• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Father Baptize His Own Son...

The Glory Land

• Members

Being a born again Man him self.not a pastor or preacher. Can he?  I heard this was done, I believe this was a blessing twice for his son.

I do have many question that I ask, I am here to learn and hopefuly to open some eyes here that may be short sighted.

• Moderators

I do have many question that I ask, I am here to learn and hopefuly to open some eyes here that may be short sighted.

That's a contradiction: are you here to learn or to open eyes (teach)?

• Members

If the great commission is for everyone, than I would say it is ok to baptize.  I have heard people say that only a preacher should be a soul-winner because the great commission was told to His apostles and some Gospels include baptizing with the "go tell" command.  So if only a preacher can baptize, than only a preacher can go tell.   There is mention of baptism by others than the "apostles" so were the ones baptizing "ordained"?  Interesting topic.  I look forward to reading repies. 

1 Cor. 1:

14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Sounds like Paul had others doing the baptizing. 

• Moderators

THoughtful question. generally, baptism is considered an act carried out through the authority of the local church, though clearly the Bible mentions examples of those baptized not in a church: Saul, the Ethiopian eunuch, Cornelius and his family and friends, Though the one thing these all had in common were: they were all PERSONALLY directed by Jesus to these baptisms.  We don't generally have such specific direction from the Lord anymore.

I believe what was given to the Apostles as the Great Commission, was to see that these things were done, not necessarily that everyone woulkd be involved in every aspect, as far as bringing some to Christ, Baptizing and training them up to do the same. Some plant, some water, some reap the increase, yet all are partakers of the fruit. The Apostles were the foundation of the church-I believe the direction given to them, was to be administered to the churches, and then directed out of the church from that point. Thus, it takes the authority of a local church to baptize. 

Now, may a man baptize his child? As long as it is done under the authority of the local church, certainly! I authorized a man in my church to baptize his daughter, and it is perfectly valid.

Valid/invalid, all are difficult when there is, really, nor really clear directive from the Lord in the Bible. For instance, suppose you had the opportunity to lead someone to Christ in a situation where this person may never be able to be in a local church to be baptized: would you be wrong to baptize them? I don't think so-baptism is kind of a formality-it is commanded, but it doesn't make one saved or MORE saved, just is a visible show of what has happened in the heart. I also see it as sort of a demarkation line: a person says, 'From this day forward I am walking for Christ, not the world, not myself'. Which may be why so often people get baptized and you never see them again.

Anyways, just my thoughts on the matter, how I see it. Not here to declare absolute doctrine.

• Moderators

. I also see it as sort of a demarkation line: a person says, 'From this day forward I am walking for Christ, not the world, not myself'. Which may be why so often people get baptized and you never see them again.

What do you mean, Uke?

• Members

That's a contradiction: are you here to learn or to open eyes (teach)?

Not really. He said, "I am here to learn and hopefuly to open some eyes". Notice the "and" in there.

I hope that some of my posts may be of help to others, but I also hope to learn from the posts I read as well.

• Members

THoughtful question. generally, baptism is considered an act carried out through the authority of the local church, though clearly the Bible mentions examples of those baptized not in a church: Saul, the Ethiopian eunuch, Cornelius and his family and friends, Though the one thing these all had in common were: they were all PERSONALLY directed by Jesus to these baptisms.  We don't generally have such specific direction from the Lord anymore.

I believe what was given to the Apostles as the Great Commission, was to see that these things were done, not necessarily that everyone woulkd be involved in every aspect, as far as bringing some to Christ, Baptizing and training them up to do the same. Some plant, some water, some reap the increase, yet all are partakers of the fruit. The Apostles were the foundation of the church-I believe the direction given to them, was to be administered to the churches, and then directed out of the church from that point. Thus, it takes the authority of a local church to baptize. 

Now, may a man baptize his child? As long as it is done under the authority of the local church, certainly! I authorized a man in my church to baptize his daughter, and it is perfectly valid.

Valid/invalid, all are difficult when there is, really, nor really clear directive from the Lord in the Bible. For instance, suppose you had the opportunity to lead someone to Christ in a situation where this person may never be able to be in a local church to be baptized: would you be wrong to baptize them? I don't think so-baptism is kind of a formality-it is commanded, but it doesn't make one saved or MORE saved, just is a visible show of what has happened in the heart. I also see it as sort of a demarkation line: a person says, 'From this day forward I am walking for Christ, not the world, not myself'. Which may be why so often people get baptized and you never see them again.

Anyways, just my thoughts on the matter, how I see it. Not here to declare absolute doctrine.

Agreed.

Primarily baptism should be done under the authority of a local church. Our pastor allows some men to baptize their children, but he's there when it's done and it's under the authority of the church.

That said, I do agree that there are rare times when a saved person who helps one come to Christ is in the best position to be the one to baptize them on the spot. Perhaps they may be the only one who could do such. Those would likely be rare occasions, and probably exceedingly rare for most of us as we are not likely to be in such a situation.

• Members

Good grammar does not mean one knows God's ways, & bad grammar does not mean a person does not know God's ways. Only the local New Testament Church has the authority to baptize.

Jesus was baptized by the one who was sent to baptize. He did not just go to anyone to be baptized, He went to John the Baptist.

Being a born again Man him self.not a pastor or preacher. Can he?  I heard this was done, I believe this was a blessing twice for his son.

Let's examine the scripture closely...

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

This was a commandment from Jesus Christ (an order) “Go ye…”

To whom was Jesus speaking in verse 19? Matthew 28:16 “Then the eleven disciples…”

What is the object or subjects for this commandment? “all nations” That would include you and I as members of a nation.

They were told to baptize and under what names to baptize and under what authority.

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The order is continued in verse 20…

Teaching them (all nations) to observe all things whatsoever I (Jesus) commanded you (the disciples).

In essence Jesus has just commanded the disciples to teach us to baptize and for us to teach everyone we meet all the things he has commanded.

So to make a long drawn out answer much shorter for you; YES, any born again believer has the commandment and authority from Jesus Christ to both baptize and teach.

I would search the Bible...what does it say? Jesus was baptized by a prophet. The Ethiopian eunuch was baptized by an apostle. But we have no more apostles today. Interesting question.

The Philip who baptized the eunuch was previously a deacon in a local church but was travelling around following the great commission given by Christ. He is not to be confused with Philip the Apostle. But, he was acting on the authority of Jesus Christ. 

• Members

Technically the Great Commission was given to the apostles. The authority from there was given to the local church. I think it should be the pastor of the local church who baptizes. 

Not to many cares for the local church being the authority.

• Members

Technically the Great Commission was given to the apostles. The authority from there was given to the local church. I think it should be the pastor of the local church who baptizes. 

The authority is given to the local church.  The pastor would be the "leader" of the local church.  Are you saying you don't believe the pastor has the authority to allow a parent to baptize their child?  Technically the Great Commission was given to the apostles.  I am not an apostle, so does that mean I can't "go tell"?  Jesus wrapped up the Great Commission with "...and, lo, I am with you always..." does that only go for the apostles too? 

I agree the authority is given to the local church, and I believe Scripture does not forbid a pastor allowing others to baptize. 

Archived