• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Blasphemy Against Holy Ghost?

• Members

Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

What does this verse really mean?

After I was saved and baptized and started attending a Baptist church... I told my mom, who is a godly Pentecostal woman, and told her that it wasn't much of a difference to me and that I enjoyed it more... But it didn't have the charismatic aspects and speaking in tongues (thank God)... and she told me that we still believed, and I said well I don't do it anymore... Just to keep from upsetting her. She told me that I need to be careful because if I said that speaking in tongues was wrong after I had done it in the past... then I would commit blasphemy against the Holy Ghost...

That really worried me... So what's your take on this and is my mom right or not?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Denying Christ once the Holy Spirit has spoken to you that he is the Messiah and you choose not to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

That can't be quite right, otherwise anyone who had heard the Gospel once and didn't believe right away could not be saved...

Got it! Jerry#'s (Pastor Jerry) said it right away in that thread. :smile

John 3:36...He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. KJV 1611 AV.

Not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ as Personal Saviour is Blasphemy Against the Holy Ghost...and it is the ONLY unpardonable sin...that will send a person to hell. All other sins are forgiven by repentance in prayer to the Father through Jesus Christ.

Not believing on Christ is a place we all once were, so clearly that is pardonable sometimes. I suspect that majority of us did not get saved the very first time we heard the gospel either. I suspect that rather blasphemy against Holy Ghost is rejecting Christ after knowing full well exactly what you are rejecting, and doing it enough or in such a way that the Spirit chooses no longer to strive with you. Of course, only God would know when that line is crossed.

• Members

Seth, what you just recently posted makes a lot of sense...

So basically, not to be redundant... Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is knowingly (after being brought to the fullness of truth) rejecting the offer of Salvation through Jesus Christ to the point where God turns you over to a hardened heart and reprobate mind. After then, you will no longer desire forgiveness, thus rejecting it eternally. Correct?

• Members

That can't be quite right, otherwise anyone who had heard the Gospel once and didn't believe right away could not be saved...

Okay? So, if they died in that condition? They can NOT be forgiven and are lost forever..............(sad I know, but yet lost forever)

As far as I know, the only sin that can not be forgiven prior to a person dying is not accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

• Members

I think if you read both N.T. passages that talk about the blasphemy of the Holy Ghost, you will see in the context that it is not resisting salvation. I agree with both Jerrys that the people in Jesus' time clearly saw all the fulfilled prophecies in Jesus and clearly saw the power of God demonstrated in their time and still chose to deny it and attributed Jesus' works to Satan.

So basically, not to be redundant... Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is knowingly (after being brought to the fullness of truth) rejecting the offer of Salvation through Jesus Christ to the point where God turns you over to a hardened heart and reprobate mind. After then, you will no longer desire forgiveness, thus rejecting it eternally. Correct?

Correct. :Green

Okay? So, if they died in that condition? They can NOT be forgiven and are lost forever..............(sad I know, but yet lost forever)

As far as I know, the only sin that can not be forgiven prior to a person dying is not accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

If they die in unbelief of course they are going to hell, but look at the passage.

"Matthew 12:31-32 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

It would seem Christ is talking about the ability to get saved. Notice he says: "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:" Now other scriptures are clear that the only way anyone can be forgiven of ANY sin is IF they get saved. Anyone who speaks against Christ clearly is in unbelief, yet Christ says they can be forgiven for that. So it would seem speaking against the Holy Ghost is when a unsaved person crosses a line known only to God, clearly rejecting the work of the Holy Spirit in his heart, and the Spirit gives him up, and from that point he simply cannot believe and be saved.

• Members
...Jesus and clearly saw the power of God demonstrated in their time and still chose to deny it and attributed Jesus' works to Satan.

That is exactly what blasphemy of the H.S is. No one alive today has ever committed that sin, nor could they. One would have to be a personal witness of the deeds of the Lord Jesus during his earthly ministry.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

With the cross reference, we receive added information.
HMar 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
Mar 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
Mar 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Rejecting Christ as Saviour isn't even found in the context. The tree is Israel, the generation nails it down to a specific people. No one since the cross has seen Jesus personally perform a work and then said it was of the devil.

Note some facts about the verses.

1. This world to come is plainly speaking of the Millennial reign of the Lord Jesus - Mat. 13:39; 13:49; 24:13; Mark 10:30. This world to come has literal cities, literal rulers and literal transformations of nature.
2. The sin refers to speaking. So this makes suicide, murder or divorce another class of sins. Blasphemy they are not, sins, yes, but certainly all forgivable in any age.
3. The typical evangelical take is the final rejection of the convictions of the Holy Spirit, yet many people reject the Holy Spirit and never utter a word. Some have spoken against the regenerating work of God and have later gotten saved. So this interpretation is a false teaching as well.
4. Mark 3 tells us plainly that it is saying that Jesus has an unclean spirit.

Have you ever read Job 7:16-19?

Job 7:16 I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity.
Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
Job 7:18 And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
Job 7:19 How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?

Certainly a text that shows a man telling God to "get away" and leave him alone, but not an unpardonable sin by any means.

As it stands, this unpardonable sin occurs at the crisis of the kingdom-question when Christ was on earth showing the nation of Israel his credentials. It is also shown that this sin was committed (or nearly committed) by the Pharisees. It is certain that a number of them rejected Christ fully and finally here and never repented, even after his resurrection. (See the book of Acts chapters 4-7)

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

20And the multitude cometh together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread.

21And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

22And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

23And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?

24And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

25And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

26And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

27No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

28Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

30Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

These scribes were in the very presence of the Holy Ghost. Because Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost.(see Luke chapter 4) Can a person be full of the Holy Ghost today? Yes. The morning I got saved, the preacher was FULL of the Holy Ghost. He preached the word of God, full of love and compassion. It wasn't the preacher I saw in his countenance; it was the awesome presence of God. And I am persuaded that Jesus' conversation and countenace was many more times powerful that even that.
A person can only be saved if the Holy Ghost is drawing him. So for someone to be in the very presence of the Spirit of God and call it an "unclean spirit", how can that person be saved? So, I don't know. Maybe a person can blaspheme the Holy Ghost today in the sense of a wilfull, final rejection of the very presence of God. especially if that person accounts the Holy Ghost as something evil or "unclean". I'll ask my pastor tomorrow and see what he says.

I'll ask my pastor tomorrow and see what he says.

Yes...heartstrings, please ask him. :smile I have never been able to get a clear answer on this question. Thank you.

A good question...DeafBaptist. :clap: