• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinist T-Shirt

• Members

Most Christians are unaware that Calvin (aka The Protestant Pope) had a man named Servetus burned at the stake for heresy. Calvin showed compassion at the last minute though and tried to get authorities to only behead Servetus instead.

Really, never heard about that, was it he did not like people who were anti-Calvinist?

Edited to add.

I found information on this.

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/ashes.htm

Thanks for pointing this out, Calvin was not much of a godly man for doig something like this.

• Members

According to what I read it was not Calvin who had him torched, but he did testify against him. Amazing, Calvin tried to be merciful to this man, behead him instead of making him suffer by burring at the stake.

Seems like the doctrine Calvin invented is on the rise today

• Members

I fail to see the humour in the initial post. Although I am not a Calvinist, the BIBLE does tell us that God hath "chosen us in him before the foundation of the world" (Eph. 1:4a). God hath chosen us because He knew beforehand who would and would not respond to the Gospel, and I'm refering to ALL people. That's not Calvinism, that's the BIBLE!

Love,
Madeline

• Administrators

I fail to see the humour in the initial post. Although I am not a Calvinist, the BIBLE does tell us that God hath "chosen us in him before the foundation of the world" (Eph. 1:4a). God hath chosen us because He knew beforehand who would and would not respond to the Gospel, and I'm refering to ALL people. That's not Calvinism, that's the BIBLE!

I agree with you, thus the T-shirt.

• Members

Talking about the subject I had a Calvinist admit to me that all "unelect" babies would go to hell. I'm not making this up. But he tried to back peddle and say that only "elect" babies die and never babies who are predestined to damnation. So every baby who has died was thankfully predestined to heaven already.

• Members

Does Ephesians 1:4 say He chose individuals? And in the next verse, does He predestinate individuals? Isn't it simply saying that God chose "us", a group, to be blameless? Isn't it saying that God's design and plan for this collective group, "us", from the beginning was that WE be blameless? And in the next verse this group, "we" are predestinated to be adopted as sons. Neither verse says anything about choosing any individual does it?

If I was a football coach and at the beginning of the season I said "I've chosen this year's team to be winners of the championship". Does this statement mean I selected each member of the team? No, that's not what it means. Could I make that statement good? It would be up to my team wouldn't it? Well, it's not that way with God. He chose that His "team", from the beginning, would be winners....and it's not up to us.