• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

System restore

John81

• Members

What will a system restore do?

I've been having prOBlems with my computer running slowly, serious dragging and locking up entirely for a long time now and it's only getting worse.

I've tried several things...running my spyware, installing updates, defragging, deleting programs I don't use anymore, getting rid of some toolbars, etc. Thus far, nothing has helped.

• Members

System restore will take you computer back to an earlier point, if at that point your computer was working good, them it usually will help. I've used it a few times.

Any updates and usually any programs that has been installed since that restore point will be removed.

It may help, it may not. Sometimes such a prOBlem can be caused by not enough ram memory as well as spy ware and such.

The more stuff you put on your hard drive the slower your computer will be. I added 2 GB of ram quite a while back. It sped my computer up a lot, but since them I have added quite a bit of stuff to my hard drive and I have noticed its slowed down a bit.

• Members

Thank you Jerry!

John, How much ram memory do you have?

Here is how to find out in case you don't know how.

1st "Start," them "Control Panel," them "System," then i the window that pops up look down towards the lower left just above where it says "Support Information," it ought to give this information.

It will prOBably be 128 MB, or 256 MB or 1 GB or even more.

Mine came with 256 MB, but I added to it and now have 2.50 GB, I've been thinking seriously of getting 2 more sticks of 1 GB to add to mine which is the most mine can use.

• Members

John, How much ram memory do you have?

Here is how to find out in case you don't know how.

1st "Start," them "Control Panel," them "System," then i the window that pops up look down towards the lower left just above where it says "Support Information," it ought to give this information.

It will prOBably be 128 MB, or 256 MB or 1 GB or even more.

Mine came with 256 MB, but I added to it and now have 2.50 GB, I've been thinking seriously of getting 2 more sticks of 1 GB to add to mine which is the most mine can use.

There is nothing on the control panel to click for "system".

• Members

There is nothing on the control panel to click for "system".

After having clicked "Start," Them 'Control Panel," in the Control Panel window, look over to the upper left hand corner, under the heading "Control Panel," Does it say 'Switch to Classic View?"

If so click it, them you will find the "System" icon.

• Members

256 MB??? My computer has over 30 GB (Gigabytes) and it's somewhat of an old computer. If your computer has only 256MB then that would prOBably explain why your computer is sluggish. You should get a laptop. There are laptops you can purchase for about $400 and they have over 100GB of memory. Not only that...you don't need an ISP to get access to the internet if you're in a wi-fi hotspot.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

256 MB of RAM

This is what mine says. Now, what does that mean?:lol:

256 MB is not much ram memory, that's prOBably one reason your computer is a bit slow.

You spoke recently of getting a new computer, if you plan on getting a new computer in the short time future I would not spend money on this one. Unless you know someone you can get some used ram memory from that will fit you old computer at a cheap price. Sometimes you can find a person who works on computers who has and old one will some good memory in it and or someone who buys up old computers.

Mine came with 80 GB hard drive, but I've got a 2nd 80 GB hard drive installed. I use the 2nd hard drive to store stuff on where my main hard drive want have much stuff on it and the Operating System want be slowed down from stuff I've saved to my computer. Plus doing this I can reformat my computer without losing very much stuff.