• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

starting to get popups

Anon

• Members

Well my hub suggested we download McAfee from Comcast...so we did...and it does look like it took care of it so far...no popups....but the downside is McAfee makes the computer chug along SLOWLY!!!! Oh well. I guess its better than an infected computer. *sigh*

• Members

BTW printing my emails isn't really an option....I have thousands of them from cake customers I always keep. :-)

Working on saving stuff to a thumb drive...the computer is getting sicker and sicker...virus is preventing us from getting into safe mode and trying to constantly shut down our virus protections...so have to get this done soon and reformat.

• Members

maybe you should get two computers. One for record keeping (business and church) and the other for surfing, downloading (even email attachments -- you can do a virus scan before tranferring it on your other computer), socializing... so that you don't have to worry about losing important informations.

• Members

Kitagrl...
Once you get "cleaned up" please consider the following to help in the future...

Get two external drives the same size or larger than your computer's hard drive. Setup one to do a "mirror," or bootable drive of your complete system. A bootable backup means that if your main drive goes down you can just bootup from your external drive. Now, anytime you have a system update, upgrade, or install new software, DO NOT backup new system to your mirror. Wait 2-3 days until you are sure the "new" update is working OK. This way, should you have a system issue you can always go bak to your backup to have a good working system. In other words, your bootable should always be a KNOWN good working system. Trustworthy!

The second external drive should be used to do hourly or daily backup of user files only. This is used to recover deleted files, go back to previous versions of docs, etc. Go to these files when system is clean and working OK and you just need to get and old file or two.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have the bootable mirror disk of you complete drive. This way, if you start to have prOBlems as you have, you can just reformat your computer drive and copy the bootable image to it. If time is critical you can just boot off the external drive and run from it until you can copy it to your hard drive.

I have two bootable backups (I swap between the two every other day) so I always have a copy of my computer as it was yesterday and the day before. If I change a lot a files after I copy the entire system over I can then copy my individual updated files over. This gives a good known system complete with latest files... (My Mac software does this automatically)

just food for thought. This has worked good for me.

• Members

Very inexpensive. The last one I bought fits in a shirt pocket, needs no power cord (power is thru Firewire) and is 3 times the size of my internal disk.

DO NOT get a USB drive, make sure it is Firewire, it's much faster. If your drive is lot's larger than your computer built in drive you can partition it so that your computer sees it as "several drives."

Also, LEARN AND KNOW your backup software. Typically, most backup software allows the backup to "look like" your main disk. In other words, if you delete a file it will also be deleted on the backup unless you have options set right.

You need to know the difference between a "mirror" and an "archive." A mirror is an EXACT copy which does NOT help if you need an old copy of a deleted file. But a mirror is great if you need to do a system restore. Likewise, an archive keeps multiple copies (versions) of files. Great if you need to go back to a previous version of a file, not so great if you need to do a restore. So your backup scheme should use both, ARCHIVE and MIRROR backups as explained previously.

• Members

Check for disk drives here:
www.newegg.com

I use them a lot and love them. I'm sure others here have their favorites too.
You DO NOT need a fancy "backup drive" with lot's of bells and whistles.
Just look for an external Firewire drive at least as big as your computer drive. Should be $75 to $125 dollars.

• Members

I should invest in that for sure...in case either computer crashes.

My brain is so frustrated with my computers right now, its very much in limbo, neither computer is fully updated with all my files yet at this point.

• Members
DO NOT get a USB drive' date=' make sure it is Firewire, it's much faster. If your drive is lot's larger than your computer built in drive you can partition it so that your computer sees it as "several drives."[/quote']

Make sure your computer has a Firewire port first though. All modern computers have USB ports (and USB 2.0 isn't really that bad), but not all have Firewire.

• Members

I like to have my documents on a different drive than my system and programs, or at least a separate partition, then if you have prOBlems with you system or programs you can format that without worrying about your documents.

• Members

What service or how do you access your emails? If it is a web based service like Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo you won't loose your emails if format, since they store the emails on their servers. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011030811033.aspx
Tells you how to backup emails in Outlook.