• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Time Period of Dinosaurs

• Members

I asked this in another thread; but because the question was a bit off topic from the original post no provided any opinion or answer.

In which Biblical time period do most Bible scholars (the good IFB ones) believe the dinosaurs existed? Was it Adam and Eve's days or just prior to Noah's flood? Have there been any human remains or fossils found near the dinosaurs fossils at the same geological strata?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They were around pre flood and then they probably took young ones on the ark....and then were around quite awhile after the flood but then slowly died off. Job was a contemporary of Abraham, I believe...???? and he wrote of dinosaurs. (Leviathan and Behemoth, which if you ignore Scofield's notes and take the passages literally, they are dinosaurs.)

• Members

I have some questions of my own...

1. Is it possible that men with nothing more than bows and arrows and spears could coexist with giant carnivores like Allosaurs, Spinosaurs and T- Rex?

2.If there were dino passengers on Noah's ark and they slowly died off AFTER the flood, why are 99.9% of dino remains fossilized? Shouldn't we be finding a good bit of +/-5000 year old dino skeletons which are not fossilized?

3. If we can find numerous nonfossilized human and animal remains in places like Canaan, Babylon, ancient Sumeria, and Ur (Abraham's home) why no NON fossilized dino remains there?

4. If Job was a contemporary with Behemoths'... and behemoths were dinosaurs and If Job was a contemporary with Abraham, and Abraham was from Ur, shouldn't all those skeletons from Ur be fossilized like the dinos are? Are any non fossilized "behemoths" being found?

5. What would be the point of taking hundreds, if not thousands, of dino species on Noah's ark, including the giant carnivores, if man could not coexist with them?

6. What would be the point if they were all going to die off anyway? (with the exception of crocodilians)

7. Are you 100% certain that the "behemoth", in the Bible, was a dinosaur?

8. Are you absolutely certain that the "human footprints along side dino footprints", are genuine human footprints?

• Members

I have some questions of my own...

1. Is it possible that men with nothing more than bows and arrows and spears could coexist with giant carnivores like Allosaurs, Spinosaurs and T- Rex?

Yes. If you read the Bible, animals possibly did not fear/be aggressive to man until after the flood. God only then says that animals would "fear and dread" man, and also be used for food. Up until the flood, men were vegetarians and animals had no reason to fear man. According to Job it also sounds like possibly dinos stayed to their own spots, and men probably knew to stay out of their way. There is a description in Job that the one had scales so close together, even a spear could not go between them, so they probably just stayed in their own territory and men knew not to disturb them...similar to lions or other deadly creatures today. There is no proof that dinosaurs were actually aggressive to man as far as seeking them out just to eat them.

2.If there were dino passengers on Noah's ark and they slowly died off AFTER the flood, why are 99.9% of dino remains fossilized? Shouldn't we be finding a good bit of +/-5000 year old dino skeletons which are not fossilized?

Remember, fossils were formed during the flood with the tremendous heat and pressure and water. This is why we find marine fossils in the deserts! If you bury your dog in the back yard, you won't find fossilized bones, you will find them decayed.

3. If we can find numerous nonfossilized human and animal remains in places like Canaan, Babylon, ancient Sumeria, and Ur (Abraham's home) why no NON fossilized dino remains there?

I would guess they may have used bones for things...it is hard to find nonfossilized remains unless they were preserved by man. Again, do we find nonfossilized dogs unless they were buried by man?

4. If Job was a contemporary with Behemoths'... and behemoths were dinosaurs and If Job was a contemporary with Abraham, and Abraham was from Ur, shouldn't all those skeletons from Ur be fossilized like the dinos are? Are any non fossilized "behemoths" being found?

No, remember all fossils were created during the flood. Similarly, coal and oil were formed during the flood. The flood was not just "a big rainstorm" but the entire earth was upheaved, mountains formed, valleys made, caves created, the land broke apart....any living thing immediately fossilized as well as other rocks and minerals formed.

5. What would be the point of taking hundreds, if not thousands, of dino species on Noah's ark, including the giant carnivores, if man could not coexist with them?

They could until after the flood, see above. Read the passage right after Noah gets off the ark and see animals did not fear/hate man until that point.

6. What would be the point if they were all going to die off anyway? (with the exception of crocodilians) Sin caused the flood...the atmosphere changed and some animals died. Its our fault, not God's.

7. Are you 100% certain that the "behemoth", in the Bible, was a dinosaur? Yes, given that we find fossilized dinos, we know they were not a myth....also we can find drawings in ancient caves showing dinos/dragon like creatures coexisted with man. This combined with the literal interpretation of Job will prove this.

8. Are you absolutely certain that the "human footprints along side dino footprints", are genuine human footprints?

No but if they are real, they do not contradict any known science (unless one is an evolutionist) nor do they contradict the Bible.

• Members

I would like to put in my opinion if I may. Most of the dinosaurs died in the flood and were fossilized. Noah only took 2 of each kind of dinosaur onto the ark. They were most likely adults of the smaller ones and the younger of the large ones. One thing you must remember is that ALL animals, before the flood, were vegetarians, (Genesis 1:30) and they had no fear of man. Man was vegetarian too. After the flood the weather was drastically changed, Man was told he could eat animals and the animals were afraid of man. Some animals then became meat eaters too.
Scientists just recently decided that a huge tooth that they thought belonged to a saber tooth tiger actually belonged to a mastodon. Mastodons were vegetarians, but some of their teeth looked like carnivore teeth. Back to where are the bones of the dinosaurs that died after the flood? There just weren't that many of them and when they died, either of old age, disease, or from being killed and eaten, Their bones disintegrated from the weather, and or, were eaten by other animals, just as lions eat an antelope and hyenas eat the bones. CJP56.

