• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastors that live on the church properties.

Go to solution Solved by Disciple.Luke,

• Members
11 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

If I were a pastor, I would not want to live on the church property. Is it a benefit or just more control over him and his family?

Free rent is not always free. ? 

It depends on the congregation he's serving. The church I grew up in provided residences for the pastor and assistant pastor. The pastor served there for over 30 years. His son became the assistant pastor and had his house provided. Later on, as the church grew, the youth pastor had his residence provided as well. It can be a blessing, but, it can also be a curse. When the pastor resigned he had to move out of the parsonage into an apartment. It wasn't good for him.

• Members
  • Solution
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

It depends on the congregation he's serving. The church I grew up in provided residences for the pastor and assistant pastor. The pastor served there for over 30 years. His son became the assistant pastor and had his house provided. Later on, as the church grew, the youth pastor had his residence provided as well. It can be a blessing, but, it can also be a curse. When the pastor resigned he had to move out of the parsonage into an apartment. It wasn't good for him.

That pretty much sums up what I've seen too. My great Uncle was one of the Wesleyan pastors here for as long as I can remember. I know that him and his family lived in a home paid for by the church but later on when his kids became adults he was able to purchase his own house. I know one of the youth pastors lived there briefly before the house was sold and the profits went back into the church.

I also know that the IFB has two living quarters on the property. I'm not even sure what exactly they are called but it looks like two small mobile homes connected to make two apartments. That lodging is for visiting pastors, musicians, or even new employees until they can get settled. I don't believe any of the staff stayed in church owned homes by the time I began attending but they may have at one time. I know the church provided a vehicle for the Pastor but most times they chose not to use it.

I can only think of two congregations where I know they own homes either right next to or very close to the congregations for their Pastors but they are both fairly small congregations.