• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"My Master, lead me to Thy door": ear offered in lifelong commitment

farouk

• Members

This verse refers to the bondservant character seen in the Old Testament.

My Master, lead me to Thy door;
Pierce this now willing ear once more;
Thy bonds are freedom; let me stay
With Thee, to toil, endure, obey.

(Handley Moule)

It's rather figurative, but in these days of individual rights and human autonomy I guess it gives an insight into attitudes of service and obedience to God, found in Scripture. The whole issue of lifelong commitment is one which goes right against the fickleness of the human heart, (and also contrasts with contemporary, half-hearted attitudes to marriage vows, and so forth). I reckon one could say that it really searches the heart and reinforces the fact that Christian profession is not something that should be entered into casually or lightly, (although so much of professing Christendom would tend to give an opposite impression). There were various verses to this hymn by Handley Moule.

I'm principally inclined to take this symbolism figuratively, although it has also been seen more literally, such as by Elisabeth Hoekstra, in 'A Heart After God': "I had each ear pierced a second time. Some could say I had the second holes done in response to a trend. But I know my heart's interest: I wanted my commitment inside to be seen outside. I wanted the second hole to be a sign of obedience and a mark of ownership. Like the Hebrew servants in the Old Testament, I opted for the choice of staying a servant with my Master. I wanted to serve Him for life."

• Members

Many professing Christians follow the world never realizing that they are not following Jesus.

Jerry:

I'm sure what you say is true, although what exactly you refer to isn't spelled out in your comment.

Re. Moule and the Old Testament bondservant allusion, I'm inclined to look at it from a figurative point of view, although originally the act of boring the ear was actually done.

• Members

The act of putting a large hole in the ear of a slave who had agreed to be a slave for life to that master was specific to that situation and not applied elsewhere.

The New Testament tells us the outward signs of our submission to Christ will be seen through the fruit we bear, the love we have for our fellows in Christ; not in putting holes in our ears, cross tattoos on our arms, wearing Christian t-shirts or having a fish logo on the back of our car.

• Members

The subject of God's perfect servant is eloquently brought out in Mark's Gospel. Much of the meaning of Isaiah 53 is seen in the servant character of the Lord Jesus. Philippians 2 is a great passage which emphasizes the servant form and perfect obedience unto death of the Lord Jesus.

In so many ways, the subject is traceable through Scripture and makes a great study.

• Members

The subject of God's perfect servant is eloquently brought out in Mark's Gospel. Much of the meaning of Isaiah 53 is seen in the servant character of the Lord Jesus. Philippians 2 is a great passage which emphasizes the servant form and perfect obedience unto death of the Lord Jesus.

In so many ways, the subject is traceable through Scripture and makes a great study.

No doubt we are to be fully subject to Christ as Lord, I was only pointing out that the outward sign of poking a big hole in an ear is not called for to show a Christians submission to Christ.

• Members

No doubt we are to be fully subject to Christ as Lord, I was only pointing out that the outward sign of poking a big hole in an ear is not called for to show a Christians submission to Christ.

Oh, it's not necessary, no.

• Members

PS: I wouldn't argue either for or against the practice of ear piercing, single or more, on the basis of the meditation; separate matters entirely, I guess. I don't have a particular problem with the practice.

• Members

PS: I wouldn't argue either for or against the practice of ear piercing, single or more, on the basis of the meditation; separate matters entirely, I guess. I don't have a particular problem with the practice.

As has been put forth in other posts, there are many other Scriptures which apply to that.

• Members

As has been put forth in other posts, there are many other Scriptures which apply to that.

John81: Well I don't see from Scripture where people's preferences, likes and dislikes on matters such as sets of ear piercings can be directly deemed to be 'right' or 'wrong'.

It all pales greatly in the face of the theme of servanthood in the Old and New Testaments. Edited by farouk

• Members

John81: Well I don't see from Scripture where people's preferences, likes and dislikes on matters such as sets of ear piercings can be directly deemed to be 'right' or 'wrong'.

It all pales greatly in the face of the theme of servanthood in the Old and New Testaments.

