• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

futurehope

Music in Church

Let me start with, yes, it may have already been discussed, but I'm a newbee and am going to ask anyway. I would like to hear some different perspectives on music for worship services including "specials" as they say. Let also say, I am not trying to start a huge debate or argument. I have heard it said that music should be limited to hymns and even with no piano all the way to Christian rock is suitable for specials. Now I don't think there is even a question when it comes to the "Christain rock", but what about milder forms of praise music or southern gospel? Any tasteful and respectful opinions on this. (It is always best to provide scripture to back your doctrine.)

I don't have a problem with some new music. If it is from the bible and uplifts God. I think the whole atittude behind the new praise and worship and rock style music is that of lets get rid of the "old". Lets throw out the KJV, lets get rid of the "old" ways and start something new and fresh. If a church can have newer praise and worship and not be touched by the new trends I have not found a church yet like this who haven't watered down the gospel or got rid of it for more seeker, market-driven mentality.

I don't have a problem with some new music. If it is from the bible and uplifts God. I think the whole atittude behind the new praise and worship and rock style music is that of lets get rid of the "old". Lets throw out the KJV' date=' lets get rid of the "old" ways and start something new and fresh. If a church can have newer praise and worship and not be touched by the new trends I have not found a church yet like this who haven't watered down the gospel or got rid of it for more seeker, market-driven mentality.[/quote']

This I must admit is the same for me and what I have seen. It seems to me that it's almost all about business and trying to make church appear "more fun" to the younger and very confused generations. But there is a lot of "new age" music that I think does praise God and solely focusses on Him. Why can't churches who like to use this type of music also cling to the KJB and teaching the Word with conviction and power??

Guest Guest

Jeff Deyo is great I think this type of worship music can be put into any church and made appropriate. The Pastor has the last say and if he is not into it then you have to decide where to worship. Tank

Jeff Deyo is great I think this type of worship music can be put into any church and made appropriate. The Pastor has the last say and if he is not into it then you have to decide where to worship. Tank

Shouldn't the Bible be the ruling authority here and not the pastor??

Guest Guest

It's not like the Bible tells us we can't listen to certain types of music, so, since it doesn't, I think it's quite acceptable for the pastor to decide. There is some music our pastor says might not be wrong but he won't allow it in the church because he doesn't want to set a precedent for bad music etc.

Our churches uses some modern selections, but they are very carefully selected and they are performed with an accoustic guitar. We also still sing hymns in every service as well. I like the use of good newer songs while not neglecting the good older songs.

I tend to prefer contemporary services. They are a whole lot more meaningful than people staring down at their hymnbooks and quoting the verses.

Yes...for some it is better to be staring up at a screen and quoting the verses. :Green

Bottom line is who is getting the glory, God or the performer and/or music? All the contemporary services I have ever been to, it seems, the performers were primarily concerned about how they sounded, looked, and performed. I saw little love of God and much love of self. That said, I have also seen that happen in more traditional services as well, but not as frequently.

Where I worship, we stick to the traditional hymnals, but current music is sung as well, typically in specials, provided it is traditional in nature. All instruments are acoustic, no one holds a mike and no choreography. That may seem harsh to some, but it works for us. No one can come to our service and say God isn't glorified.

It's not like the Bible tells us we can't listen to certain types of music' date=' so, since it doesn't, I think it's quite acceptable for the pastor to decide. There is some music our pastor says might not be wrong but he won't allow it in the church because he doesn't want to set a precedent for bad music etc.[/quote']

Exactly...there has to be some kind of "say" in church or it will be a free-for-all. The pastor is who God set here to keep the church "decently and in order".

We have very conservative music in our church. However at home we do enjoy some good southern gospel (not too modern) and western style music that we would not allow in church.

I agree also there are some things we don't allow just so that it doesn't get worse. For instance if we allowed "canned music" (cd accompaniments) there are many good ones out there...but if you allow one, you have to allow everybody's, and unless you totally listen to every single one and approve or disapprove, you are going to end up with some bad music. So we just don't allow it at all, to solve problems.

Aren't we told to obstain from all appearances of evil?? If this is true, then the bible is giving us direction to not listen to or take part in music that is representative of musical styles that are essentially "worshipped" by the evildoers of this world. Now don't get me wrong here I do like some modern music. I'm just making argument that I don't believe it's right to say that God's word hasn't given us the direction for this matter. We are also told not to worship God in the same manner that pagans worship their gods, aren't we??

I agree the Bible gives guidelines, but the Pastor is basically in charge of making sure the church follows those. It can't just be "every man for himself" in church.

I agree the Bible gives guidelines' date=' but the Pastor is basically in charge of making sure the church follows those. It can't just be "every man for himself" in church.[/quote']

I agree. It's the pastor's and deacons' job to ensure the what God's word puts for is adhered to. But it is the Word that judges right and wrong, not men. :thumb

Well of course, but the pastor is God's "mouthpiece" as far as the church goes, and if he is the right kind of pastor, he will be putting forth what God's Word says.

I tend to prefer contemporary services. They are a whole lot more meaningful than people staring down at their hymnbooks and quoting the verses.

If people in an old fashioned, fundamental, baptist church are staring down at their hymn books (I assume by this you mean that they are basically dead when it comes to works and excitement about God), then someone needs to wake up to the Word. If you are saying that the music used in the service determines how the Spirit of God moves on the people or how perceptive they are to the preaching of the word, you should really reconsider this. Because if this is the case, you've just made music the focal point of the church and that is what I would consider to be ... well, let's just say not such a good idea. The days of the tent revivals and Billy Sunday's preaching didn't need contempory music and the church today shouldn't need it either. It's simply a way to bring more of the world in so that luke warm Christians feel comfortable instead of convicted.

