• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reese Chronological Bible

• Members

Just wanted to encourage everyone to read through the Reese Chronological Bible at last once. The dating is not "perfect" and many times it is a "best guess" as to the date, but it sure adds to your Bible Study. - Read all four Gospels placed in chronological order, read the happenings of the Northern and Southern Kingdoms in parallel, read the Psalms placed in the narrative at the time they were written, etc.

• Members

I'm glad you posted this. I've often wondered about reading a chronological Bible but I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

Any thing else to say about the Reese Chronological Bible? Why is this one better than whatever else might be out there (I'm not sure what is available with regards to chronological bibles).

• Members

I'm glad you posted this. I've often wondered about reading a chronological Bible but I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

Any thing else to say about the Reese Chronological Bible? Why is this one better than whatever else might be out there (I'm not sure what is available with regards to chronological bibles).

It's the only Bible that attempst this. You can get other material that attempts to put things in Chronological order but not a Bible you can just sit down and read.

Also, Reese seems pretty solid doctrinally. I believe he teaches at Crown College in TN.

• Members

Thank you! I know that's the only one I knew the name of but didn't know if there were others out there or not.

I might consider getting one of these later this year.

I read through the Bible every year, plus additional Bible reading, and I try to change up my reading somewhat each year. Maybe reading through the Reese Chronological Bible next year might be a good idea.

• Members

I met Mr. Reese at a Bible Conference once. He described for me how they obtained their original "manuscript."

He and his wife bought a bible and then cut it up and laid it out (pasted it) into what is now the order as published. This of course took years.

I have someone in mind for a chronological Bible as a gift. They expressed to me that they have to have "things" in order to receive any enjoyment or understanding from reading. So, maybe this is the one. I'll check the prices on-line. Thanks!

• Members

I have a serious question here, doesn't changing the order of the scriptures violate it's integrity and therefore substantially change the very Word of God itself? It would seem to me that any person holding to KJVO position would have to repudiate doing this to the Bible in order to be consistent with their reasoning for being KJVO.

• Members

I don't think your premise holds water. You can take the present KJV Bible and read it in any order you choose. In fact, few people read the Bible through from Genesis to Revelation.

Believe me, I am a KJB man! No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. I see no harm in laying out the Scriptures in chronological order to further your study.

Use the Reese Bible the same way you would use a concordance, dictionary, or encyclopedia. But it should not be used as your main study Bible. (That would be impractical anyway the way it's laid out.)

The order was previously decided by men, the words were decided by God. No, it doesn't effect my use of the KJV as my only Bible.

P.S. I just purchased the Reese Chronological Bible on line.

• Members

trc123... Let me add this. You are right in some respects. With a chronological Bible things like Progressive Revelation and other Bible study methods are harmed. I guess it's just that I see the Reese Bible as a reference work and not a Bible. The standard Bible should always be used as the Bible and nothing else.

Thanks for standing for the KJB!

• Members

The order was previously decided by men, the words were decided by God. No, it doesn't effect my use of the KJV as my only Bible.

P.S. I just purchased the Reese Chronological Bible on line.

The order of the BOOKS was decided by men but the "order" within each book itself was given by God. trc123 is right in this respect.

Enjoy your Reese Bible! Use it as intended (a reference tool and not a Bible) and you'll LOVE it!

• Members

I don't personally like it because I am familiar with how the bible is laid out and I find what they believe to be the Chronological ordering confusing and hard to work with because of that. Useing it as a study aid as holster recommends would be fine if you think such a thing would be helpful to you.

• Members

If this exception can be made to the KJVO position (changing the order of verses for study only), then the person who simply looks at a more recent Bible translation as a commentary; but holds that the KJV is the only inspired and inerrant Word of God for English speaking people has the same legitimate claim of why they use a modern translation and that person should not be put down by those holding that the chronological bible is okay as a study Bible.