• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Chivalry Biblical?

Is Chivalry Biblical?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chivalry Biblical?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't know.
    • Other.

• Members

One example of chivalry would be when the Titanic was sinking, back in the early 1900s. There weren't enough lifeboats for everyone, so all of the men stayed on the ship, letting the women and children go on the precious boats.

Here's the dictionary definiton:
chivalry 1. The medieval system, principles, and customs of knighthood. 2.a. The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women. b. A manifestation of any of these qualities. 3. A group of knights or gallant gentlemen.

Basically, it is being a gentlemen, being courageous, gallant, etc. I am sure Wikipedia probably has more on it if you wish to learn more about it before voting, or you could do a Google search.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

I haven't voted, yet... Crush; however, if the Webster's 1828 dictionary says that it is Biblical? Then it is. I love Chivalry - b/c I feel safe with a husband to care for me. He is head of the household and I am relieved. *smile*

In Christ,

Molly

• Members

I haven't voted, yet... Crush; however, if the Webster's 1828 dictionary says that it is Biblical? Then it is. I love Chivalry - b/c I feel safe with a husband to care for me. He is head of the household and I am relieved. *smile*

In Christ,

Molly

Just so you know, ma'am, that's not the Webster's dictionary; it's the American Heritage Dictionary.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Yes - was my vote!! I love Chivalry. Although, it has been lost in society... I see more and more men around my area doing this. Women love it! Well - I DO... at least. I suppose if you wanted to do a Poll for women - you might be surprised. On secular site... I would have to say that the majority of women 'might' say, "YES", as well! Just my thoughts. And, God says...

Ephesians 5:25-28...25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish (fault). 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

In Christ Jesus ~

Molly

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes.

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Romans 12:10-13
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

I believe the scriptures above set the tone of chivalry from Christians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The chivalric code was based upon Scripture.

Many things can lead one to pride but that doesn't make them wrong. Many years ago I began becoming prideful of all the Bible verses I had memorized!:icon_rolleyes:The Lord dealt with me over that's no longer a problem.

Regardless, neither memorizing Scripture nor being chivalrous is wrong because one could become prideful.

• Members

Out of curiosity, ma'am, what do you mean by that?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Well there are men out there who thinks the bible give them permission to control their wives and even abuse them. They kinda make their wives treat them as a god and that the wives have to worship the ground they walk on... instead of focusing the true God in heaven. That type of pride...

basically they were treating their own flesh as a god (just like all sins do)

I have been in relationship that type of man before I met my husband.

• Members

just to be clear, I am mainly talking about men who verbal and physically abuse and rape women... and use the bible as an excuse for their behavior. <---- and this is main reason why so women became feminism. (they say that women have to work because their husband is abusing them and their children, rather is verbal, physical, or sexual... they had to get out of the relationship. This is why my grandma left my grandfather. He was abusive to my grandma and their children)

• Administrators

Well there are men out there who thinks the bible give them permission to control their wives and even abuse them. They kinda make their wives treat them as a god and that the wives have to worship the ground they walk on... instead of focusing the true God in heaven. That type of pride...

basically they were treating their own flesh as a god (just like all sins do)

I have been in relationship that type of man before I met my husband.

That isn't chivalry, though! That is pride - sin. Chivalry is actually (nowadays - didn't always mean this) treating women in a gentlemanly manner, such as opening doors, etc. Is is Biblical? I believe principles in the Bible bear out the idea of chivalry.