• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor's Salary

• Members

Just to point out too..."extravagant" is VERY hard to define... I know a pastor in a wealthy area with wealthy people and compared to us, he lives "wealthy" but according to the church they would not feel it "Extravagant". I also know churches who have bought new vehicles for their pastor...to me that's like "Wow I wish!" haha but again...it is not "extravagant" to that congregation.

The only ones I could say definitively are "extravagant" are the tv evangelists and other evangelists who go around sporting large diamond rings and $1,000 suits and still ask for more money. Otherwise...I don't begrudge a pastor his money. If God chooses to bless a pastor by letting him live nicely...good! We all have our blessings and our trials.

While I didn't specify, I was meaning the "extravagant" concept to be tied to the idea you mentioned about an areas median salary. For instance, if the median salary is 40,000 it would be extravagant if the church gave their pastor a 200,000 dollar salary.

If a congregation got together to buy their pastor a new car as a gift, I would not see that as extravagant. If this were a perk from the church and the church gave the pastor a new car every year or two, then that would be extravagant, especially if we are talking high-end cars.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the grossly overpaid TV evangelists who live in mansions (and often own many homes), have many expensive vehicles, dress in top line everything, and flaunt their wealth. Of course, many of these are of the "prosperity gospel" crowd, and they get their riches showing off how they are rich because they are so godly...even though we don't see such from Scripture.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rev,

Very possible, but gas money. Let's be realistic. 1 hr = @60 miles or 3 gallons of gas. Round trip 6 gallons for a total of $18 at $3 a gallon.

Let's say they give him a $20. 45 people giving $1 each would be $45 at least. So what they are paying him is less than $.50 per person. Quite frankly that is pathetic.

I would more or less agree, I was just expressing that we don't know all the facts. I hesitate to say to much when I don't know the church the pastor or the situation. While the church should do more if they can it is between the pastor the church and God what they pay or don't pay him. Paul worked a job to provide for himself so no one would think he was in it for the money, and for all I know that could be a factor here too. There are some areas of the country where a pastor will be respected and listened to more if people know he earns a living in the same way they do. The flip side of that of course is that the pastor has far less time to do the work of a pastor.

• Members

Jerry,

I don't have a prOBlem with a freewill offering if that's all the church can afford. A church of 45 people ought to be able to pay their pastor more than just gas money, which is what Nikkim74 stated.

It would depend on the make up of its members. Many country churches are made of of people who have little income. Especially those located in very rural areas. Add to that several of the those attending may be children who are still attending school.

I know of one church that started a bus ministry, they did a great jOB and had many children. Sad part, they did not have enough members to support all the children they brought in.

I preached at one rural church for many Sundays, it was made up of poor people, it was in the back woods on a gravel road, I've spoke of it having twin outhouses, one for the men and one for the women. They called me to be their pastor, but for every other Sunday. They claimed they could not afford me every Sunday. Strange thing they usually paid me exactly what I put in the collection plate, most generally the same bills I place in the collection plate. I just felt like I could not accept it on those terms. I did ask them what was I suppose to do on those off Sunday's, stay home or attend another church, and are come to church with them.

• Members

I think everyone in the church could give a $1/wk. I haven't met too many people that couldn't give a $1 towards the pastor salary. Though we don't know the situation, it was clear by the post that no attempts were being done to do more. I was simply encouraging him/her to re-evaluate their giving plan for their pastor.

• Members

One of the main goals both in home church-planting and missions church planting is to get a church self-supporting...meaning, paying all its own bills AND supporting the pastor.

I understand of course in rural areas or small churches this is impossible...but just like in church planting, it should be built towards...just like PJ is saying....start with a little bit each week and slowly build up. If the missionary churches can become self supporting with national pastors, I wouldn't see why it couldn't be our goal, too.

• Members

One of the main goals both in home church-planting and missions church planting is to get a church self-supporting...meaning, paying all its own bills AND supporting the pastor.

I understand of course in rural areas or small churches this is impossible...but just like in church planting, it should be built towards...just like PJ is saying....start with a little bit each week and slowly build up. If the missionary churches can become self supporting with national pastors, I wouldn't see why it couldn't be our goal, too.

So the congregation's economic culture can come into play? Interesting idea.

• Members

Pastors are overpaid! We all know that a pastor just delivers a sermon a week. That means he works one hour per week. How hard is that? They are all overpaid!

:lol:

(yes... i am kidding!)

And yes, some pastors do nothing but deliver a sermon once, twice, or three times a week, they leave the rest undone, and they're over paid.

All pastors are not on the up and up.

• Members

And yes, some pastors do nothing but deliver a sermon once, twice, or three times a week, they leave the rest undone, and they're over paid.

All pastors are not on the up and up.

Yes, good point Jerry. While a truly good pastor is often very busy and not overpaid, there are those pastors out there who are basically lazy. They do as little as possible and feel that delivering one or two sermons a week is more than enough.

Our pastor is of the busy sort. He delivers his sermons (which takes hours to prepare and many don't consider this), he leads an adult Sunday school class and two Bible studies during the week, there are funerals and weddings, counseling, this year our pastor is also heading AWANA, special events, holiday dealings, visiting those in hospital, etc.

• Members

Well, all the money given in our little church goes to pay the church's bills, mostly utilities. We're not very big at all, still plugging along. And the pastor (me) doesn't get any salary. Maybe I'm getting what I'm worth?

• Members

Well, all the money given in our little church goes to pay the church's bills, mostly utilities. We're not very big at all, still plugging along. And the pastor (me) doesn't get any salary. Maybe I'm getting what I'm worth?

Awww no.... rural churches like yours are a big challenge, and it takes a special person to be willing to keep on going and not get discouraged about it.