• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Lineage Of David And The House Of David

2bLikeJesus

• Members

I was witnessing to a Jewish person a week ago and found something he said interesting.  He said one of the reasons the Jews reject the man Jesus as being the messiah is because he is not from the "line or lineage" of David.  They point to Jesus's great-great-great-grandmother who was Ruth (a Moabite) saying that the Line, but not the House of David (since it resides in the husband not the wife) was broken.  I tried to show him that God in His word was careful to show Jesus as being from the HOUSE of David and not the lineage of David.

Luke 1:27 (KJV)
27  To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 

Luke 1:69 (KJV)
69  And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David

Just a thought if you are witnessing to a Jewish person.

Bro. Garry

• Members

I was witnessing to a Jewish person a week ago and found something he said interesting.  He said one of the reasons the Jews reject the man Jesus as being the messiah is because he is not from the "line or lineage" of David.  They point to Jesus's great-great-great-grandmother who was Ruth (a Moabite) saying that the Line, but not the House of David (since it resides in the husband not the wife) was broken.  I tried to show him that God in His word was careful to show Jesus as being from the HOUSE of David and not the lineage of David.

Both house & lineage:

Luke 2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

I don't follow the argument - Ruth is not in the line FROM David, but before David. David himself should have been disqualified:

Deut. 23:3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

Archived