• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MyBB: When did we switch?

• Members

A couple questions: When did we switch to MyBB? How does it compare to phpBB3 (for admins and users)?

I'm just wondering because I was thinking about migrating a few forums to phpBB3, but then I noticed OB is using MyBB and so far it looks pretty nice, so I wanted to know in which ways it might be better, and in which ways worse.

• Administrators

anime, it is nice to see you around here again.

We switch over to MyBB about a month ago. The reason why I switched over was because I think we out grew the phpBB software standard features. I got tired of manually adding features and dealing with the updates of the addons when I upgraded.

I think phpBB overall is a better piece of software as far as performance goes, but the development is kinda slow and they do not think too kindly of adding new features. They are however adding features to the next release in 3.0.6. They do have a better updating script than myBB does, and I would give phpBB a little edge on security.

As far as MyBB goes, it has dozens of more standard features than phpBB, and makes for a better social community right out of the box. The plug in system for adding features is second to none. Upload and click to install. I know adding features in phpBB is not hard, but if you are turning the software over to someone else to run, they could run into problems manually editing the files.

phpBB seems to handle larger threads better. If you plan on having threads larger than 1,000 posts, you will notice that MyBB lacks a little in this area. phpBB places larger threads in separate fields so that it handles better.

Admin panel. Permissions settings are more thorough in phpBB, and simpler in MyBB. Other than permissions, I give MyBB an edge.

One thing that phpBB does not have out of the box that MyBB has is the use of Ajax.

I would still use phpBB for things like support forums, but if I was trying to build up a community, I would use MyBB. To me it seems they listen to the public a little better than the devs for phpBB. I got tired of fighting with the devs of phpBB on moving toward the future.

• Members

anime, it is nice to see you around here again.

Thanks for the rewelcome. ^_^ Been kind of busy, and still am, so I will probably post only occasionally.

We switch over to MyBB about a month ago. The reason why I switched over was because I think we out grew the phpBB software standard features. I got tired of manually adding features and dealing with the updates of the addons when I upgraded.

I think phpBB overall is a better piece of software as far as performance goes, but the development is kinda slow and they do not think too kindly of adding new features. They are however adding features to the next release in 3.0.6. They do have a better updating script than myBB does, and I would give phpBB a little edge on security.

As far as I can tell, MyBB is lighter than phpBB, while still having more default fatures. I switched my forum (which was a backup for another site when it would go down) from PunBB for the same reason: manually having to add mods and then updating the forum was a pain.

As far as MyBB goes, it has dozens of more standard features than phpBB, and makes for a better social community right out of the box. The plug in system for adding features is second to none. Upload and click to install. I know adding features in phpBB is not hard, but if you are turning the software over to someone else to run, they could run into problems manually editing the files.

phpBB seems to handle larger threads better. If you plan on having threads larger than 1,000 posts, you will notice that MyBB lacks a little in this area. phpBB places larger threads in separate fields so that it handles better.

Admin panel. Permissions settings are more thorough in phpBB, and simpler in MyBB. Other than permissions, I give MyBB an edge.

One thing that phpBB does not have out of the box that MyBB has is the use of Ajax.

I would still use phpBB for things like support forums, but if I was trying to build up a community, I would use MyBB. To me it seems they listen to the public a little better than the devs for phpBB. I got tired of fighting with the devs of phpBB on moving toward the future.

I guess I'll go with MyBB then, since the sites are social communities. Thanks for the rundown. ^_^