• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Another scary part of the health care bill

• Members

I know they already do it but the bill (I did go read it) makes it sound like they are going to do it alot more widespread, esp in "communities" that are "low income" or "prone to child maltreatment" and I have to think that may just include homeschooling families or other religious families, possibly, although the bill didn't say it.

• Members

I actually read that part of the bill yesterday, too. It is sooooo long, I don't know how anybody expects our officials to sit down and thoroughly analyze every single thing before they take a vote if they keep rushing it. I would suggest a couple of other things about these ah, "voluntary/optional" home visits. 1. Have any of you ladies on here (who had normal, regular insurance, not state insurance) delivered a baby at a hospital who had a "courtesy" home nurse who would stop by your home about 2-3 days after you delivered to see the baby and make sure all was well. I know this was the case at one of the city hospitals I delivered at in Michigan with babies #4 and #5. It was never said it was "voluntary", though, I'm sure it was, but if one declined, they would not only want to know WHY, but would likely make some nasty note on your file that you declined appropriate care for your newborn. While these "home visits" in the health care plan may well be "voluntary", our gov't COULD at some point encourage the HOSPITAL to make them mandatory as part of accepting care at their facility. See, now you still have a choice, now don't you? Don't think they'd pull that? Just look at the GIVE act, those community service hours are going to be mandated by the SCHOOLS as part of their graduation requirements.........that is the only way they can say that it is still "voluntary". (you could voluntarily participate, or choose to go to a private or home school) 2. Because of the nature of the home visits, it implies that records will be kept and maintained. Even if you decline to participate, they will likely have a record of it. This happened to my sil who had a baby 2yrs. ago when a delivery nurse tried to "educate" her about her newborn, but did so in a rude way. When my sil simply asked her why it was necessary that she participate in the intrusive questionaire, the nurse wrote on the baby's chart "Mother was resistant"! (my sil, sneaked a peak at it when the nurse left the room)

• Members

I did have a home visit offered to me when I had my last child, and I declined.... but as far as I know they were kind about it and hopefully did not write anything on my chart. I simply said I already had three other boys at home and was well able to care for the baby. As a matter of fact just to make things easier, I started filling in the nursing and diaper changings on my chart so the nurse didn't have to ask me every time she came in...she was happy I did her job for her. haha. It was just easier to write it down when it happened rather than remember later.

They did get mad at me for turning off the light when the baby was rooming in with me though...told me the baby could suffocate while the light was off. I wondered what I was supposed to do if the baby suffocated with all the lights on and me asleep, but of course I turned the light on like a good girl. haha.

• Members

Reason #7,629,336,207,466 NOT to support this bill - socialsim guised as "healthcare". This new parent *help* sounds as voluntary as their plan to give seniors "voluntary" end of life sessions - the bill never says that word, or "optional", anything like that. This bill's evil and needs to be defeated.

I'm still wondering why turning off the lights can cause an infant to suffocate, but then I remember some "expert" said that.

• Members

Reason #7,629,336,207,466 NOT to support this bill - socialsim guised as "healthcare". This new parent *help* sounds as voluntary as their plan to give seniors "voluntary" end of life sessions - the bill never says that word, or "optional", anything like that. This bill's evil and needs to be defeated.

I'm still wondering why turning off the lights can cause an infant to suffocate, but then I remember some "expert" said that.

She just said that I wouldn't be able to SEE them if they stopped breathing. Of course when I'm sleeping, I can't see them either! :icon_rolleyes: And actually she didn't know but I AM actually paranoid about that and I could see the silhouette of his tummy with the light from under the door and I could watch his tummy go up and down with the breathing. But don't try to tell the nurse that.

In all fairness, I guess they do get lots of crazy moms in there and they don't know who has common sense and who doesn't. Sad.

• Members

She probably just wanted light on so she can come in and check on the baby often without waking anyone up. I usually leave the some lights on (like a night light) when I was night shift nursing assistant. I hated to blast the light on people just to check to see they are ok. Some nurses carry flashlights, but I think that would freak them out.

I turned the light off when I had my son. I let him sleep on my chest while I slept (I am a very light sleeper.. plus, I am deaf so I can't hear a baby cry without my hearing aids on. So I have to let him sleep on me) . When I took him home, I co-slept with him anyway.

For awhile, I took pain medication (for labor) that made me soooooo drowsy even after birth. I had to ask the nurse to take him because I can barely keep myself awake. I was knocked out pretty much. But I am never going to make that mistake again because I couldn't enjoy his birth because I was soooo sleepy. anyway, After the medication wore out, I took him to my room and let him sleep on me all day :)

• Members

No she actually told me that if the light was off, I couldn't make sure the baby was breathing...so it needed to be left on if I wanted to keep the baby in the room with me.

It wasn't a "rooming in" hospital though...they preferred to keep the baby in the nursery, and you had to actually request to room in. So I guess they were stricter than a "rooming in" hospital, which is what the hospital was I had my first two in, in SC.

Liberal area here too, that's probably another thing. Oh for all you who have had babies recently...isn't it crazy you have to sign a paper promising never to shake your baby?!

• Members

sn't it crazy you have to sign a paper promising never to shake your baby?! >>> ha, reminds me of promise to wait til marriage. People can't keep that promise sometimes if they don't have self control.

now, signing a paper that saying I received the education of never shake my baby is better.of course I would sign to promise never shake a baby too, I have no problem with that but I can't see people keeping that promise if they don't have any self control. it is usually the fathers or stepfathers who shake the baby, it seem like.

• Members

When our daughter was born after having a C-Section, my wife had to stay in the hospital for one week. During that time I could not be in the room with my daughter, so when I would come to the hospital if Jerri Lynn was in the room with her, I could not go in. Boy, have they changed things.

One great thing was the insurance, I did not have to pay one single penny.

Signing a paper that you want shake your baby, your right, those who have no self control signing a paper means nothing. Sad to say, there be many who have no self control.

And without all the information, teachings, instructions, Linda and I must have been terrible parents, for when we took Jerri Lynn home we did not know one thing about caring for a baby. But the best I remember back them you hardly ever heard of terrible things happening to babies under the care of their parents.

Wow, boiling bottles, washing diapers, all the other things one had to do it was a full time job caring for a baby back in those days.