• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

100 Books to Read Before You Die

Bouncing Bill

Reading is a form of prayer, a guided meditation that briefly makes us believe we’re someone else, disrupting the delusion that we’re permanent and at the center of the universe. Suddenly (we’re saved!) other people are real again, and we’re fond of them. —George Saunders

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. —Joseph Addison

NEWSLETTER
Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members

WHen anything,  a teaching,  a revelation,  a book,  is "instead of Christ",  it is sinful,  a distraction from Christ, an attempt to prevent healing, to prevent truth,  to prevent salvation even.

Psalm 141:5
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.

Verse 11. - And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness. The point of this exhortation is in the adjective "unfruitful." The works of darkness are unfruitful; they produce no goodness, give rise to no satisfaction, to no moral results that are "a joy forever;" or, if fruit they have, it is shame, remorse, despair. Contrast this with the renovating, satisfying, joy-producing, fruits of righteousness. But rather even reprove them. Do not be content with a passive attitude towards them, but take the aggressive and expose their wickedness, whether in public or in the domestic circle. A testimony has to be lifted up against ways that are so shameful and that bring down the wrath of God.

=========================

"The world consists of sinful things, certainly, but not only of sinful things. The world also includes things such as religion, culture, education, industry, commerce, and entertainment. All of these can be used by Satan to fill our time, take our energy, and occupy our thoughts so that we have less and less for God."

------------------------------------

1 JOHN 2:15 KJV "Love not the world, neither the things ...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-John-2-15/

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

• Members

-------------------------------------------

What does it mean for Christians to be in the world but ...

https://www.compellingtruth.org/in-world-not-of-world.html

It means that we do not act as the unsaved world does. We are not slaves to our sinful natures but act in accordance with righteousness ( Romans 6:6, 11 ). We are told to put to death things that are of our sinful natures and to flee from immorality ( Colossians 3:5-10; 1 Corinthians 6:18; Galatians 5:16-24; Ephesians 5:3-11 ).

• Members
27 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Reading is a form of prayer, a guided meditation that briefly makes us believe we’re someone else,

A form of prayer to what false god? (from the list in the op)

Edit in: (the list that WAS at first in the op;  went to the link in the op, some are openly about demons, promoting them and witchcraft and sorcery)

Reading anti-christ, sensual, worldly, deceptive  books and sources is indeed a "guided" meditation.  Is that the kind of "guidance" anyone should seek ?   (demonic, worldly, fleshly,  carnal )

That's what happened.  That's what happens to and in most all the world.  That's what is promoted by those tricked into denying Christ, or willingly denying Christ.

Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus
noting changes

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Reading is a form of prayer, a guided meditation that briefly makes us believe we’re someone else, disrupting the delusion that we’re permanent and at the center of the universe. Suddenly (we’re saved!) other people are real again, and we’re fond of them. —George Saunders

Not your quote, but since you quoted Saunders, who are you praying to when you read books? I'll go to certain Scripture based upon your answer. 

“The wise man reads both books and life itself.”
 Lin Yutang

And here is one of his books you should read..

From Pagan to Christian: The Personal Account of a Distinguished Philosopher's Spiritual Pilgrimage Back to Christianty.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

There is only one God.

How many of the books have you read?

Including the books in the Bible, around 70 a year.

The Bible talks a lot on how to and not to pray. I'm trying to comprehend how you think that reading Green eggs and Ham is praying to the one God in the Bible.

If we're going to talk about prayer, It's best to go to the Bible and not man. As the Bible is inerrant.

20 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Including the books in the Bible, around 70 a year.

The Bible talks a lot on how to and not to pray. I'm trying to comprehend how you think that reading Green eggs and Ham is praying to the one God in the Bible.

If we're going to talk about prayer, It's best to go to the Bible and not man. As the Bible is inerrant.

The Bible is inerrant, but your interpretation and mine is not. We do the best we can, but we should never think we are inerrant or infallible in our interpretation. 

On, on Green Eggs and Ham. That helps children learn to love to read so they will carry that love through life and hopefully read spiritually uplifting books in their future. Surely, you knew this.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members

It is not anyone's interpretation of the Bible in question.   It is your posts found in direct opposition to the Bible,  and anti-Bible,  (instead of Bible).

"Genesis 3:1
King James Bible
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?"

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

The Bible is inerrant, but your interpretation and mine is not. We do the best we can, but we should never think we are inerrant or infallible in our interpretation. 

On, on Green Eggs and Ham. That helps children learn to love to read so they will carry that love through life and hopefully read spiritually uplifting books in their future. Surely, you knew this.

Glad you agree that the Bible is inerrant. Which make me wonder why you quote more men than God.

Seeing how you deflect every hard question into something else then leave a thread once you are proven wrong I will say this with the most amount of respect...thank you for letting me know that green ham and eggs helps Children to read. 

Your answer would be phenomenal I guess if...I was talking about reading Green eggs and ham, but I mentioned about PRAYER.

My reply was "The Bible talks a lot on how to and not to pray. I'm trying to comprehend how you think that reading Green eggs and Ham is praying to the one God in the Bible."

The reason I commented was based upon the quote that Reading is a form of Prayer.

1 hour ago, PastorMatt said:

Glad you agree that the Bible is inerrant. Which make me wonder why you quote more men than God.

Seeing how you deflect every hard question into something else then leave a thread once you are proven wrong I will say this with the most amount of respect...thank you for letting me know that green ham and eggs helps Children to read. 

Your answer would be phenomenal I guess if...I was talking about reading Green eggs and ham, but I mentioned about PRAYER.

My reply was "The Bible talks a lot on how to and not to pray. I'm trying to comprehend how you think that reading Green eggs and Ham is praying to the one God in the Bible."

The reason I commented was based upon the quote that Reading is a form of Prayer.

Think about it. I am sure you can figure it out. Widen your horizons a bit. Enough on that subject. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Think about it. I am sure you can figure it out. Widen your horizons a bit. Enough on that subject. 

Bill, this that you replied is not only condescending, it borders on sarcasm. This is not an attitude that Christians should exhibit, especially in public. To make matters worse, you speak like this to the owner of this message board, whose board you are a visitor on. Would you dare to speak in this manner if you were visiting his house? I think not, but you seem to have no problem with doing it here were you can sit behind a screen.

• Members

In an odd folks home for people with conditions such that they cannot take care of themselves,   including diminished capabilities to understand or grasp simple concepts,  not even counting necessarily the spiritual influences that are contrary to anyone's well being, 

perhaps that is what has been going on ?    

Add to that a long long history of learning what is wrong,  contrary to the Bible,  and being paid for it, or patted on the back,  what then?   Whose fault is it if someone sees no good way to redeem the past wasted years ? 

In filling time with books of sin and evil and wickedness,   who can set free then ? 

Even if it was actually good books, per se,  or helpful books,  still instead of the Bible, 

that was a difficult life to live, and more hardships now, today, and in the future.

King James Version 12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus