• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Kind of Snake Is This?

• Members

My son found him on our breezeway.

He was only about 12-18 inches long and was not aggressive at all. As I was poking him out the door with a long stick, I got a good look at one of his eyes, and it was round. I'm inclined to think he is a juvenile rat snake. Anyone know for sure?

The camera picked up his markings really well; from a distance, he just looked black.

090tza.jpg

• Members

It looks like a snake that I would not want to meet up with, of course I don't like snakes.

Last summer i went out the back door, turned left went to the edge of of the covered concrete, bent over to trim some grass, looked up and saw a copperhead about 10 feet from my face coming towards me at a high rate of speed.

I quickly jumped back and ran to our storage building grabbed a hoe, I did not have to go all the way back to where I 1st saw him for he was still coming after me, he lost the battle. I've never had a snake come after me like that on land.

In Jesus,
Jerry

• Members

It looks like a snake that I would not want to meet up with, of course I don't like snakes.

Last summer i went out the back door, turned left went to the edge of of the covered concrete, bent over to trim some grass, looked up and saw a copperhead about 10 feet from my face coming towards me at a high rate of speed.

I quickly jumped back and ran to our storage building grabbed a hoe, I did not have to go all the way back to where I 1st saw him for he was still coming after me, he lost the battle. I've never had a snake come after me like that on land.

In Jesus,
Jerry

Ditto! I hate snakes!! :runforhills: (And Bakers, I certainly would never be accused of wanting to get close enough to inspect its eyes to see if they're round or elliptical! No matter how curious I was in wanting to identify it.)

• Members

Ditto! I hate snakes!! :runforhills: (And Bakers, I certainly would never be accused of wanting to get close enough to inspect its eyes to see if they're round or elliptical! No matter how curious I was in wanting to identify it.)

Well, I studied him from a distance long enough before approaching him. I'm not scared of snakes if I know ahead of time that they are not poisonous. All he wanted to do was get away. And judging by his size, he was very, very young.

BTW, our local library had a science exhibition yesterday which I took the kids to. They had a ball python (they're not venomous) there who was very cute and very curious. We all got to pet her, and since she has been handled by humans since she was hatched, she was very tame. The only precaution the lady gave was that if anyone there owned mice or gerbils, they shouldn't approach the snake because she would smell "lunch" on them and try to bite them.

• Members

And to think, Bakers pets snakes! :tapping:

My youngest grandson has a pet python, I think he is nuts, his mom is to, for letting him have it.

In Christ Jesus,
Jerry

• Members

My son found him on our breezeway.

He was only about 12-18 inches long and was not aggressive at all. As I was poking him out the door with a long stick, I got a good look at one of his eyes, and it was round. I'm inclined to think he is a juvenile rat snake. Anyone know for sure?

The camera picked up his markings really well; from a distance, he just looked black.

090tza.jpg

What state do you live in?

• Administrators

In Jesus,
Jerry

Ewww!! Copperheads are known to be very aggressive! When we lived on our farm in WV, we were very glad to have black snakes around (they are non-poisonous, although a bite could make you sick). They kept the area clear of copperheads. (Jerry, I would be petrified to go after one!!)

I remember when I worked at Mount Salem Revival Grounds, we stayed in one of the buildings at the top of the (long!) hill. Many a night it was very late when we headed to bed. One of the things that I was really leery of when we got to our cabin was the smell of cucumbers...when there are no cucumbers growing, and you smell them anyway, you can be sure there's a copperhead very close by!!! When we smelled cucumbers, we beat feet into the building!!!!

If I know a snake isn't poisonous, I don't get scared...but I don't wanna pet 'em! *shudder*

• Members

That's a rat snake.

Yes, that is a juvenile rat snake. I checked the list of all snakes of NC and the markings and shape of head match. The site says they are very docile too. You might actually want to let it hang around since it might keep pests out of your house.