• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Only Begotten (MONOGENES)

• Members

God isn't going to ask someone, "Where were you when I did..." when He hadn't done it yet.

Regardless of people's interpretation of Genesis 6, that is not the only OT passage that uses the term sons of God. In fact, the passage being discussed here is from Job - so regardless of where someone stands on Genesis 6, that still doesn't change whether God used the term sons of God to refer to angels elsewhere.

Here is another term He uses in reference to angels: the host of heaven or heavenly host.

Nehemiah 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

1 Kings 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

Luke 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

heartstrings, interesting how you decided to respond after I stated that discussing this topic will lead nowhere with those who are close-minded. Let's try this again! To state that "sons of God" refers to believers in the OT is eisegesis, really poor exegesis. Greek is not Hebrew and Hebrew is not Greek, but apparently this argument means nothing to you because it would be "correcting" the KJV which is lame rebattal. The objection exists that the New Testament calls saints the sons of God (Jn. 1:12, Rom. 8:14, 1 Jn. 3:1, etc.), and the Old Testament does refer to Israel as God's son, Jews as His children (Ex 4:22, 23; Deut 14:1, 32:5; Ps 73:15, 82:6, Isa 43:6, 63:16, Hos 1:10), and their Anointed rulers as His son (Ps. 2:12, 2 Sam. 7:14, 1 Ch 17:13). Nevertheless, the exact phraseology employed here does pertain exclusively to angels before New Testament times. the morning stars are believers. It is clear that the Lord is saying to Job that he had no business questioning God because God is God (still a good thing to keep in mind today). God makes His point by saying in effect "where were you when I created the heavens and the earth. That being the case the morning stars cannot be believers. Man wasn't created until the 6th day, i.e. six days after "the foundation of the earth" was laid. Now are you going ignore all of that? Btw, I'm wise enough to know that even if we we're to wrangle with until the 2nd coming of Christ, you will NOT accept correction. You can come up with any doctrine if one wrenches the scripture enough.

Explain to me what the "morning stars" of Job 38 actually are, by comparing scripture with scripture, because nobody has done that so far.

Ok, let's compare scripture with scripture!

Revelation 22:16 - I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Using your "logic," (sons of God in the OT and NT have the same meaning) in the OT refers to literal stars, then Jesus is also some star in the night sky, correct? I am locking this thread because it is leading nowhere! I have the feeling that you are not here to learn, but to argue and shove your theology down peoples throats!

Love,
Madeline