• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

English or Other Translation(s) Older Than KJV

• Members
20 hours ago, SureWord said:

The KJV is the pure word of God but you can be saved from any version of the bible. You just might not grow as much fruit.

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you, but may I ask how you substantiate that the KJV is the 'pure word of God'? And which version of the KJV are you referring to?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, bluewater said:

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you, but may I ask how you substantiate that the KJV is the 'pure word of God'? And which version of the KJV are you referring to?

As to which version of the KJV is a little misleading. The changes made from one KJV to the next are spelling changes, changing the archaic "F" to an "S", etc. No textual changes were made. Compare a Tyndale bible to the KJV and you will find very few dissimilarities, because both Bibles use the same underlying manuscripts. It was the publishing of the Tyndale Bible that began the Reformation in the 1500's. Inspiration and preservation are two parts of a whole. Either one is useless without the other. Since the KJV is an accurate translation of the correct manuscripts, it is reliable in every aspect. I hope this helps. Are you leaning towards another version?

• Members

I once tried to date all the northern kingdom kings and the southern kingdom kings. Simple, right? I had a Bible and a spreadsheet, no problem. I soon learned that some  kings had more than one name and that Kings and Chronicles gave different ages to a king. Some kings are dated according to their anointing and some to their seating. David was anointed three times! Some kings co-reigned with their fathers and the word "Son" can apply to a grandson, or a distant progeny. Eg: Matthew 1:1   "The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham."  I also found that scholars had been arguing these very things. After doing a lot of research I found solutions to every discrepancy. Other translations "fixed" the problems by making Chronicles and Kings agree. That was the exact wrong thing to do. Thanks to David Cloud's excellent book Things hard to be Understood the explanation was make clear to me and my faith in the KJV strengthened. Study your Bible, ask God to show you the truth, and wait for the answer. Forums are nice, but they cannot replace real study.

Edited by Joe Chandler

• Members
On 5/17/2023 at 10:00 AM, Joe Chandler said:

As to which version of the KJV is a little misleading. The changes made from one KJV to the next are spelling changes, changing the archaic "F" to an "S", etc. No textual changes were made. Compare a Tyndale bible to the KJV and you will find very few dissimilarities, because both Bibles use the same underlying manuscripts. It was the publishing of the Tyndale Bible that began the Reformation in the 1500's. Inspiration and preservation are two parts of a whole. Either one is useless without the other. Since the KJV is an accurate translation of the correct manuscripts, it is reliable in every aspect. I hope this helps. Are you leaning towards another version?

When studying I read NASB95, KJV and the TR Greek New Testament.