• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Salvation Assurance

• Members

Does anyone ever doubt their salvation? Or do you have any advice for someone who does?

I am a huge worrywart, always have been. I tend to dwell on the "what if's" in life and stress over bad things. Obviously if I am going to worry so much over every little thing, something as huge and important as salvation is definitely going to be a worry of mine. I know what the Scripture says and know I am saved, but yet I always have this "what if" and fear in the back of my mind that I might not be.

Is this normal or am I just weird?

• Members

Does anyone ever doubt their salvation? Or do you have any advice for someone who does?

Try this.... (I'm going to assume that you truly know what the Gospel msg is.)

Ask yourself... "Do I believe the Gospel." If yes then ask yourself: "Have I ACTED and MADE A DECISION." If yes then read:
1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Now tell yourself, "Based upon the Word of God I understand the Gospel, I have made a decision and acted upon (accepted) the Gospel, and I now understand that God wants me to KNOW that I am saved.

Now read this:
Tit 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Now realize that GOD knew it would be our nature to doubt his promise, but HE CANNOT LIE and he knew even before the world began that we would doubt. So he gave us 1 John 5:13 (above) and many other verses for asssurance.

Now, one final step. Go get your Bible. In the front of it write this (If you really mean it): On this day (enter date) because I have trusted Christ as my Saviour, and because I totally depend upon Him for my salvation, I claim God's promise as found in 1 John 5:13 and I KNOW that I am saved.

Anytime you doubt just get your Bible, read your entry, and claim your security in Him!

Remember... salvation is based on what HE did, not what we do.

• Members

Thank you, I will have to try this. I just worry so much about not truly being saved because this is just something I do not want to be wrong about. Going to hell scares me, I do not want to be denied entrance into heaven with our Father. Sometimes I get afraid that the rapture happened and I was left behind, I don't find jokes from preachers about this funny at all! Sometimes it seems like I am the only one who is ever worried about this or who ever fears judgment day with our Lord. I do not deserve heaven, though I know none of us ever will, and that is what scares me as well. I don't deserve it and should not be allowed in. I know our Lord and Savior is so loving and merciful though, so much more than I ever will be or understand, and that it is only through the grace of God that any of us will ever be able to enter heaven.

Being anxious in nothing and putting my burden upon the Lord is something I have always had trouble with so I guess it makes sense that I would stress and be worried about the most important thing in life. Someday I will learn to completely trust the Lord and learn not on my own understanding for everything in this world. We all have our struggles and temptations and I suppose this is just mine to learn and grow through.

• Members

I totally understand! I am one who is always double checking things, feeling like I forgot something, etc. So naturally yeah, something as important as eternity, the devil likes to ask "Are you sure you did that right? Are you sure you are saved? What if you didn't repent or what if you didn't believe enough?" Etc.

Its a good reminder that its not of works...nothing WE do. Its not our prayer....and there's not a "faith measure" in heaven that if you only have this much faith, you don't make the cut.... its all what Christ did. "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness".....and that was "look and live". Obviously the "look" is a look of repentance and turning away from one's old life...but its a matter of believing God and what HE did, and what HE promised.

The devil still tries to make me doubt, but once you know that you accepted Christ, just fight him off by reminding him what Christ did for you...and don't let the devil get you down! Without assurance, its hard to further live for God.

• Members

Thank you, I will have to try this. I just worry so much about not truly being saved because this is just something I do not want to be wrong about. Going to hell scares me, I do not want to be denied entrance into heaven with our Father.

2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." When you are fearful, Lily, you can know that that fear is not from God. There is no reason to fear hell as a child of God.

I think you need to get to the root of WHY you are fearful about not being saved. Why do you think you're fearful? When you're worrying, what are the actual thoughts that are going through your mind? The Bible tells us that perfect (or mature or whole) love casts out fear.

• Members

The devil is the accuser of the brethren. He accuses you before God and he tries to make you doubt that you are saved. The devil paints a hopeless picture and hedoes that so he can keep you defeated. So when the devil is making you doubt, he gives you NO hope or way of escape. But when God, the Holy Spirit, convicts, He always gives hope; He shows a way out, and He points you to Jesus.

When the devil tries to make me doubt, I just look back to the time and place when God showed me what I was a sinner on my way to hell and how wonderful and holy and righteous He was. But then Jesus gave me Hope when He said "come unto me". So draw near to Jesus, resist the devil, and he will flee.