• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Father Baptize His Own Son...

The Glory Land

• Members

Let's examine the scripture closely...

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

This was a commandment from Jesus Christ (an order) “Go ye…”

To whom was Jesus speaking in verse 19? Matthew 28:16 “Then the eleven disciples…”

What is the object or subjects for this commandment? “all nations” That would include you and I as members of a nation.

They were told to baptize and under what names to baptize and under what authority.

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The order is continued in verse 20…

Teaching them (all nations) to observe all things whatsoever I (Jesus) commanded you (the disciples).

In essence Jesus has just commanded the disciples to teach us to baptize and for us to teach everyone we meet all the things he has commanded.

So to make a long drawn out answer much shorter for you; YES, any born again believer has the commandment and authority from Jesus Christ to both baptize and teach.

The Philip who baptized the eunuch was previously a deacon in a local church but was travelling around following the great commission given by Christ. He is not to be confused with Philip the Apostle. But, he was acting on the authority of Jesus Christ.

I agree with you, why does man makes what God made easy harder?

• Members

The authority is given to the local church.  The pastor would be the "leader" of the local church.  Are you saying you don't believe the pastor has the authority to allow a parent to baptize their child?  Technically the Great Commission was given to the apostles.  I am not an apostle, so does that mean I can't "go tell"?  Jesus wrapped up the Great Commission with "...and, lo, I am with you always..." does that only go for the apostles too? 

I agree the authority is given to the local church, and I believe Scripture does not forbid a pastor allowing others to baptize. 

It would be the local church allowing. The pastor baptizes under the authority of the local church. The pastor is the under-shepherd, not the shepherd, Jesus will always be the Head of the local church, He has never given up that position. So the under-shepherd would have to seek the will of the local church on this matter. If they said yes, it would be OK, if they said no, them it should not be done.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

I have seen two Baptist Churches allow grandfathers who were Baptist pastors of other Baptist Churches to baptize their grandson. I had some express to me that was wrong, but I told them if that local church authorized that there is nothing wrong with the grandfather doing this for they were baptized under the authority of that local church.

One more thing.

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I feel these keys, authority, are given to the local church, & whatever the local church decides, as long as it does not go against teachings within the Bible, its OK. Of course if the Bible is against something them that church has to be against it as well.

I realize to that there's some that believes this authority is given to the pastors. Yet no where within the Bible do we find that the apostles had the authority to pass on such authority to any man.

Now the RCC believes in such power, they believe that Peter passed on all authority to their pope. There is also some other churches that believes there's still apostles around that are given their position by God or other apostles. Yet there is no evidence of that within the Scriptures.

JerryNumbers, on 08 Aug 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:
It would be the local church allowing. The pastor baptizes under the authority of the local church. The pastor is the under-shepherd, not the shepherd, Jesus will always be the Head of the local church, He has never given up that position. So the under-shepherd would have to seek the will of the local church on this matter. If they said yes, it would be OK, if they said no, them it should not be done.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

I have seen two Baptist Churches allow grandfathers who were Baptist pastors of other Baptist Churches to baptize their grandson. I had some express to me that was wrong, but I told them if that local church authorized that there is nothing wrong with the grandfather doing this for they were baptized under the authority of that local church.

One more thing.

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I feel these keys, authority, are given to the local church, & whatever the local church decides, as long as it does not go against teachings within the Bible, its OK. Of course if the Bible is against something them that church has to be against it as well.

I realize to that there's some that believes this authority is given to the pastors. Yet no where within the Bible do we find that the apostles had the authority to pass on such authority to any man.

Now the RCC believes in such power, they believe that Peter passed on all authority to their pope. There is also some other churches that believes there's still apostles around that are given their position by God or other apostles. Yet there is no evidence of that within the Scriptures.

Man does not make it hard, its that some men refuse to abide by what God teaches.

Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Man's way, thoughts, are not God's ways, thoughts.

To know God's thoughts, His ways, one much study the Bible search the Scriptures, rightly divide the word of truth.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

If we do that them we can know God's way, for its the Holy Scriptures that provides us with doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness so that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I agree with you, why does man makes what God made easy harder?

I don't know, their intentions may be good just misguided. There are a few who don't like to acknowledge Jesus Christ has just commanded the Apostles to go forth and give the same commandment to every believer.

Archived