• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to correct a brother or sister in Christ?

• Members

How can we correct a person's  biblicaly without cutting their head off? The Bible tells us to do this with love ❤️  no angry approach. This way God, can use you to lead that person to Him. Put away your sword Peter. 🤺

• Members
Posted (edited)

Let’s clear this up 1st before addressing topic at hand: the Lord didn’t tell Peter to put away his sword because the Lord’s a pacifist. In fact, He’s the direct opposite of a pacifist, according to the Scriptures,

• Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
  • Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT, AND BUY ONE [38] And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
  • Luke 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

He told Peter to put away his sword because the Lord came here to die and be sacrificed on the cross, providing The Blood Atonement for the sins of mankind; otherwise, we’d all be damned to hell, along with the entire human race.

Now, how to correct one of the brethren: here’s the Lord’s instructions,

• Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. [16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. [17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Now, here’s the Lord’s instructions in regard to forgiveness, and forgiving others 

• Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

There we go. Bless the Name of the Lord, for He has set out all His instructions for us; I doubt not that the Bible has a solution to every problem OR a preventative measure for every problem. Anyways, 1st, you keep the dispute between you and him/her. Then, if he/she won’t take heed, consequently, you should tell it to very few people in the Church (preferably, someone trusted and of good report) and organize some type of very small hearing - nothing extravagant, neither garnering any unnecessary attention, because this should only be 1 - 2 people, according to the Lord. If this action does not result in reconciliation and a settlement of the dispute, then, and only then, shalt you take it to the Church; once again, whatsoever you do, do not garner any unnecessary attention, making it a big clown show/amusement type of dispute  

Concerning forgiveness, if somebody doesn’t repent, you have no business forgiving and forgetting; but if they repent, you must forgive them. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Notwithstanding, nowhere in the Scriptures is anybody told to forgive & forget; that’s God’s prerogative because He cannot be hurt by man, but we on the other hand, can easily be injured/hurt by man. So, my advisement is to forgive - but spare to forget 

Edited by Dom Jr.
Incorrect format

• Members
On 6/15/2024 at 4:09 PM, Dom Jr. said:

Let’s clear this up 1st before addressing topic at hand: the Lord didn’t tell Peter to put away his sword because the Lord’s a pacifist. In fact, He’s the direct opposite of a pacifist, according to the Scriptures,

• Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
  • Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT, AND BUY ONE [38] And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
  • Luke 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

He told Peter to put away his sword because the Lord came here to die and be sacrificed on the cross, providing The Blood Atonement for the sins of mankind; otherwise, we’d all be damned to hell, along with the entire human race.

Now, how to correct one of the brethren: here’s the Lord’s instructions,

• Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. [16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. [17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Now, here’s the Lord’s instructions in regard to forgiveness, and forgiving others 

• Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

There we go. Bless the Name of the Lord, for He has set out all His instructions for us; I doubt not that the Bible has a solution to every problem OR a preventative measure for every problem. Anyways, 1st, you keep the dispute between you and him/her. Then, if he/she won’t take heed, consequently, you should tell it to very few people in the Church (preferably, someone trusted and of good report) and organize some type of very small hearing - nothing extravagant, neither garnering any unnecessary attention, because this should only be 1 - 2 people, according to the Lord. If this action does not result in reconciliation and a settlement of the dispute, then, and only then, shalt you take it to the Church; once again, whatsoever you do, do not garner any unnecessary attention, making it a big clown show/amusement type of dispute  

Concerning forgiveness, if somebody doesn’t repent, you have no business forgiving and forgetting; but if they repent, you must forgive them. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Notwithstanding, nowhere in the Scriptures is anybody told to forgive & forget; that’s God’s prerogative because He cannot be hurt by man, but we on the other hand, can easily be injured/hurt by man. So, my advisement is to forgive - but spare to forget 

Matt.26

1. [51] And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear
  2. 👂I think he was trying for the head. Who was this person? 

• Members
On 6/17/2024 at 6:15 PM, TheGloryLand said:

Matt.26

1. [51] And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear
  2. 👂I think he was trying for the head. Who was this person? 

The man who was smitten was an assistant of the high priest, at that time.