future cool churches, I wonder when they will start selling yearly seats. Front row, only $100 a month. I better stop giving them ideas. ?

• Members
23 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I have no doubt they will grow in numbers and cash flow. The future cool churches, I wonder when they will start selling yearly seats. Front row, only $100 a month. I better stop giving them ideas. ?

They haven't started selling them yet. To be honest TGL, you seem to worry an awful lot about other people's churches and things that don't really have anything to do with you or your church. It's just an observation, friend , but, it's disconcerting to see someone so obsessed with things that don't affect them in the least.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
10 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

They haven't started selling them yet. To be honest TGL, you seem to worry an awful lot about other people's churches and things that don't really have anything to do with you or your church. It's just an observation, friend , but, it's disconcerting to see someone so obsessed with things that don't affect them in the least.

You are right, there is nothing I can do about it. That I need to mind my own business on some things.

• Members
17 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

You are right, there is nothing I can do about it. That I need to mind my own business on some things.

I can understand concerns, but obsession is a critter of another sort. ????

• Administrators

I don't believe that the 3,000 souls added to the church would qualify as mega in current terminology. When I hear mega church, I don't just think large church. I think modern, feel-good, raunchy atmosphere/music, doing all they can to bring in whomever, sometimes regardless of salvation. But that's just me. heehee

And we are one VERY small church that won't be closing. ?

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

I don't believe that the 3,000 souls added to the church would qualify as mega in current terminology. When I hear mega church, I don't just think large church. I think modern, feel-good, raunchy atmosphere/music, doing all they can to bring in whomever, sometimes regardless of salvation. But that's just me. heehee

And we are one VERY small church that won't be closing. ?

Again, I must reiterate, that in what was classified as a mega church in my day was anything over 1,500. I grew up in such a church. Large was @ 750+. Granted, today's mega Churches run into the tens of thousands... still, let's not discount the smaller megas by prejudice. Also, not all megas are as you described.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
25 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

TGL.... nobody is forcing you to tithe here on earth. To be honest, you seem to have a fixation on money and tithing. 

I was talking about the rich mega-churches. I tithe and give offerings. It's the right thing to do. You judge me wrong. I forgive you

• Members
29 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I was talking about the rich mega-churches. I tithe and give offerings. It's the right thing to do. You judge me wrong. I forgive you

No judgement, just an observation...and tbh I really don't require your forgiveness. Please ? stop playing the martyr. It's very disingenuous of you.