• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

is it sin to lie?

• Members

We all know what God allowed, but that does not mean its the right thing to do.

One thing we can be assured of, if we tell the truth we can never go worng, for comparing scriputres to scriptures telling a lie is wrong.

Many times it take much more faith to tell the truth.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes people lie because they want to keep their friends happy. It's really hard to maintain a smooth long-lasting friendship by telling only the truth. It's good to be honest, still being too blunt can hurt people's feeling. In the commandment 'thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbour' does it also include exaggeration? I think that 'the neighbour' includes people we come in contact with. I have to admit I like to gossip because I'm a girl but I wouldn't want to portray a person in a 'dark' light.

• Members
Sometimes people lie because they want to keep their friends happy. It's really hard to maintain a smooth long-lasting friendship by telling only the truth. It's good to be honest' date=' still being too blunt can hurt people's feeling. In the commandment 'thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbour' does it also include exaggeration? I think that 'the neighbour' includes people we come in contact with. I have to admit I like to gossip because I'm a girl but I wouldn't want to portray a person in a 'dark' light.[/quote']

one thing someone taught be is that instead of lying, find something positive to say about it. You don't have to tell them your negative thoughts..

Like if someone's hat look tacky... find something positive about it.. is it colorful? if so, just say, "That's a very colorful hat" or "fun" or "unique" You are not lying when you are trying to find the positive side of things.

And you can like her hat once you find something positive about it (if she ask you if you like it) .. It just mean you like it because it's colorful. of course, you probably would not wear it yourself.

• Members

BTW, my 7 years old son had made me a sandwich before. I couldn't tell him it tasted yucky. So instead, I told him I love it. And that's the truth. I really did love that sandwich because it was his love and thoughtfulness that made it special, I didn't care if he mixed mustard and peanut butter and applesauce together.

• Members

actually this is the second time we have a head to head debate. the first one was last year when he said masturbation is not a sin. he compared masturbation in wine. drinking wine or liquor is not a sin but being drunk is.

this time when my one of my group ask if white lies is a sin.
then he responded when was lie become a sin. then i responded giving exodus 20:16

16Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

but he said lie become sin when lying was fall into this category (lying against your neighbour)

then i gave John 8:44

44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

but he answered me:

And so you think this would mean ALL lies are from Satan? No, for even God uses lying Spirits.

23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."

1 Kings 22:23

then after long discussion he insisted

But lying is not a sin to begin with.

his answer is very similar to his answer about masturbation a year ago

But masturbation is not a sin to begin with.

and then to support his claim, he site an example in Hebrews 11:31 when apostle paul see her as faithful women. his stand is if you lie for a good reason, your not sinning. his explanation regarding exodus 20:16 is lie become sin when you lie against your neighbour but in rahab case, she does not lie against her neighbour but he lied for her neighbour. if not by lying, those spies were all killed by the soldiers who is searching that time. she lied to protect the spies thats shy she never sinned.

rahab was commended because she lied to protect the spies.

anyway he is UMC from malaysia. he is very good debater.

LOL you guys are like going all crazy' date=' we point out Ezekiel and you guys act like we are advocating regular lying.[/quote']

:lol: Gotta love OB. Some things never change. I love it. :thumb We really need to get together for an "OB Reunion" some day. These screens don't do anyone's personality any justice, IMHO. The body language thing being 90% of what we say---sometimes it is sooo difficult to understand. :puzzled: At least for me. :smile

BTW, your typical politician..."I did NOT tell a lie." :lol Yeah, right. :lol:

one thing someone taught be is that instead of lying, find something positive to say about it. You don't have to tell them your negative thoughts..

Like if someone's hat look tacky... find something positive about it.. is it colorful? if so, just say, "That's a very colorful hat" or "fun" or "unique" You are not lying when you are trying to find the positive side of things.

Thank you, deafnva77. :smile My problem has always been with being too "blunt." I offend people, sometimes. I have to work on this "defective" personality trait on a daily basis. :pray for myself on this one.

when someone ask me about what the bible says' date=' that's when I am blunt. But the rest don't matter as long as it is not against the bible.[/quote']

I am just "plain" blunt. :lol Thank the Lord, He has given me "blunt" as far as the Bible. The rest, I have to work on. As a child, I was meek and mild. I was very shy, quiet, and reserved until about age 25. I want to gain back some of those qualites. :pray

• Members
Some people have never learned the lesson of controlling their tongue; claiming that they must "tell it like it is." I'm not sure judicially keeping one's mouth quiet at the right moments is lying and thus a sin.

My grandpa taught me that the Good Lord gave us two ears and only one mouth for a reason - we should listen twice as much as we speak.

My grandma taught me that if you can't say something nice, then don't say nothing at all.

Though they were "old school", those two rules have got me quite a long ways in my life, without having to lie, cheat or steal to do it.

Proverbs 31:26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

• Members

I had a great aunt who was blunt, very out spoken, I loved her to death and spent much time around her and her husband in my growing up days.

One thing for sure, you never had to worry about how she felt about you, you knew where she stood. That I can respect.

Oh, one of my great Aunt Clara's last enjoyments in life was having a Dr. Pepper, it gave me a joy to visit her at the nursing home and walk her to the coke machine and get her one and or later on take one to her room.

But I must say, this did cause feathers to ruffle up a few times with her husband.

I just can't respect those who are wishy washy and you never know their true feeling. They tip toe around acting as if they fear they will hurt yours or someone's else's feeling if they take a firm stand. I have found that some pastors are that way. How can one expound the truth if they're like that?

• Members

my grandma was blunt alot of time..

It hurted my parent's marriage because she was always putting down my father and us kids. Always negative. That's why I think people have to be careful what they say. Words really do hurt.

of course, I'm not talking about what the bible says.. but just general things. It is really necessary to tell someone their clothes outdated, or their speech is horrible, or their writing is terrible <--- from my experience. I took many english class--even college english-- and college writing class for people who want to improve-- and speech therapies.. and I still can't get it. But people keep being blunt about it and it hurts.. is it really THAT important to keep reminding me that I have terrible writing skills and I need to improve?.. how about finding a positive side about my writing skills.. at least I can spell. This is what I mean (in fact, I am sure you have some thoughts that you wouldn't say at loud).

Too bad people decide to be careful what they say when it comes to the bible, and not the other way around...

<----and I am speaking exactly what's in my mind. :)