• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great explaination futurehope, and that's why I hate it when someone just comes down on ALL CCM lumping it all together. Take it band by band. Most of them I won't listen to either.

By the way, I heard a preacher say this once and it was great: "to err on the side of caution is to still be in error".

I didn't realize that Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley and the others in our traditional hymnals were so heavily influenced by music they had not heard yet.

I didn't realize that Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley and the others in our traditional hymnals were so heavily influenced by music they had not heard yet.

The style they are played on either the piano or guitar have there roots in country or blues. That is what I have heard anyways. Maybe, your piano lady plays it note for note IDK.

The style they are played on either the piano or guitar have there roots in country or blues. That is what I have heard anyways. Maybe, your piano lady plays it note for note IDK.

Their music was not influenced by country, blues, etc. That style as we know it today did not even exist then. Now what you will see is some people who take old hymns and adapt them to a "country" style. The song "Amazing Grace" comes to mind, but it is hardly the only one. It is sort of like what you often hear done to our national anthem, it is written one way, but it is often modified to make it more "modern". Sometimes the modifications go so far that it sounds more like a rock or country song than what it was written as. That doesn't mean that Francis Scott Key was a writer of rock or country music though. :wink

By the way the National Anthem was a poem that was printed in newspapers after the War of 1812 Francis never intended it to be a song. The music was set to it afterwards and it went along with an old English Pub song. Tank

True enough, and I should have known that. :ooops The rest of the point still stands though. The hymns of Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley, etc. were not influenced by country, the blues, etc.

• Members
By the way the National Anthem was a poem that was printed in newspapers after the War of 1812 Francis never intended it to be a song. The music was set to it afterwards and it went along with an old English Pub song.

Well...that explains why I don't care for "The Star Spangled Banner". I think "Oh Beautiful For Spacious Skies" or "My Country Tis Of Thee" would have been much better choices for a National Anthem.

That was a great explaination futurehope' date=' and that's why I hate it when someone just comes down on ALL CCM lumping it all together. Take it band by band. Most of them I won't listen to either.[/quote']

So in other words I need to listen and wade through all the CCM garbage in order to find the occasional pearl? I would just as soon keep my worship holy from the onset and not ever cast my pearls (in this case righteous music) before swine (in this case CCM).

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

It's kind of like caviar...people say it's an acquired taste. I tried it once and did not like it. I am not going to wade through 50 "Jars of Clay" (or fish eggs) until I discover I like it.

Goodness, gracious. :smile I have been on vacation all week, and this thread is still going strong? LOL.

I enjoyed reading the posts. There are many good arguments from both sides. I will stay with my traditional worship hymns, but...hubby has now decided he likes CCM? Hmmm? He was saved at age 13...and, I was saved at age 39. I dunno? Thankfully, he doesn't have a desire to sing in church. At least, I don't think he does? :Green

I don't have a scripture verse, at this point...future, but...what does everyone think of the CCM artist Rebecca St. James, and the CCM group, Point of Grace? Hubby has now returned from vacation refreshed and ready to listen to CCM. My SIL loves CCM...and, she listened to it on our vacation. DH loved it! Fire away everyone. I am all ears.

:goodpost: Everyone.

• Members

Yes...for some it is better to be staring up at a screen and quoting the verses. :Green

Bottom line is who is getting the glory, God or the performer and/or music? All the contemporary services I have ever been to, it seems, the performers were primarily concerned about how they sounded, looked, and performed. I saw little love of God and much love of self. That said, I have also seen that happen in more traditional services as well, but not as frequently.

Where I worship, we stick to the traditional hymnals, but current music is sung as well, typically in specials, provided it is traditional in nature. All instruments are acoustic, no one holds a mike and no choreography. That may seem harsh to some, but it works for us. No one can come to our service and say God isn't glorified.

:amen:

Goodness, gracious. :smile I have been on vacation all week, and this thread is still going strong? LOL.

I enjoyed reading the posts. There are many good arguments from both sides. I will stay with my traditional worship hymns, but...hubby has now decided he likes CCM? Hmmm? He was saved at age 13...and, I was saved at age 39. I dunno? Thankfully, he doesn't have a desire to sing in church. At least, I don't think he does? :Green

I don't have a scripture verse, at this point...future, but...what does everyone think of the CCM artist Rebecca St. James, and the CCM group, Point of Grace? Hubby has now returned from vacation refreshed and ready to listen to CCM. My SIL loves CCM...and, she listened to it on our vacation. DH loved it! Fire away everyone. I am all ears.

:goodpost: Everyone.

