• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The importance of teaching "NO" early on

• Members

Alrighty, I told my girls that when the baby was just learning how to crawl, we would use re-direction until she got really mobile. At that point, we would start teaching "NO." So, she hit 7.5 months, crawling her little heart out and loving every second of it. Cue the frustration on teaching that little word. Today, at just over 8 months, she's got it down and does pretty well at stopping whatever it is she's doing.

Let me tell you I am glad for that. My husband is putting hardwood floors in our hallway and for some reason, he left the extension cord plugged in without what ever tool he had been using it with plugged into it. The live cord was then tossed into the living room floor. By the time I caught my little crawler with the thing headed for her mouth, I didn't have time to reach her to yank it. A quick no and my sweet baby dropped it and crawled back to me. :clap:

I know that using the word "NO" is very unpopular in our culture, especially when the kids are tiny, but I've never found that I have been sorry that my children know it. Today, I found myself especially glad. :amen:

• Members

Great story!

Let me tell you its an ongoing process too....the little ones learn "no" really fast....then they get a little bit older and they start thinking through "no" rather than just blindly obeying...then you get to start all over. :lol Then they get a little older and use a little more logic (or disobedience) and you get to start all over again. Fun stuff. haha.

I'm glad she didn't get hurt!