• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

West Virginia

TheSword

• Members

My wife and I are contemplating a cross-country road trip next May. One of the states we're talking about driving through on the way back is West Virginia. Is there anyone from there (or has been there)? What is there to do that's kid-friendly (small kids, 1-4 yrs)? What the best route through there from Virginia toward Cincinnati while pulling a travel trailer?

• Members

Well, the best place in WV to go is Pocahontas County, which is right on the southeastern border of VA.  There are caverns to explore (guided tour) there is Cass Scenic Railroad where you can ride on a steam logging train.  Organ Cave is a nice place to visit, the owners are Christian, KJV, and they give the tour from a Biblical perspective (such as not dating fossils in millions of years), and Organ Cave has Civil War history.  Organ Cave is near Lewisburg, WV on Rt. 60.  Rt. 60 is a scenic route and goes from VA to OH, but it is a WV secondary road = weaving curves.  In Lewisburg you can pick up Interstate 64 which will take you into Charleston and then you can go into Ohio through Huntington or Parkersburg.  Not exactly sure what the best route is for getting to Cincinnati.  I love Pocahontas Co. :D  please feel free to ask more questions.  I've lived in WV almost all my life and have vacationed in Pocahontas Co every year.

oh, I will add that most attractions aren't open on a regular basis until after Memorial Day (such as Cass)  and the State Museum is at the Cultural Center in Charleston and it is awesome, I love going there.  It is free, though parking is a bit challenging, and kids can get video cams to record things, then download the info onto a flash drive bracelet.