• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor's Salary

• Members

I guess the real result of this thread is to see how God leads different churches in different ways. However, it is my opinion that if a pastor has to worry about clothing his children and feeding his family and dying and leaving them in the streets he will be less effective as a pastor. OBviously, no one in the pastorate is running for any prize other than the one that is set before us in the race. At least that is the way it is at my church. However, if my pastor has to concern himself with surviving in a day to day way it will dilute his capacity to focus on the things of God fully. I think that is the Scriptural principle in I Tim. It is not my concern how YourCity Baptist Church takes care of Pastor YourChurch. (If they are following the Bible and the leadership of the Lord then it's all good). It is my concern how my church takes care of my pastor and if we follow the Word and the leadership of the Lord, then I know we'll be doing it correctly.
As to retirement age, my Pastor always says he hopes the Lord will allow him to pastor my church until he is taken Home. However, if someone's health were to decline and render them unable to serve, it would be shameful to know that the pastor would have no resource or recourse to address that and to provide for his wife (and children if applicable). If that doesn't work for you and your church, fine. However, I believe it is a point of consideration that all churches should examine.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess the real result of this thread is to see how God leads different churches in different ways. However, it is my opinion that if a pastor has to worry about clothing his children and feeding his family and dying and leaving them in the streets he will be less effective as a pastor. OBviously, no one in the pastorate is running for any prize other than the one that is set before us in the race. At least that is the way it is at my church. However, if my pastor has to concern himself with surviving in a day to day way it will dilute his capacity to focus on the things of God fully. I think that is the Scriptural principle in I Tim. It is not my concern how YourCity Baptist Church takes care of Pastor YourChurch. (If they are following the Bible and the leadership of the Lord then it's all good). It is my concern how my church takes care of my pastor and if we follow the Word and the leadership of the Lord, then I know we'll be doing it correctly.
As to retirement age, my Pastor always says he hopes the Lord will allow him to pastor my church until he is taken Home. However, if someone's health were to decline and render them unable to serve, it would be shameful to know that the pastor would have no resource or recourse to address that and to provide for his wife (and children if applicable). If that doesn't work for you and your church, fine. However, I believe it is a point of consideration that all churches should examine.

If he is worrying about those such things them he is trusting God for tomorrows needs.

Mt

• Members

I wasn't aware that the thread was about worrying? I believe the thread is about providing the pastor's salary in a manner that prevents him from having to be focused (I used the word worried in a casual, inexact manner, assuming everyone would get my meaning-sorry) on anything other than the work of the Lord. My verse is a reminder that we need to balance take no thought with count the cost. Sorry you found it to noncontextual, but I will respectfully disagree with you. My original point was I am glad that each church has worked it out between them and the Lord, but also to encourage people to consider that a pastor may become physically unable to continue and provisions should be made. Sorry I couldn't seem to make that more apparent and clear.

• Members

I wasn't aware that the thread was about worrying? I believe the thread is about providing the pastor's salary in a manner that prevents him from having to be focused (I used the word worried in a casual, inexact manner, assuming everyone would get my meaning-sorry) on anything other than the work of the Lord. My verse is a reminder that we need to balance take no thought with count the cost. Sorry you found it to noncontextual, but I will respectfully disagree with you. My original point was I am glad that each church has worked it out between them and the Lord, but also to encourage people to consider that a pastor may become physically unable to continue and provisions should be made. Sorry I couldn't seem to make that more apparent and clear.

You mad it about worry.

You wrote;
"I guess the real result of this thread is to see how God leads different churches in different ways. However, it is my opinion that if a pastor has to worry about clothing his children and feeding his family and dying and leaving them in the streets he will be less effective as a pastor. OBviously, no one in the pastorate is running for any prize other than the one that is set before us in the race. At least that is the way it is at my church. However, if my pastor has to concern himself with surviving in a day to day way it will dilute his capacity to focus on the things of God fully. I think that is the Scriptural principle in I Tim. It is not my concern how YourCity Baptist Church takes care of Pastor YourChurch. (If they are following the Bible and the leadership of the Lord then it's all good). It is my concern how my church takes care of my pastor and if we follow the Word and the leadership of the Lord, then I know we'll be doing it correctly.
As to retirement age, my Pastor always says he hopes the Lord will allow him to pastor my church until he is taken Home. However, if someone's health were to decline and render them unable to serve, it would be shameful to know that the pastor would have no resource or recourse to address that and to provide for his wife (and children if applicable). If that doesn't work for you and your church, fine. However, I believe it is a point of consideration that all churches should examine."

