• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Matt 25:52 - "perish with the sword"

• Members

Mt 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

What is your interpretation/exegesis of the above verse IN IT'S CONTEXT? (I have MY views, I'd like yours too, for research.) Thank you!

• Members

I was waiting to see what answers you got. but it sure seems to say, if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword.

Back in the western days of our country there were many young men who lived by the gun they carried on their hip, many of these young men found their way to boothill at a very early age, died by the gun.

Seems to fit.

• Members

I was waiting to see what answers you got. but it sure seems to say, if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword.

Back in the western days of our country there were many young men who lived by the gun they carried on their hip, many of these young men found their way to boothill at a very early age, died by the gun.

Seems to fit.

Do you think Pacifism is being taught in this verse?

• Members

Do you think Pacifism is being taught in this verse?

Jesus was not teaching pacifism. The world will "beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks" - when Messiah has annihilated the forces of evil, and rules the world personally in strict righteousness wherein no criminal activity will be tolerated and He Himself will enforce the law with strict exactitude. But until the Millennium, personal self-defense is legitimate, societal self-defense is legitimate (capital punishment and deadly force by authorized peace officers), and national self-defense is legitimate (the use of force in warfare to protect one's nation from attack and enslavement). In fact, refusing to use force in any of these areas amounts to suicide (and that is clearly not biblical). The fact that abuses occur in all these areas does not negate the validity of the principle. The Roman Empire was anything but a model of tolerance when it came to Christianity, yet it is precisely this authority with which Peter and Paul had to do (and at whose hands they both suffered personally) which they offer up as a model, in this case of the right and necessity to use force on occasion (Rom.13:1-7; 1Pet.2:13-17; cf. 1Tim.2:1-2).

Love,
Madeline

• Members

-edit-
The Roman Empire was anything but a model of tolerance when it came to Christianity, yet it is precisely this authority with which Peter and Paul had to do (and at whose hands they both suffered personally) which they offer up as a model, in this case of the right and necessity to use force on occasion (Rom.13:1-7; 1Pet.2:13-17; cf. 1Tim.2:1-2).

Love,
Madeline

Thanks Madeline. If you didn't know, I don't believe in Christian Pacifism but I want input from others. Appreciate you input.

Would love to hear from others.....