• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Questions about the biblical basis for KJVO

Guest Guest

With all due respect, John...the average 3rd grader can comprehend the KJV. I was raised (with the exception of 7th and 8th grade) in the public school system. I can understand the KJV perfectly, and so can my husband...he finished his last 4 years in public school.

What I am finding on this site...is IFB's that were raised with the KJV 1611 AV "only" truth...doubting the validity of the Bible. Why after all these years is there confusion? :puzzled: Well, my opinion...is that Satan is working in the minds of Christians harder than ever. Satan even quoted the KJV to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguraion in...Matthew 4:6...And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, HE SHALL GIVE HIS ANGELS CHARGE CONCERNING THEE: and IN THEIR HANDS THEY SHALL BEAR THEE UP, LEST AT ANY TIME THOU DASH THY FOOT AGAINST A STONE. KJV 1611 AV. The Devil is producing false Christiany is all. And, he is doing it directly through God's word...the KJV. :amen:

candlelight

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I'm talking about your stance on the Bible. Do you not see the declination in what you claim to believe?

You started all of this claiming that the KJV is good and preferred, but not the only reliable translation of God's word.
I don't recall ever saying that I'm KJV preferred. I don't think of myself that way. I have said that I love the KJV and use it extensively, but I've also said that reading from other versions has at times clarified the meanings of the archaic English for me, shedding new light on the meaning of the passages. I take my NKJV, NASB, or ESV to church, since those versions are the ones my pastor uses (mostly NKJV).

You are now claiming that there is no complete volume that contains all of God's word. According to you, if we want to have God's word, we are now forced to wade through the thousands of renditions, paraphrases, translations, and works of outright false teachers in order to gather all of God's word (if we're lucky). :loco God doesn't need such things as luck.

speerj, I have claimed nothing. I have simply asked for biblical proof (if there is such proof) for the KJVO position. So far, no one has offered any. The verses they've given are the same ones I use as the basis of my position on preservation. Yet KJVOs claim that these verses "prove" their position. I don't see how they could, since not once does any Scripture mention that "preservation" equals "all of God's words in one book that is publicly accessible."

If that were possible, then would it not be possible to have God's word preserved in one volume?

As I stated before, I'm not interested (in this thread) in anything other than the biblical proof for the KJVO position. Of course, with God, anything is possible, but has He indeed promised (in the Bible) to do what you have said?

I reject your multiple versions arguments based on this logic which is based in God's word and upon God's character. :thumb

I have made no arguments; I have merely asked a question which you have not answered.

• Members
What I am finding on this site...is IFB's that were raised with the KJV 1611 AV "only" truth...doubting the validity of the Bible.

Candlelight, if you are referring to me with this statement, I'd like to clarify something. I was not raised KJVO. (That was the version our family used for study and memorization, but we weren't KJVO.) I was not raised IFB. I did attend an IFB Christian school, but it was not KJVO. Lastly, I do not doubt, as you say, the "validity of the Bible." I believe it with all my heart.

Why after all these years is there confusion? :puzzled: Well, my opinion...is that Satan is working in the minds of Christians harder than ever. Satan even quoted the KJV to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguraion in...Matthew 4:6...And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, HE SHALL GIVE HIS ANGELS CHARGE CONCERNING THEE: and IN THEIR HANDS THEY SHALL BEAR THEE UP, LEST AT ANY TIME THOU DASH THY FOOT AGAINST A STONE. KJV 1611 AV.

Satan quoted the KJV to Jesus in the first century B.C.??? How could that be? The KJV did not exist until 1611. Do you see how unreasonable your devotion to the KJV has made you?

Back on topic...Does anyone have scriptural proof that "preservation" means "all of God's words together in one publicly accessible volume?"

Guest Guest

Hi Annie...I just pull out an old Webster's Dictionary if I need clarification. To me...all the other versions do, is add confusion to my mind. Also, when I read Christian books "I eat the watermellon, and spit out the seeds". I don't need any "proof" on the KJV, because the "proof" is in my heart...not, in the minds of men. Hebrews 10:22-23...Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) KJV.

candlelight

• Members
Hi Annie...I just pull out an old Webster's Dictionary if I need clarification. To me...all the other versions do' date=' is add confusion to my mind. Also, when I read Christian books "I eat the watermellon, and spit out the seeds". I don't need any "proof" on the KJV, because the "proof" is in my heart...not, in the minds of men. Hebrews 10:22-23...Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) KJV.

candlelight

Did Satan quote the KJV to Jesus in the first century?

To one and all: I won't be checking back here for a while. Perhaps by the time I get a chance to look in again, someone will have answered my question. Have fun discussing! See ya later.

Guest Guest

Candlelight, if you are referring to me with this statement, I'd like to clarify something. I was not raised KJVO. (That was the version our family used for study and memorization, but we weren't KJVO.) I was not raised IFB. I did attend an IFB Christian school, but it was not KJVO. Lastly, I do not doubt, as you say, the "validity of the Bible." I believe it with all my heart.

Satan quoted the KJV to Jesus in the first century B.C.??? How could that be? The KJV did not exist until 1611. Do you see how unreasonable your devotion to the KJV has made you?

Hi Annie...I wasn't speaking to you directly. I am speaking to a multitude of people that don't believe that the KJV 1611 AV is truly the word of God.

