• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

This or That

mainstays

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup, that counts. :lol: :lol:

Ranch-style:::: Long, low and spread out. Moore's Law applies to the size of it. (Moore's Law:::: If a little is good, then more is better, and[b][i] WAY, WAY, TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!!![/i][/b] :rollover: :rollover: )

Dug basement :(

--or--

Built on a concrete slab above ground level :D

• Members

Hmmm.....we don't have a basement, but I suppose one built above ground on a cement slab may have less problems with leakage and water damage.... :D

Casement or double hung window?

(Casement has a crank out operation and a double hung raises up and down in a track).... :mrgreen:..at least, that is how those types operate around here.... :wink:

• Members

We have both of those types of windows:::

A casement window in the kitchen over the sink, so my wife can crank it out a little bit, and we can catch the warm spring breezes and listen to the sounds of the little people of the woods:: squirrels, birds, whistle-pigs (aka ground-hogs), raccoons.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The rest of the house has those new double-hung vinyl types with thermo-pane and low-E glass. They keep out the UV and IR light rays in summer, and keep the heat in during winter. Both sashes are easily removable for cleaning.

If you would have a picture window, would you prefer::::

One large pane of glass, triple strength,

--or--

The Early-American style of multiple small panes. so that in a 5' high x 8' wide window there might be a pattern of six rows high by twelve columns wide.

• Members

One large pane of glass, triple strength....this type is much easier to clean..... :D ....although I love the look of the Early-American style.

Three years ago, I retired from a window manufacturing facility.....while I was there, I worked in the glass department, making the sealed units and filling them with argon or krypton gas.....we made all types of windows, in all shapes and sizes. :mrgreen:

Windows with grills or without?

• Members

Windows with removable grills. This way I can have one large pane of glass to ease the cleaning chore, and then put the grill back in, and I have lotsa small sections (panes) again.

The woodwork trim on the outside:::

Would you prefer,

aluminum covered woodwork (to make it zero-maintenance),

--or--

something stained natural, as in teak or cedar.

• Members

Hmmm...who's doing the work..... :wink: ....me or my hubby.... :lol:

I prefer something natural, as in teak, cedar, or pine.

In 2000 we covered our 40x80 shed in pine barnboard and have left it to weather naturally.....it has taken on a weathered grey color.... :D We love the look of it!

Wood siding or vinyl siding?

• Members

[quote]
Wood siding or vinyl siding?
[/quote]

I'll have aluminum, instead. Vinyl cracks, and chips in sub-zero weather, and wood is high maintenance.

Do you prefer:::

covered porch or patio, and screened in, even. :D
--or--

uncovered patio

--or--

no porch or patio at all

• Members

[quote]
Outdoor rocking chair or outdoor recliner?
[/quote]

I'll have both of those. :D :D

Shade trees to shelter the house:::

Would you prefer

Broadleaf types like maple, sweet gum, oak, catalpa, redbud, tulip poplar, etc.

--or--

Narrower, but compound leaf types like[b][i] white ash [/i][/b](

• Members

[quote]
Wash your automobile at home or at the car wash?
[/quote]

I'd rather wash it at home, but since I'm usually too lazy I'll probably do it at the car wash after my next fill-up! :lol:

Garage

or

Carport?

• Members

[quote]
Automatic garage door opener or manually open the door?
[/quote]

Both, hehehehehe. I want the convenience of the automatic, but with a trip catch that I can pull to disengage the auto-feature.

One car garage for the car only

--or--

Multi-car garage, and workshop off to the side along one wall. :D

Archived