• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Westernization of Modern American Christianity

Josie

• Members
On 7/13/2023 at 9:14 PM, BrotherTony said:

I had many good experiences at both Bible colleges. I've got friends from both to this day. In fact one lady I briefly dated and who was a lifetime friend, is married to a pastor friend of mine. We all went to Bible college together at the first college. Her daddy used to be my SS teacher growing up, and her family was a second family to me. The second Bible college (Maranatha in Watertown Wisconsin) was a great experience as well. A bit stuffy, but, I knew a lot of the faculty before I went there. My best friend and his wife and I met there 40 years ago. He's a pastor in Pana, Illinois.  

To be honest my wife and I went back to the first Bible college I attended, and because of church and school politics, and because the director of students knew me from the past and didn't want me, and being angry because the pastor and I had gone to Fellowship together, he and his son set in motion a series of events that led to us being asked not to re-enroll the following semester. The administration subsequently erased all of my wife's credits and one semester of mine. I was to graduate that next semester. But, I have no hard feelings towards the Brother. He let his emotions and biases rule him and it eventually cost him his position. Honestly though, he had served for many years as a pastor, and a good one at that. So, I can only believe that his health struggles had affected him at that time. He's gone to be with the Lord since then, and the college is no longer.

I’ve heard and seen good things about Maranatha! All of my uncle and aunt’s children so far have gone there (I think out of the 9 kids, only two are still at home). I drove up there several years ago to attend my cousin’s graduation ceremony and was impressed with their campus and level of dedication to both academics and to the Lord! I also met a gal around here who graduated from Maranatha. I’m glad you had a good experience there!

I ended up graduating from Liberty University, through their online program. I loved it! But part of me wishes I had known about a place like Maranatha back when I first went to university! ?

• Members
2 hours ago, Josie said:

I’ve heard and seen good things about Maranatha! All of my uncle and aunt’s children so far have gone there (I think out of the 9 kids, only two are still at home). I drove up there several years ago to attend my cousin’s graduation ceremony and was impressed with their campus and level of dedication to both academics and to the Lord! I also met a gal around here who graduated from Maranatha. I’m glad you had a good experience there!

I ended up graduating from Liberty University, through their online program. I loved it! But part of me wishes I had known about a place like Maranatha back when I first went to university! ?

I still recommend MBU to folks looking for a sound Bible college. Many say that the University has gone off track, but I find that very hard to believe. Liberty is where my sister got her bachelor's in psychology... through the online courses of course. She and her ex husband went to Trinity Baptist College in Jacksonville Florida.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, lancem said:

In the old testament God seemed to have no trouble defining when Israel had turned from the right path. If I can over simplify a lot of complicated Bible history - from my reading it seems this judgement of God usually came down to two criteria: the leadership of the king at that time and the worship of false idols. I guess I don't really know how to apply that standard to America so I don't really know how to define when America as a nation was pleasing to God according to biblical standards and not just my own opinions or what social values are important to me.

That is an excellent summation.