Also, my devotion is certainly NOT unreasonable to the KJV. The Almighty has known His own word forever! It didn't get put in print until far after the first century BC...but, Satan knew the word of God in Heaven before he was cast out. The Devil has been using this "dirty" little tricks for an extremely long time. There is nothing new under the sun. It is the same old Satan playing his little games...he is baffling, cunning, and powerful. Jesus has always known his nasty games...that is why He had a rebuttle for Satan right after that scripture...Matthew 4:7...Jesus said unto him, It is written again, THOU SHALT NOT TEMPT THE LORD THY GOD. KJV 1611 AV

candlelight

Guest Guest

Also, my devotion is certainly NOT unreasonable to the KJV. The Almighty has known His own word forever! It didn't get put in print until far after the first century BC...but, Satan knew the word of God in Heaven before he was cast out. The Devil has been using this "dirty" little tricks for an extremely long time. There is nothing new under the sun. It is the same old Satan playing his little games...he is baffling, cunning, and powerful. Jesus has always known his nasty games...that is why He had a rebuttle for Satan right after that scripture...Matthew 4:7...Jesus said unto him, It is written again, THOU SHALT NOT TEMPT THE LORD THY GOD. KJV 1611 AV

candlelight

Amen! Keep up the good posting! :goodpost:

• Members
Did Satan quote the KJV to Jesus in the first century?

To one and all: I won't be checking back here for a while. Perhaps by the time I get a chance to look in again, someone will have answered my question. Have fun discussing! See ya later.

No, Satan didn't quote the KJV because it hadn't been translated yet. :loco

He quoted the word of God, which was later faithfully translated by the men who translated the KJV.

Okay, Annie, I'll say it: There is no verse in the KJV that says "Thou shalt only use the KJV, for only it is God's preserved word."

Is that what you are looking for?

(If that's what you're looking for, though, you may be shocked to learn that there are many Bible principles that are not so succinctly written.)

:thumb

We've been answering your question to the best of our ability with foundational truths from God's word that point to the KJV only as being the preserved word of God.

You have rejected these truths.

What more can we say than has already been said?

Guest Guest
Most of the people who I know that can't understand the KJV are educated above their own intelligence. :wink

:amen::goodpost: Again...the statement "men are in love with their minds." Do these intellectuals actually sit in their arm chairs, sipping on brandy...thinking up ways to pervert the word of God. :puzzled: They have clouded the minds of many truly good people. And, I am very sad about that. :sad

candlelight

Guest Guest

There will be little reasoning with Bible correctors and MV advocates through simple logic concerning the AV Bible.

The scriptures are clear and by faith I accept them as THE ( not a) Word of God.

The only thing to do is compare the Scriptures. When done so side by side, one cannot argue the accuracy and truth presented in the AV Bible - it stands alone.

Show the omissions, changes, and do so by comparing the text-- as it is written. The AV Bible will always shine forth in truth and clarity.

Leave the scholars in the ground, and their false glosses (definitions), and see the Lord gracefully declare the purity of the English Bible we call the AV.

See the differences in the text with no outside sources to interfere and confuse the reader, no greek- no hebrew, just the Scriptures in the English language, and the critics will be silent.

Been reading this and similar threads on OB and many other posts on different boards and have noticed the need for a sincere comparison to show the MV's for what they are. If one should desire to do such a thing, keep the comparisons limited to the text only-- then we shall see. . . :Bible:

• Members

Comparing English texts will help some sort out the issue of Bible versions. I also believe that some passages are strengthened for/in the KJV by looking at the passages in the underlying Hebrew and Greek. Showing that the underlying word or phrase means such and such and showing that certain MVs change the meaning also does a lot to disprove the MVs. Some passages in English may be somewhat hard to understand (especially if someone is ignorant of the meaning of the English words used when the KJV was translated) - but using a Strong's Concordance (for example) can show the meaning of the text and by contrast show that MVs are not translating that same meaning.

Guest Guest
Comparing English texts will help some sort out the issue of Bible versions. I also believe that some passages are strengthened for/in the KJV by looking at the passages in the underlying Hebrew and Greek. Showing that the underlying word or phrase means such and such and showing that certain MVs change the meaning also does a lot to disprove the MVs. Some passages in English may be somewhat hard to understand (especially if someone is ignorant of the meaning of the English words used when the KJV was translated) - but using a Strong's Concordance (for example) can show the meaning of the text and by contrast show that MVs are not translating that same meaning.

:amen: :thumb Well said, Jerry! And, the Strong's Concordance is excellent!

candlelight

Guest Guest
Seth (and others), where in any book of the Bible does God promise to preserve all of His words, all in one volume, in a publicly accessible fashion?

"Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

"Luke 11:33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light."

"Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

"Revelation 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

• Members
"Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
These are the words of David, a personal testimony. This verse says nothing about God preserving his words all together in a publicly accessible place.

"Luke 11:33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light."

Seth, do you know what the "light" is in this passage? It is referring to believers. "YE are the light of the world." I could be mistaken about that; I'm not looking right at the context. It could be referring to Jesus's words "I am the light of the world." Either way, it's not talking about God's words at all. To connect it to the Psalm 119 verse just because it shares one word is a gross misuse of Scripture.

"Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"
Where is the reference to God's words all being preserved in the same, publicly accessible volume? Am I missing something?

Guest Guest
These are the words of David, a personal testimony.

"2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

Seth, do you know what the "light" is in this passage? It is referring to believers. "YE are the light of the world." It's not talking about God's words at all. To connect it to the Psalm 119 verse just because it shares one word is a gross misuse of Scripture.

"Revelation 19:11-13 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

"John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

"1 John 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one."

"2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

"Matthew 13:9-13 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand."

"John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word."

"Revelation 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."