• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

spiritual mindedness our goal?

irishman

• Members

have you ever heard the expression "They are so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good"?

Isn't that how we are supposed to be? Why would i want to be any "earthly good" anyway?

A couple of scriptures are brought to mind concerning this subject:
Heavenly minded:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Mt. 6:33,34)

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. (Col. 3:1,2)

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:(Phil. 2:5)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Phil. 4:8), etc, etc.

No earthly good
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. (Rom. 8:6)

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Rom. 12:2)

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (2 Cor. 6:14) etc., etc.

• Members

Luke 6:27 ¶ But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Gal 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [men], especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

I suggest that the expression originates with RC & pagan "holy men" whose preoccupation with meditation & separation removes them from the people they should be serving.

If true Christians are so accused, it is likely because we are not complying with the accusers, but rather convicting them.

Luk 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

1Pe 3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

• Members

The expression is generally referring to those who see themselves as "holier than thou". They set themselves up on a "heavenly" platform above others and are not about God's business here on earth.

It's very true our heart should be set upon our Saviour in heaven, we should be laying up our treasures in heaven, our affection is to be towards Christ.

In setting our hearts in this manner our selfish desires should be left behind and our time here on earth should be spent in doing the work of the Lord...spreading the Gospel, being His ambassadors, making disciples, being salt and light, feeding the poor, helping the widow, praying for our enemies, etc.

Done biblically, if we are truly "heavenly minded" we will be of much "earthly good" (good while on earth) in that we will be doing the Father's will on earth.

Of course it's not a biblical statement so it has its flaws and is viewed and used in various ways. I've noticed over the past decade or so that many watered down or worldly "Christians" use this statement as a slogan for why they don't practice biblical separation and they are so much in the world.

As Christians, our guiding principle should be "Thy will be done". This is biblical and to the point and we must know and abide by the Word to fulfill this.

• Members

Myself, I would take it s a compliment although I know that one who says it does not mean it in a complimentary way. I suppose we all would like like to achieve "heavenly mindedness" to the point that we would be as John the Baptist in separation from the world., but I also realize that we never will achieve it in this lifetime. many called Jesus names when he did not conform to their idea of what Christianity is all about too.
That is my take on it.

• Members

Those who denounced Jesus were the hypocrit Pharisees and such, the supposed religious leaders who thought of themselves as so much holier than thou that anyone who didn't keep their strict, mostly man-made rules was viewed by them as "sinners".

When viewed in the light of Scripture, Jesus is clearly seen as being so in tune with the Father, He was continually doing the Fathers will on earth.

The same problems come about today when some look upon others based upon man-made doctrine or rules rather than by the Word of God.