• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="MrsW"]Umm I never realized that you were allowed to tell me what to do...[/quote]

Interesting take on the situation you have there. I wasn't telling you what to do - just suggesting for the benefit of everyone here. But it is becoming more and more obvious that the problem here is that you have two main issues:

1. A problem with authority (both that which God has put forth in His word and that which comes from those who He has place in positions of authority - and no, I'm not even talking about myself here).

2. A desire to do what and only what [b]you[/b] think is okay regardless of what anyone else or the scriptures say is correct. That is called foolish pride - in case you were wondering.

The sad part is, people offer you advice and you simply ignore them and become prideful and arrogant instead of humbly accepting correction and thanking fellow Christians for bringing things to your attention. Maybe you won't ever listen, but I'll just tell you this:

"It's far more important for us to hold to God's word than to ever hold on to those thing we have decided for ourselves."

:hijack:

I apologize to everyone for this getting way off topic and ask that we all head back to the original topic: Music in Church (and out of church for that matter) - what's appropriate?

He's out of line because he thinks that I am not interested in what Scripture says simply because nobody has proved from SCRIPTURE why CCM is wrong...if they do, I'd stop listening to it.

• Members

In quick response to Bro. Diego...
You gave a lot of opinions and circumstantial evidence to back up what you believe. However, I also have a lot of opinions and could give my share of circumstantial evidence on just about any topic I chose on any side that I chose. When we're dealing with things relating to Christianity, Scripture alone should be used to back up a call to abstain from something. The problem with the argument against CCM is that there is precious little in Scripture to go on to prove that it is sinful. I understand that you don't care for where it's come from or problems that it has caused and I agree that there are a lot of CCM artists that certainly have no appearance of Christianity about them. But does that mean that the music itself is inherently wrong, or even inherently to blame? I have a hard time finding the cause in that cause and effect sequence if such a one exists. I don't find anything in Scripture that clearly or by implication states that CCM or rock music is wrong.

Also, since you questioned MrsW's knowledge of music and the subject in general, I will say that I have done a good deal of study of both music, in general, and the subject of CCM. I'm certainly no musical genius and I don't have a tremendous amount of musical knowledge but I took music lessons for 9 or 10 years and I've studied many books against CCM but not one for it. I came to the conclusions that I have on my own.

• Members

Good kevin,

I challenge you now to study as you read all those books of the music, I challenge you to with an open heart to read verse by verse every time it talks about music in the BIble. There is more verses that talks about music (around 500) that verses that talks about heaven or hell, wow music its important for God! So really I challenge you everytime you are reading in your devotonal time a chapter and you see they say something about music mark it, and study it more calmely. Sounds good?

ps: Is there someone else in this forum that doesn't agree with CCM????

• Members
Good kevin,

I challenge you now to study as you read all those books of the music, I challenge you to with an open heart to read verse by verse every time it talks about music in the BIble. There is more verses that talks about music (around 500) that verses that talks about heaven or hell, wow music its important for God! So really I challenge you everytime you are reading in your devotonal time a chapter and you see they say something about music mark it, and study it more calmely. Sounds good?

Actually, I studied those books quite a bit. In fact, one particular book I turned to often to try and keep my beliefs against CCM propped up. Yes, as much as it may surprise you( :wink ), I was against any and all kinds of music with a repetitive drum beat. I studied the Scriptures on it and studied books on it. It wasn't until recently that I felt like I didn't have enough Scripture to stand on in order to remain standing against it. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I have to do what I feel is right according to what I understand in the Bible.

• Members
He's out of line because he thinks that I am not interested in what Scripture says simply because nobody has proved from SCRIPTURE why CCM is wrong...if they do' date=' I'd stop listening to it.[/quote']

I never said that anyone had shown CCM to be wrong and have not taken that stance in any of my posts. What I said was that neither of you had proven anything you had said based upon scripture and asked you back up your opinions with scripture so that it would not become a battle of what eachother think, but a proving of truth found in God's word.

BTW, thanks for your open mind in this matter Kevin. I appreciate another Christian who can see that I just want to keep us focussed on truth and not opinions and also on respecting eachother as Christians.

• Members
He's out of line because he thinks that I am not interested in what Scripture says simply because nobody has proved from SCRIPTURE why CCM is wrong...if they do' date=' I'd stop listening to it.[/quote']
I don't think he implied that, at all. He simply said that Scripture should be used. I personally don't think that Scripture can necessarily be used to promote CCM but that there is simply nothing against it. But still, there wasn't anything offensive in what he said. Just have a little more patience with people, it makes for more pleasant discussions. :wink

• Members

Kevin my friend,

At least you are open to study and see if its or its not God's will, I will pray God brings you back to the right believe about the music. :pray :wink

Have a good day.

Ps: they should put a coke in the smileys for all of us who don't like the coffee.

• Members
Good kevin,

This is not about whether or not an individual agrees with or disagrees with CCM!! Yet again Bro. Diego, you have not backed up what you are saying with scripture. :puzzled:

The point here is not about us, but about what God's word agrees with or - in all actuallity - WHAT AGREES WITH GOD'S WORD.

I'm neither for or against anyone here, I'm simply for the truth.

• Members
Kevin my friend,

At least you are open to study and see if its or its not God's will, I will pray God brings you back to the right believe about the music. :pray :wink

Have a good day.

Ps: they should put a coke in the smileys for all of us who don't like the coffee.

Again, what makes the belief you are referring to "right"? You can't accuse people of being wrong if you don't prove it to them. Why do you hold the beliefs you do?? Because your father believes that way or because you have found truth in the scriptures? If you are going to become a pastor, you are going to have to answer these types of questions more satisfactorily with the word of God or you will have a very hard time leading God's people and How will you teach them?

• Members
Kevin my friend,

Have a good day.

But what is the "right" belief based on Scripture? Remember, Sola Scriptura. :wink

• Members

Soo let's see if i understand you futurehope. By the way there is no neutral positions about music. If you don't have a problem with it you have accept it. And evidently you agree with it.

Now, are you telling me that because i challenge someone to study verse by verse the music issue its subjective opinion?

I gave you a website, that talks about music you can go read it and pretend it was me who wrote it, because i agree 100% on what it says. GO read it and tell me what you think.