The major part of being a good servant is giving up our own desires and doing all for the Glory of our Master, obeying Him in all things. Doing anything that would detract from that makes us less effective, less obedient and less of a good servant.

We should be more than willing to give up the pleasures of the world, our personal preferences and such for the sake of serving God.

• Members

The major part of being a good servant is giving up our own desires and doing all for the Glory of our Master, obeying Him in all things. Doing anything that would detract from that makes us less effective, less obedient and less of a good servant.

We should be more than willing to give up the pleasures of the world, our personal preferences and such for the sake of serving God.

John81:

In general terms there is truth to what you say, but I find it a real stretch to countenance the claim that Scripture even prohibits a Godly woman from something such as making her choice about sets of ear piercings. It seems a real, big leap to arrive at that conclusion as supposedly being binding on all Godly women everywhere.

Re. personal preferences, you and I often have all sorts of subjective personal preferences which are neither 'right' not 'wrong'; for me to try to sound righteous about subjective likes and dislikes has little to do with imitating the perfect servant character of the Lord, in my view.

• Members

John81:

In general terms there is truth to what you say, but I find it a real stretch to countenance the claim that Scripture even prohibits a Godly woman from something such as making her choice about sets of ear piercings. It seems a real, big leap to arrive at that conclusion as supposedly being binding on all Godly women everywhere.

Re. personal preferences, you and I often have all sorts of subjective personal preferences which are neither 'right' not 'wrong'; for me to try to sound righteous about subjective likes and dislikes has little to do with imitating the perfect servant character of the Lord, in my view.

Jan and Jake are Christian youth. Would it advance the cause of Christ or have the potential to harm the cause of Christ for Jan to get a tattoo where all could see and for Jake to pierce his ears? What about if Jan decides to wear her hair like a man and Jake decides to wear his like a woman?

How about if Jan and Jake think they have liberty to drink a few beers when they feel like it. Will this honour Christ?

What if Jan and Jake decide they want to dress like hippies or outlaw bikers?

Personal preferences aren't all neutral, and certainly not those which others can see, hear or otherwise take note of. Even in the secular world it's acknowledged that personal preferences which the public can take note of can be of a conservative or liberal nature; can take on the nature of good or evil.

• Members

Jan and Jake are Christian youth. Would it advance the cause of Christ or have the potential to harm the cause of Christ for Jan to get a tattoo where all could see and for Jake to pierce his ears? What about if Jan decides to wear her hair like a man and Jake decides to wear his like a woman?

How about if Jan and Jake think they have liberty to drink a few beers when they feel like it. Will this honour Christ?

What if Jan and Jake decide they want to dress like hippies or outlaw bikers?

Personal preferences aren't all neutral, and certainly not those which others can see, hear or otherwise take note of. Even in the secular world it's acknowledged that personal preferences which the public can take note of can be of a conservative or liberal nature; can take on the nature of good or evil.

John81:

Did I mention anything about beer drinking, or hippies?

But even Scripture mentions ear piercing, so for guys like us to want to police Godly women making subjective choices about such matters would seem to me to be going 'over the top'.

I, at least, don't go to a local church where such a matter would be intruded into (if Romans 14 means anything in terms of personal liberty).

Anyway, I think the theme of servanthood in Scripture makes an edifying study. (But I don't think it edifies people to make one person's preferences supposedly binding on other people.)

• Members

Did I mention anything about beer drinking, or hippies?

But even Scripture mentions ear piercing, so for guys like us to want to police Godly women making subjective choices about such matters would seem to me to be going 'over the top'.

I, at least, don't go to a local church where such a matter would be intruded into (if Romans 14 means anything in terms of personal liberty).

Anyway, I think the theme of servanthood in Scripture makes an edifying study. (But I don't think it edifies people to make one person's preferences supposedly binding on other people.)

You said matters of personal preference.

I never said a thing about guys policing women with regards to pierced ears. In fact, in my example it was the male who had his ears pierced.

I also said nothing about anyone making their personal preferences binding on anyone else. What I spoke to was the fact Scripture calls us to lay aside our personal preferences for the sake of Christ. We should willingly abstain from anything that might limit our witness, taint our testimony, tarnish the name of Christ, hinder our pursuit of holiness for His glory and honour.