• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Protecting Your Child From Sexual Predators – With Prayer & the Word

• Members

Protecting Your Child From Sexual Predators – With Prayer & the Word

LTRP Note: Lighthouse Trails cares about children. From our earliest years, we have published material pertaining to child sex abuse. It’s an epidemic in our society and affects even the church. If you are a parent, grandparent, or guardian of young children, please bring yourself up to speed on this issue. By Patrick Crough Patrick […]

The post Protecting Your Child From Sexual Predators – With Prayer & the Word appeared first on .

View the full article

• Members

Well worrying is a sin.  It means we're trusting in our own wisdom and not casting our cares upon the Lord.  

To protect your kids from predators one must not introduce them to predators nor let them out of your sight.  That includes sleepovers.  I do allow sleepovers after my wife and I have performed our vetting process.  Those fancy computers with a phone and chat in them are even more dangerous than the hellavision; don't do it folks!

Edited by swathdiver
TMI

• Moderators

Just curious... how does one avoid introducing them to predators? Do they carry identification cards?

I'm not trying to be snarky - just wanted to point out (to the internet public at large) that we don't know who a predator is - and they usually look like the nice, friendly guy sitting down the pew from us. Actually, statistically, they usually look like family members.

I'm curious, now... have any of y'all had experiences with predators in your churches? Or suspected ones?

• Members

In my situation...the "predator" was a family member that went to church, was a deacon, and a  youth leader - but he appeared to be the least likely "candidate" as a "predator".   Many of those who have been victims of abuse have a heightened sense of awareness, and can often sense abusers.  Such happened at our church.  A man and his two children attended our church for a time.  There was something about the man that made me feel uncomfortable, however...he was at church.  I did not act on my feelings, because feelings aren't always right or trustworthy.  This man and his teenage children quit attending our church after several months.  Just a few short years later this man was arrested, charged, and convicted of being a pedophile...and sentenced to prison for basically life.  Indeed, he was a predator!  We must all be careful to "...try the spirits to see if they be of God".  If one is growing and being progressively transformed more and more into the likeness of the Saviour, then that one will be more able to "sense" those that have evil lurking within regardless of the appearance of things.

Edited by WellWithMySoul

• Members
14 hours ago, Salyan said:

Just curious... how does one avoid introducing them to predators? Do they carry identification cards?

I'm not trying to be snarky - just wanted to point out (to the internet public at large) that we don't know who a predator is - and they usually look like the nice, friendly guy sitting down the pew from us. Actually, statistically, they usually look like family members.

I'm curious, now... have any of y'all had experiences with predators in your churches? Or suspected ones?

Strictly limit who they are exposed to.  Many of us only allow our children to yoke with other children from within our own churches.  While at church, there are always a couple of mothers watching the girls or boys, none of the adults are ever alone with the children or a single child.

Our family has seen abuse and yet, it's been abused again by predators coming at us in ways never thought of.  Thankfully, none has gotten to my daughters.

To my knowledge we have not had a predator at our church since we've been members.