If people in an old fashioned, fundamental, baptist church are staring down at their hymn books (I assume by this you mean that they are basically dead when it comes to works and excitement about God), then someone needs to wake up to the Word. If you are saying that the music used in the service determines how the Spirit of God moves on the people or how perceptive they are to the preaching of the word, you should really reconsider this. Because if this is the case, you've just made music the focal point of the church and that is what I would consider to be ... well, let's just say not such a good idea. The days of the tent revivals and Billy Sunday's preaching didn't need contempory music and the church today shouldn't need it either. It's simply a way to bring more of the world in so that luke warm Christians feel comfortable instead of convicted.

:amen::goodpost: :clap:

Like others have mentioned, what's the difference between a person singing from a hymnal and a person singing from an overhead screen or from a bulletin?

For myself, there are several hymns I can either sing wholly or mostly without need to even look at the hymnal.

We don't have performers when we sing our services. On rare occasions, like last Father's Day, one of the church members might sing solo. However, we typically have the pastor's son (who is our youth/education pastor), play the accoustic guitar for the newer songs and our piano player plays the piano for the hymns. We have an organ but it's not used as often.

The newer songs are very specifically chosen because of their God-honouring lyrics. We don't sing any newer songs during our services to be "with it" or to "jazz things up". If the songs don't give glory to God and put forth a blessed message akin to the hymns we sing then they won't be used in our church.

I believe Jess posted some good newer songs in a thread earlier this year. There may have been another thread or two that also contained some good newer songs as well.

Guest Guest

:amen::goodpost::clap:

At the time they were singing in tent revivials the hymns were new to others. Just like they are to new believers today but those Hymns were not written by Baptists. So what is the difference?

I'm fairly certain that D.L. Moody was labeled a heretic when he decided to use the piano in revival meetings, rather than the organ. You see, the piano was thought to be honky tonk.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

I'm fairly certain that D.L. Moody was labeled a heretic when he decided to use the piano in revival meetings, rather than the organ. You see, the piano was thought to be honky tonk.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

It's not that the piano was honky tonk, but the way it was most commonly played by the world at the time that was honky tonk. See...even back then they did not want the influence of the world creeping into the church music. Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly". I don't believe anyone is speaking out against any specific instrument, per se, just the style in which it is played. Why must we allow the world's style of music (which is commonly associated with all that's bad) into the church? Again, Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly".

Guest Guest

It's not that the piano was honky tonk, but the way it was most commonly played by the world at the time that was honky tonk. See...even back then they did not want the influence of the world creeping into the church music. Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly". I don't believe anyone is speaking out against any specific instrument, per se, just the style in which it is played. Why must we allow the world's style of music (which is commonly associated with all that's bad) into the church? Again, Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly".

Just as a side note, I've seen a new trend of this old "honky tonk" piano style coming into modern IFB churches. I've seen students from Golden State Baptist College who play like this, and people think it sounds awesome. When I hear it, I think of old western movies where that kind of music is played in the saloon to "liven things up".

Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one? :Bleh

Just as a side note, I've seen a new trend of this old "honky tonk" piano style coming into modern IFB churches. I've seen students from Golden State Baptist College who play like this, and people think it sounds awesome. When I hear it, I think of old western movies where that kind of music is played in the saloon to "liven things up".

Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one? :Bleh

It absolutely drives me crazy!!! I've heard a couple people play that way before....it reminds me of saloon music as well. I don't like it. One time a guest speaker brought their own piano player, and she was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in that flowery style (which was also much higher notes than usual) during offering. It took everything in me not to speak up. When you play a song like that in a "lively, playful" manner it seems to communicate "I'm playing it this way for show and effect rather the sober reflection one would give it singing it played the way it was intended. Like it has been played for man's glory; not God's.

Guest Guest

It absolutely drives me crazy!!! I've heard a couple people play that way before....it reminds me of saloon music as well. I don't like it. One time a guest speaker brought their own piano player, and she was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in that flowery style (which was also much higher notes than usual) during offering. It took everything in me not to speak up. When you play a song like that in a "lively, playful" manner it seems to communicate "I'm playing it this way for show and effect rather the sober reflection one would give it singing it played the way it was intended. Like it has been played for man's glory; not God's.

Yeah, you're right.. it definitely seems too showy! It draws a lot of attention to the person playing the piano and their talent, and takes the focus off the words of the song. It might be great to have "peppy" music like that for some other kind of event (I can't think of one at the moment, though), but definitely not for church!!!

Guest Guest
At the time they were singing in tent revivials the hymns were new to others. Just like they are to new believers today but those Hymns were not written by Baptists. So what is the difference?

Hi Tank! :smile Many of our older hymns were not written by Baptists, only. The songs were inspired by the word of God---the KJV. Remember, back in those days many churches were using the KJV? I just believe that the music starting to change when all the MV's started coming into the churches. However, that is on another thread. Please---go there for that discussion---if you care, too---I DO want to keep this thread to music. :lol I just wanted to point out something. :wave:

I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be much passion in worship in the traditional church. It appears to me that people are simply doing what they're supposed to do and going through the motions. Many hymns are simply doctrinal poetry, anyway, rather than songs of worship and praise to God.

I'm not saying that the music determines how God moves but I think it sometimes sets the stage for it, and I think we can agree on that. In a contemporary service, it's not uncommon to see people raising their hands or closing their eyes as they sing a verse like, "Jesus, my Lord and King" or "I give myself to you." People are really saying it from their hearts and they are in a state of worship and contriteness before God, IMO.

I would most strongly disagree with your last statement. I have seen quite the contrary. I watch as Christians, Christians who are more passionate than I have ever seen about the things of God and seeing others saved, worship God in song and then listen to the pastor get up and preach something straight from God's Word and unashamedly.