• Administrators

I would like to put in my opinion if I may. Most of the dinosaurs died in the flood and were fossilized. Noah only took 2 of each kind of dinosaur onto the ark. They were most likely adults of the smaller ones and the younger of the large ones. One thing you must remember is that ALL animals, before the flood, were vegetarians, (Genesis 1:30) and they had no fear of man. Man was vegetarian too. After the flood the weather was drastically changed, Man was told he could eat animals and the animals were afraid of man. Some animals then became meat eaters too.
Scientists just recently decided that a huge tooth that they thought belonged to a saber tooth tiger actually belonged to a mastodon. Mastodons were vegetarians, but some of their teeth looked like carnivore teeth. Back to where are the bones of the dinosaurs that died after the flood? There just weren't that many of them and when they died, either of old age, disease, or from being killed and eaten, Their bones disintegrated from the weather, and or, were eaten by other animals, just as lions eat an antelope and hyenas eat the bones. CJP56.

I agree with your thoughts here.

If a person accepts the Biblical account of creation, dinosaurs were created on day six, when God created the beasts of the earth. So, dinosaurs were coexistent with Adam.

Most were destroyed in the flood. And who knows why more bones haven't been found. Could be that the force of the flood drove them too deep into the ground. Or they were carried off to places where they are yet to be discovered. Etc.

Everything pre-flood lived longer. After the flood, life spans began to shorten. Well, dinosaurs are giant reptiles, right? This is only my thought, but...Reptiles continue to slowly grow throughout their lives. If a reptile were to live for hundreds of years, they could get quite huge, couldn't they? If, however, they don't live that long (like today), they wouldn't get that big. Look at some of the reptiles around today. The Gila monster. Imagine that thing hundreds of times its size. That could make a dinosaur, all right!

The pictures of dinosaurs we see today are made from guesses. Putting the bones together doesn't put the skin on - there could be a number of similarties with other reptiles.

The Komodo Dragon is, I believe, a moder day dinosaur. Also, those water animals that look like sea monsters (there was a dead one found off the coast of Japan in the '70's).

Did all of the dinosaurs die off? We will never know for sure til we get to heaven, but, personally, I don't think so. I think some are still around today, just not as large.

• Members

Heartstrings I had mentioned in my post about the post flood...I did understand your question. haha. Most things post flood just disintegrated, like I said, like the dog you might bury in your back yard. If they dug around in your back yard 1000 years from now, they likely would not find your dog bones! Especially not if the dog just died on top of the ground and was not buried.

I agree with HC as well...some believe there may even be a few deep sea that scientists have never seen. Look at the giant squid...that was considered a fable or exaggeration until modern times when they actually found a dead one washed up on the shore.

• Members

Heartstrings I had mentioned in my post about the post flood...I did understand your question. haha. Most things post flood just disintegrated, like I said, like the dog you might bury in your back yard. If they dug around in your back yard 1000 years from now, they likely would not find your dog bones! Especially not if the dog just died on top of the ground and was not buried.

I agree with HC as well...some believe there may even be a few deep sea that scientists have never seen. Look at the giant squid...that was considered a fable or exaggeration until modern times when they actually found a dead one washed up on the shore.

"Most things" may have but did all? Numerous remains have been dug up in Mesopotamia, for instance, which date back thousands of years; not radio carbon dated, but dated by written records so we know that they are very ancient. And yet, those bones are not totally disintegrated....and they're not fossilized either. Surely there should be some nonfossilized dino bones in the area somewhere. Deserts can preserve bones for hundreds or thousands of years. Yet places like the vast Sahara or the Gobi contain great quantities of fossilized dino bones....turned to stone. Where are the nonfossilized ones of the dinos which survived the flood?

• Members

Let me answer that with a question....where are all the nonfossilized remains of humans...billions of them...since the flood?

In graveyards, tombs, burial mounds and archaeological sites, all over the world.
Where are the nonfossilized dinos?

And another question.....since we have tons of FOSSILIZED dino bones, that you said were fossilized by the flood, shouldn't we be finding substantial quantities of fossilized bones of people who died in the flood too?

• Members

In graveyards, tombs, burial mounds and archaeological sites, all over the world.
Where are the nonfossilized dinos?

And another question.....since we have tons of FOSSILIZED dino bones, that you said were fossilized by the flood, shouldn't we be finding substantial quantities of fossilized bones of people who died in the flood too?

You do not know how many billions of bodies there should be, and you do not know how many dinosaurs you should find. You cannot prove anything by "how many unfossilized bones" we find. Anyway....its true you find humans in tombs. Who buried the dinosaurs after the flood? What happens to beached whales? Are their bones left for another generation to find? Or do animals take the bones away, they disintegrate, etc?

Most animals who were fossilized during the flood were taken by surprise. Humans probably tried to run, get away, etc....its very likely they were not fossilized (most of them) but died and decayed. There are certain animals you don't find alot of them fossilized....some of them maybe did not get buried quickly and thus fossilized like fish and dinosaurs....others maybe were at the wrong place to get fossilized and were not suddenly buried....some may be down so low in the ground we haven't found them yet. Fossils are not evenly spread, but are found in clumps...probably around spots where the most heat and pressure and burial was formed during the flood. The earth literally broke apart during the flood...water came up from the deep, and other water poured from the skies. The fossilization ended up being random as far as who was where at what time and event during the flood. Also, due to the intense pressure, alot of organic material was formed into coal and oil. Those humans you are referring to are probably part of the oil you burn in your gas tank. There is lava inside the earth....when the earth broke apart, it probably was not just water but hot water and magma. Alot of animals and humans were probably just immediately disintegrated. The flood was not just the rainstorm of children's stories, but an incredibly violent event.

Just curious...what exactly are you trying to disprove with your questions?