• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Festivals and Fairs

• Members

We have a harvest festival/fair in every town here in Lancaster County. I especially like the funnel cakes, apple pies, and shoofly pies.

My favorite fair-type are the "Punkin Chunkin" contests. The pumpkins are usually 8 inch diameter sugar pumpkins. Some of those guys can shoot a pumpkin almost a mile (~4,500 feet)

• Members

I like county fairs. I like to see all the animals, especially the horses and chickens. I like to look at all the 4-H exhibits and all the other exhibits. I like the smells and sounds that a county fair gives off. Where I come from the county fairs are in July and it can get very hot and there always seems to be at least one thunderstorm during Fair week. So, you can either walk in dust or mud, depending on when you go.
I miss getting to go to the Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana too. That is a spectacle! There is traffic as far as you can see in any direction for almost 2 weeks in October every year. The main towns for all this are Rockville, Bridgeton, Mansfield, and Mecca. Some years it is spitting snow, or raining, but most of the time the weather is beautiful. On cold days it's great to buy a bowl of steaming hot bean soup dipped out of a huge black cauldron that is sitting on an open wood fire. On warm days you can get a pumpkin pie flavored real hand-dipped ice cream cone. People come from all over the world to walk around and look at things and scenery and people. There are 2 grist mills to go into to watch them grind grain just like they did in the old days.That time of year the trees are all colors and it's so pretty. There is just about anything in the world you would want to buy or eat! The cooking smells can drive a hungry person crazy. There are lots of covered bridges to look at and walk or drive through. The prettiest one is the Bridgeton bridge in Bridgeton, IN. It's one of the longest too. I highly recommend the Covered Bridge Festival!! CJP56

• Members

It is actually similar to scrapple. If you think of cornmeal mush and a sausage-like meat all mixed together, that is livermush. The one and only time I tasted it, it was fried like sausage. It probably isn't that bad; it just sounds gross. :icon_mrgreen: I like sausage but don't like describing how it is made. :lol:

We thoroughly enjoy scrapple but don't eat it anymore because of the extreme fat content. Up here in Penn-Dutch country it is basically cornmeal and lard, with about 5% meat-scraps ground up fine.

• Members

Jim, I have a recipe for scrapple you might like. Scrapple
Bring to a boil 3 cups water and 1-1/2 tsp salt. Gradually add a mixture of 1 cup corn meal and cold water stirring constantly. Continue boiling, stirring constantly, til mixture is thickened. Cover, lower heat, and cook slowly 10 minutes, or longer. Meanwhile, fry and scramble as much of a pound of good pork sausage as you want and drain it. (I like Bob Evans original sausage) Add the sausage to the hot mush and mix well. Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and chill thoroughly. Cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices, coat with flour and fry on both sides on a greased hot griddle til nicely browned. CJP56

• Members

Jim, I have a recipe for scrapple you might like. Scrapple
Bring to a boil 3 cups water and 1-1/2 tsp salt. Gradually add a mixture of 1 cup corn meal and cold water stirring constantly. Continue boiling, stirring constantly, til mixture is thickened. Cover, lower heat, and cook slowly 10 minutes, or longer. Meanwhile, fry and scramble as much of a pound of good pork sausage as you want and drain it. (I like Bob Evans original sausage) Add the sausage to the hot mush and mix well. Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and chill thoroughly. Cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices, coat with flour and fry on both sides on a greased hot griddle til nicely browned. CJP56

YOWZA!!!! I can tell just by reading that recipe that it will make an excellent fall and/or winter-morning breakfast dish, or an evening main dish. :drool::hungry: My wife and I thoroughly enjoy cornmeal mush and big, fat sausages from a local butcher shop. We also get bulk sausage by the pound and is probably what we'd use for this. Your recipe combines both of those delectables. Cannot wait to try it. :thumb:

I especially like the idea of rendering by browning the fat/lard out of the sausage before combining it with the cornmeal mush.