• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pears, Pears, and More Pears

• Members

Hi Everybody, :icon_mrgreen:

It's that time of year again for autumn fruits and veggies.

The growing season this year in south east Pennsylvania has been exceptionally fine for fruit growing. Pears in particular did especially well. Our neighbor has a huge tree full of them but he does not want them. These pears are sweet, crisp and juicy and possess a very flavor content.

If you happen to come into an abundance of them then the following idea may be beneficial to you:::::::::::::::::::

Pear Filling for Pies, Crisps, COBblers, and Crumbles, Slumps and Grunts

Peel and cut up the pears. Put them into a large pan or kettle and cover them with water. Add sugar, honey or your preferred sweetener to suit your own tastes. Add both cinnamon and vanilla to brighten up the flavor. Bring to boil and then turn back to simmer for ~10 more minutes, or until the pears are soft.

Make a sauce by pouring off the broth and adding a cornstarch thickener in the same fashion you would to make gravy from meat stock. The kettle should be removed from the hot burner whilst performing this step because there is no liquid on the pears, and we do not want them to stick, scorch or burn. When the sauce is fully thickened to the desired consistency recombine to the already cooked pears and mix well.

If it is your desire to can this mixture then ladle the hot mixture into clean sterilized hot jars. Place lids on the jars that have been scalded and add the rings and tighten them. Never put a hot mix into a cold, or room temperature, jar. The wide temperature difference could break it.

To cool for freezing simply place the entire kettle into the sink with ice water in it. Adding ice cubes to the water will accelerate this process. The ice water on the outside of the kettle should be at the same height or higher as the liquid on the inside of it.

Ladle this mix into freezer boxes or bags for freezing.

This recipe was OBtained from the following site (and modified a bit) ::::::::::::::::::

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf45836171.tip.html

• Members

WE have a good number of pears this year and pears are the one fruit that I don't like, especially cooked. I can't stand tinned fruit coctail because it contains pears.

We had more plums than we can eat. I froze a lot and we invited people to come and pick them but most just fell off and rotted. One of my granddaughter collected a lot and made plum crumbles.

Our nicest plums were very bad this year as they were last year.

• Members

Hi Everybody, :icon_mrgreen:

It's that time of year again for autumn fruits and veggies.

The growing season this year in south east Pennsylvania has been exceptionally fine for fruit growing. Pears in particular did especially well. Our neighbor has a huge tree full of them but he does not want them. These pears are sweet, crisp and juicy and possess a very flavor content.

OY! :eek That would be a dream come true! :thumb:

• Members

OY! :eek That would be a dream come true! :thumb:

It has been for us. :icon_mrgreen: My wife and I have been eating them fresh and giving them away, but now this last group of drops have been especially large and vermin-free so we will prOBably make a batch of pie and cOBbler filling and freeze it.

• Members

Our nicest plums were very bad this year as they were last year.

For fruit production to be Grade-A Fancy I would recommend a thorough pruning, feeding and spraying program.

***Feed the trees in the spring (late April / early May for Zone 6) just before bud expansion to promote tree health and satisfactory fruit production. Use an ordinary 10-10-10 fertilizer and apply it at the rate of one cupful per inch of trunk diameter. Sprinkle it on the ground around the tree out to the drip-line-circle and being careful to stay away from the trunk by at least a 12" radius.

***Prune the trees in the late winter / early spring to promote best fruit size, scupt and shape the tree and promote new cane growth.

***Spray regularly to keep the fruit disease and vermin free.

---Late winter miscible-oil dormant spray

---"Bud break", or "Pink" stage

---"Petal-Fall" stage

---Every 7 days thu-out the summer.

---I use Captan for fungi, Imidan for all chewing/invasive insects, and Sevin for fruit maggot.

If you follow these instructions to the letter then you can expect the very best looking and tasting fruit you could possibly imagine. That is, providing that frosts do not freeze out the blossoms in the spring.