• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

You Know You're from Lancaster County, PA When.......

• Members

You know and LOVE what a whoopie pie is

Pork and sourkraut is THE MEAL on New Year's Day

You get an extra day off from school for the first day of deer season (mhm) (First Monday in December)

You called it "macadem" as a kid, and you don't know why nobody else has a clue what that is

IT'S SODA, NOT POP!!!

You know what a Fire Hall Wedding is

You've been to a chicken and waffle dinner

You know what good chicken-corn soup is.

You don't understand why the Amish are famous

You know chicken pot pie has nothing to do w/ a pie

Shady Maple is the king of all buffet restaurants.

There is no need for the verb "to be" in any of your sentences

The local post office closes for lunch hour

They're diners, not restaurants

You end sentences w/ "a while"

You've heard of 7-11 but you never see them

There are beer stores and wine stores, not both

You can tell stories about hurricane Agnes from 1972

You know Lancaster does not have a G in it

The iced tea is sweeter than Pepsi

You know who James Buchanan was

You know what Shoo Fly Pie is.

You think Fasnacht Day is a national holiday

You go buy more at the store when it's "all"

"Come with?" is a complete sentence

Your grandparents knit, and your family has a quilt.

Long Johns are something you eat, not something you wear

You know that bologna ends in an A and not a Y

You think orange traffic cones are the natural foliage surrounding Route 30

You remain faithful to Turkey Hill Minute Markets

It's Twin Kiss, not Dairy Queen

Dutch Wonderland is not Dutch, nor is it a wonderland

The WGAL news team are local celebrities

You go out of state just to drive on smooth roads

You've ordered "dippy eggs" for breakfast

Your turkey has "filling", not "stuffing" and certainly not "dressing"

In the summer, rush hour is Saturday afternoon

You know what hex signs are

You think that Pittsburgh is out west, and you know the fastest way to Philly is the Turnpike

You live within 5 miles of a plant that makes potato chips, candy, pretzels or chocolate

You call sloppy joes "barbecue"

You do things "oncet", "I'll go check the room, oncet"

When it snows, they put cinders on the roads instead of sand

If there's a bad driver on the road, you immediately assume he is from Jersey

You can stop along the road to buy fruits or vegetables on the "honor system"

Buggy, hoagie, chipped beef and scrapple actually mean something to you

• Members

We love going to Lancaster! We have a 28 ft. camper and for the past 3 years we have have spent our summer vaction there. One year my wife and I got to see a fire hall auction. They had rows of buggies lined up and we stood in the middle of a large group of Amish men who proceded to bid on the buggies. Shady Maple IS the best buffet, hands down. It reminds me of a giant baptist church. What really amazes me is the several 3-D pictures of Amish scenes along the walls. A local Amish man carved them out who is now deceased. A woman told us the buffet paid around $7,000 for each of them.

• Members

You betcha. :Green Shady Maple certainly knows how to capture the essence of Lancaster County for the tourists to see. Their food is quite good too, although I must say that they are not in any wise the only ultra-high quality eating establishment here. One thing that Shady Maple does have over many other restaurants are the specialized kiosks/islands. They have one that is exclusive for all manner of fish. I really like the Tilapia with cajun spices. There is another for breads of all sorts. Another great thing is that the beverages are all included as well. :thumb There is one that serves several kinds of wursts, brats, sausages and pierogies. ((((pierogie --->>> mashed potato sandwich by any other name. j/k :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ))))

• Members

pneu-engine, have you been to Miller's? We went there once but walked out because I thought it was too expensive. Is the food better than Shady Maple's? I'm really impressed with the vast selection of desserts SM has and I really like their steaks. I think the price is very reasonable, $15-$16 including drinks.

• Members
pneu-engine' date=' have you been to Miller's? We went there once but walked out because I thought it was too expensive. Is the food better than Shady Maple's? I'm really impressed with the vast selection of desserts SM has and I really like their steaks. I think the price is very reasonable, $15-$16 including drinks.[/quote']
Hi C-H, :Green

I've been to Millers before they got their liquor license and will never go there again because of that. Not only is Millers terribly expensive but they just do not have the congenial atmosphere hat I expect from a Penn-Dutch restaurant. Their food is good but IMHO they have priced themselves right out of most people's budget range. Shady maple for Saturday lunch/dinner is ~$18.00 + tax, and for what you are getting that is very reasonable. Truth be known, however, I'd rather go to Hershey Farms restaurant in Strasburg. The food is every bit as good, the atmosphere and servers are nice and friendly, the price is better and the selections are numerous and varied.

Here is a "half-off" coupon for you. Just print it out and take it along when you go. :thumb :clap:

webofferbogo50jan09lg1.jpg

...or click here:::::::::

http://www.hersheyfarm.com/index.php?pID=24

• 4 months later...
  • Members
pneu-engine' date=' have you been to Miller's? We went there once but walked out because I thought it was too expensive. Is the food better than Shady Maple's?[/quote']

Same here. It is very expensive and the Shady Maple is better. The Shady Maple isn't exactly cheap, but you get so much more for your money.

• Members

You know you're from Lancaster County when everybody you know is named Yoder or Stolzfus and they're not related.

You know you're from Lancaster County when you're stuck behind an Amish buggy and all of the tourists are blowing their horns, but you just think to yourself, "Wow. I wonder where he's going in such a hurry".

You know you're from Lancaster County when you find it getting harder and harder to tell the difference between reality and Green Acres re-runs.

You know you're from Lancaster County if you've ever gone out in your backyard in your bathrobe with a handful of Vienna sausages to try to lure a bear away from your garbage cans.

All true stories.