I like most of them Jeremy Camp is one of my favorites your kids might like him and Building 429. The singer of Building 429 is very open about his parents divorce when he was a teen and the negative but positive effect it had on him because the sitution led to his salvation I believe. Brandon Heaths new song "Give me your eyes." is a tear jerker. Tank

I like most of them Jeremy Camp is one of my favorites your kids might like him and Building 429. The singer of Building 429 is very open about his parents divorce when he was a teen and the negative but positive effect it had on him because the sitution led to his salvation I believe. Brandon Heaths new song "Give me your eyes." is a tear jerker. Tank

Thanks, Tank. :smile I am just so happy that my hubby has stopped listening to "talk radio" at work and in the car. :clap: IMHO, it is sooo opinionated. The politics are horrific, IMO. Those stations grate on my nerves. LOL. He isn't much of a "music" person, but, CCM is appealing to him lately. I am thankful for that.

I remember when Jeremy Camp lost his wife. The song he wrote, "I Still Believe in You" brought tears to my eyes. Those words came directly from his heart, IMO. Thank you for the name..."Building 429." My son and step-daughter should be able to relate to this group. :smile I have never heard of Brandon Heaths, either. Thanks, Tank. Where have I been? :puzzled:

• Members

Personally, I don't care for Jeremy Camp. I feel like I have to strain to understand what he's saying so it doesn't encourage me when I hear his songs. Plus, I have trouble seeing a pastor in earrings. lol Casting Crowns, on the other hand, has very easy to understand lyrics, maybe that's why they're one of the few groups I really like. Plus, they deal with real-life issues and don't mince words. I like that. :thumb

Personally' date=' I don't care for Jeremy Camp. I feel like I have to strain to understand what he's saying so it doesn't encourage me when I hear his songs. Plus, I have trouble seeing a pastor in earrings. lol Casting Crowns, on the other hand, has very easy to understand lyrics, maybe that's why they're one of the few groups I really like. Plus, they deal with real-life issues and don't mince words. I like that. :thumb[/quote']

Hey, Kevin. Guess what, brother? I got the "Casting Crowns" CD. It is the one with "One Disc. Two Experiences." It is rather good. Thank you for the recommendation. :thumb Hubby loves it! CCM is bringing him closer to the Lord, I believe. He is not that great about emotions, and I think the CCM songs are helping him in a good way. My Gospel songs are a bit much for him at times...he says. :-S I love them, though. :thumb

Jeremy Camp... :lol: I don't even know what he looks like. Thanks for letting me know. BTW, If you desire, please go to my church website...http://www.CRBC-online.org, and scroll down to "Online Ministries." My pastor preached/taught a sermon entitled "The Bible and Music" on Wednesday, 8-6-08. The last part of his message gets into music, and I want to let you know that he is not against CCM per se. You'll hear a song at the end of the service that he listens to at home.

I am "lightening up" b/c my pastor mentions being "doctrinally strong." Well, you will hear it in his message. He learned more of "What NOT to do as an IFB preacher." I thought of you, Kevin. You see, my second-oldest brother is much like you, as I have stated...he is a Catholic, but, seeking. :pray I also think your personality is a "young" Pastor Jenkins. Your heart is in the right place, Kevin. This is awesome. :thumb My pastor was raised IFB all the way. However, he treats people the way Jesus would treat them. We are Baptist, but our pastor ALWAYS calls himself a Christian, first...and, a Baptist, second. Of course, my pastor is the best, IMHO. We are so thankful that he is our pastor. We came out of the "Military Camp" of the Baptist churches. However, I am VERY grateful for that strong-minded "no bones about it" kind of preaching. As my mom used to say...my old IFB pastor "was a little, out of touch." My mom is a sweety. I love my old pastor...and, he is the most merciful pastor in this area. It is well-known here. He will walk the whole earth over to help anyone in need. He is a reformed-alcoholic and ex-smoker. The Lord Jesus Christ took these sins from him the day he was saved. His family was suffering b/c of his sins. He repented later in life, and got right with the Lord. He is in the missionary field, now...at age 67. Look out Europe! hehe. Every pastor, assistant pastor, missionary pastor, has one tremendous "spiritual gift" from God. It stands out above the rest. Have you ordered and taken that test that I put on OB? It is non-denominational. I have a guess as to what your "spiritual gift" is. LOL. I know that the Lord is and will use you in the BEST way possible. May Christ shine up you and the people of Korea. :pray

• Members

Sounds like you have a great pastor, which is awesome. I've always desired to have a pastor that is really compassionate and that I could have a relationship with. I'm glad that my pastor in Korea is like that. It's awesome when he'll take the time after a service to come back, sit next to you and ask if he can pray with you. That's something I've always wanted but never had and it was a great feeling. :thumb

I must've missed the test you posted. Where is it?
I've done another spiritual gift test, though, and I have two predominant gifts. My my predominant one is teaching, you probably never would've guessed. :wink My second one is mercy, it closely follows teaching as my strongest gift.

P.S. I hope CC is as encouraging to your husband as it has been to me. :thumb