• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

5 Most Significant Events

• Members

If you could name the 5 most significant events in church history, what would they be? Obviously Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are the most significant so let's start at Pentecost and move forward in time.

If you could name the 5 most significant events in Baptist history, what would they be?

• Members

Wow... that's a TALL order! Do they have to be distinctively Baptist? I would think the Printing Press and availability of the printed Word to all would be one but that's not necessarily "Baptist." There are so many.. even in recent time (since founding of the US). I thank the Lord for the stand of all those who stood for Bible Truth. This will be an interesting topic!

• Members

Yeah this is hard!

The persecution and dispersion of the Christian Jews after the ascension would be a huge one...

Otherwise I forget most of the stuff I learned in college. haha. Martin Luther, although protestant and not Baptist, really opened up Reformation in Europe which eventually down the road led to the move to America and freedom of religion. Then there's the Great Awakening.

Printing press is a good one!

• Members

Martin Luther, although protestant and not Baptist, really opened up Reformation in Europe which eventually down the road led to the move to America and freedom of religion.

Yeah but there were good Baptists (though not called that) already practicing Baptist doctrine all along. And they were being killed and persecuted. They deserve our thoughts.

Of course, the 1611 KJB would have to be included I would think.

• Members

The publishing of Roger Williams "The Bloudy Tennent". Laid down key Baptist ideals for a new country that was hopelessly locked into a false religion. It provided key concepts and principles for our founding fathers.

• Members

It is supposed to be 5 from church history in general

AND

5 from Baptist History.

Sorry for not clarifying...

Though almost impossible to answer in general I would go with:

1) Paul's conversion

2) The Council at Jerusalem (Acts 15)

3) John's exile to the Isle of Patmos

4) Gutenberg's printing of the Bible

5) Translation of the KJV

• Members

The thing is, the true New Testaments Churches during the dark ages, all of their records where mostly destroyed by the Catholics who were trying their best to wipe out the true churches that had been started thru the scattering of the church at Jerusalem.

Thank goodness, we do teach church history and all those things call catechesis, but rather we teach right from God's true Word.

One of the greatest things was those who had a hand in getting Bibles in the hands of the common man, of course the Catholics did everything possible to keep that from happening, but who can fight against God and win?