See the words above I put in large fonts. Concerned is worry, same thing in the context you used it.

• Administrators

Just to set semantics straight here - concern and worry are not always the same thing.

Concern is: something that interests you because it is important or affects you; "the safety of the ship is the captain's concern"

Family care ought to be something that interests the pastor - as Suzy pointed out, the Bible tells us that if a man doesn't provide for his house, he's worse than an infidel. That would indicate that providing for his house should be his concern.

If the concern goes to the extent that the man is OBsessing about how he and he alone is to care for his family, then it has turned into worry and is no longer faith.

If a church is financially able to care for their pastor's needs, they ought to. If they are not able to, the pastor may need to get a jOB - unless there is a different source of income (such as mission help, military pension, etc. - those who do receive other monies can afford to not take pay...). But once the church is able to, it's good for a people to pay their pastor. After all, he is worthy of double honor, as the Bible says.

It's already been said - different churches are different and need to be thought of accordingly. Salaries of church members vary, so it's not really possible to say that one size fits all.

• Members

Just to set semantics straight here - concern and worry are not always the same thing.

Concern is: something that interests you because it is important or affects you; "the safety of the ship is the captain's concern"

Family care ought to be something that interests the pastor - as Suzy pointed out, the Bible tells us that if a man doesn't provide for his house, he's worse than an infidel. That would indicate that providing for his house should be his concern.

If the concern goes to the extent that the man is OBsessing about how he and he alone is to care for his family, then it has turned into worry and is no longer faith.

If a church is financially able to care for their pastor's needs, they ought to. If they are not able to, the pastor may need to get a jOB - unless there is a different source of income (such as mission help, military pension, etc. - those who do receive other monies can afford to not take pay...). But once the church is able to, it's good for a people to pay their pastor. After all, he is worthy of double honor, as the Bible says.

It's already been said - different churches are different and need to be thought of accordingly. Salaries of church members vary, so it's not really possible to say that one size fits all.

100% agree

• Members

I agree, but what's this about " Salaries of church members vary," I've never known a church who paid their church members a salary. Have I been a member in the wrong churches? Did I miss something? Please help me! :wink
:coolsmiley:

Most pastors around here are taken pretty good care of, although I know of one, no matter how much the church paid him, he still would be in bankruptcy every few years. It seems not to bother that church that forecloses and such comes out against him in the local papers every few months. I just hate to see stuff like that go on, it puts a bad mark against God, Jesus, & Jesus' Churches.

Plus there be many churches that have bi-vocational pastors. Most of these pastors, not all of them, do not expect nor do they want a big salary from the church they pastor. The work they do is a work of love for their Father & Savior & for their glory. I can tell some of you prOBably have never had dealings with such situations and prOBably would not fully understand it nor these pastors.

Be assured, I'm in no way putting down full times pastors nor churches that have full time pastors.

• Administrators

I agree, but what's this about " Salaries of church members vary," I've never known a church who paid their church members a salary. Have I been a member in the wrong churches? Did I miss something? Please help me! :wink
:coolsmiley:

:lol: Wouldn't that be something! No - I mean the salaries that individual church members earn at their jOBs vary, thus varying the money that comes into the offerings.

• Administrators

I've been following along with this thread and I have a question.

How does Honor equal Money? I'd like someone to show me the scripture that connects honoring a person with how much money you give them.

C

1 Corinthians 9:13,14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

I don't think necessarily that honor means money. But a pastor who gives his life to the service of the Lord and His church should be paid properly, if it is at all possible. And that's honoring his position...

• Members

I wanted to add a side note...one of the most shameful things I've seen is for a church to pay hired assistants or teachers a poverty wage and then keep them so busy they are not able to look for part time work for themselves. I think it has to be one way or the other...either the church provide enough to keep the family taken care of OR they free up the family's schedule enough to allow the father to get at least a part time jOB.