• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

HOW TO CONDUCT YOURSELF DURING PREACHING

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We have a guy at our church he actually cut his nails during church. You could here the clipping sound and everything. God bless. :)

In the 1980's I went to a small country church and a guy cut his grass every Sunday at worship time just to make the church mad..... take about "clipping sounds"..... :lol:

• Members

I guess those rules all depend on how you view church. I don't view church as something that is so rigid and formalized that you don't feel like you can take your eyes off the "man of God" for half a second. There really isn't any Scripture to back up what he says, just cultural and personal preferences. Some people would say that shouting "amen" is disruptive, others not. At my church, just last week, a man left his phone up on the platform and walked up to get it when it started making a noise during the service. Our pastor just joked with him about it and continued on. There's no reason that church has to be so stifling and uncomfortable. It's a family, after all. We're there to enjoy each other and enjoy God. My gosh, how stuffy church would be following those regulations. 0.0

• Members

-edited- There's no reason that church has to be so stifling and uncomfortable. It's a family, after all. We're there to enjoy each other and enjoy God. My gosh, how stuffy church would be following those regulations. 0.0

I agree. I generally like an informal atmosphere... but once the preaching starts people need to be focused on the sermon. Especially during the invitation.... I hate how many people "start getting ready to leave" once the invitation starts (zippers, rustling papers, etc)

• Members

I guess those rules all depend on how you view church. I don't view church as something that is so rigid and formalized that you don't feel like you can take your eyes off the "man of God" for half a second. There really isn't any Scripture to back up what he says, just cultural and personal preferences. Some people would say that shouting "amen" is disruptive, others not. At my church, just last week, a man left his phone up on the platform and walked up to get it when it started making a noise during the service. Our pastor just joked with him about it and continued on. There's no reason that church has to be so stifling and uncomfortable. It's a family, after all. We're there to enjoy each other and enjoy God. My gosh, how stuffy church would be following those regulations. 0.0

That happen to most churches, but my father in law used to get on the phone ALL the time when we come to see him. for awhile we didn't mind or care, but after awhile, it really started to annoy us. Because when we visit, about to enjoy each other company, all a sudden that phone rings and he gets up and leave. Comes back, it rings again and he doesn't turn off the phone because it's business. Some people do need to get their propriety straighten out. he should turn it off for at least couple of hours because his son and grandson are visiting him and He need to put family first for a change since it is rare we do visit.

• Members

I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't have a Biblical reference and don't care if I do or don't.

There is such a thing as manners and propriety. There is a time and place for things. In my opinion, when the man of God is bringing forth a message that God has laid on his heart I should have good manners and listen closely in such a way as to not disturb others around me as well. I would show this same courtesy if attending the Boston Symphony, listening to the US President's speech, or watching a local high school play. I give no less courtesy when listening to the things of God expounded upon.

Many of today's generation have not been taught good manners and how to behave properly in various circumstances. Their cell phones are on, they are texting during meetings and funerals. There is little respect shown to others they interact with. Kind of a shame when you think about it.

• Members

That happen to most churches, but my father in law used to get on the phone ALL the time when we come to see him. for awhile we didn't mind or care, but after awhile, it really started to annoy us. Because when we visit, about to enjoy each other company, all a sudden that phone rings and he gets up and leave. Comes back, it rings again and he doesn't turn off the phone because it's business. Some people do need to get their propriety straighten out. he should turn it off for at least couple of hours because his son and grandson are visiting him and He need to put family first for a change since it is rare we do visit.

True, many of our modern day cell phones uses show no respect for anyone.

Linda had knee surgery Monday, as we entered the building there was a big sign, turn off your cell phone and do not use it. Guess how many people pay any attention to it. If you think many paid it no attention, your correct.

I've stopped and talked or tired to talk with man people, but their cell hone rings, they answer it and go to talking, acting as if I should stand there and wait for them, I just turn and walk off.

Haven't had a good conversation with my daughter in years, cell phone always interferes.

People are getting ruder by the month and they expect us to accept their rude behavior.

They will not stop it until we stop accepting it.