• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell: Dave McCoy: Friends and Mentors Now in Heaven Series 

• Members

Dave-McCoy-blog.jpg

As I was recently browsing old photos, I was blessed to realize that God has allowed me to know some truly great men. Men like Lee Roberson, Tom Malone, Shane Lewis, Ron Hamilton, and others who are now in Heaven have left an indelible mark on my life. 

In reflecting on these godly men, I decided that I wanted to introduce the readers of this blog to them. Throughout this summer, I plan to share pictures and memories over the course of several blog posts. Each post will highlight a particular preacher and a trait that stands out about that man. 

Our first (and these are shared in no particular order) is Pastor Dave McCoy. 

Dave McCoy

Unique Trait: Joy

Pastor Dave McCoy was a remarkable man who had a unique combination of infectious joy and a strong commitment to doctrinal integrity. 

I first met Pastor McCoy in 1993 when was an associate pastor at People’s Baptist Church in McDonough, Georgia. I remember appreciating his love and respect for his pastor and the people of the church. Shortly after that time, the church called him as the senior pastor. When the Lord called him home in 2021, he had just celebrated forty years in ministry. 

There is much I could say about Pastor McCoy. But one of the things that so blessed me from the first time I met him was the fun he shared with his wife, Trish, and their daughters, Meredith and Monica (and eventually their son-in-law, Seth, and grandchildren Aven, Juliet, and Cade). Among other things, he enjoyed playing the guitar in his home with friends after a church service. 

Terrie and I enjoyed traveling with Dave and Trish. I remember a trip we took together to visit a family friend in Colorado as well as a missions trip we shared to Costa Rico. Several years ago, he was one of the preachers for an Alaska cruise West Coast Baptist College hosted. All of these times were filled with fun and laughter. 

Pastor McCoy valued the principle of ecclesiastical separation and was careful to not share platforms with people he was concerned were in doctrinal drift. Considering the heart he had for doctrinal purity, the heart he had for fun was always refreshing. As greatly as he enjoyed laughing with God’s people, he greatly respected God’s Word and the privilege of preaching Scripture. He always had a Bible truth to present when he preached. 

Pastor McCoy’s ministry at People’s Baptist Church was marked by a deep love for God’s Word and God’s people. The church’s 80-acre campus became a place where countless lives were touched by the preaching of the Word of God. 

When I remember Pastor McCoy, I’m reminded of and encouraged by Nehemiah 8:10, “The joy of the Lord is your strength.” 

View the full article