• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I have to agree with you John. I do however believe it has something to do with Pauls eyesight getting worse and worse. [i]Is worser a word?[/i]

I would like to say something else about Paul. While it is never said, I always see Paul as a man who struggles with a temper, or anger. I see a man who loves God. But I do not see an affectionate Paul. To me Paul always seems harsh. I understand Paul has been through so much, But I do not see a soft side to Paul. like one might see out of John, or Peter.

• Members

at my old church (charismatic) the pastor preached that he had a literal "thorn in the flesh". hahaha.... i dunno... lookin at the verse now....

hmm... so you are saying it wasnt a literal "thorn" :lol: but something which was like a thorn in the flesh so an affliction of some sort whether emotional or physical or a sin struggle?.....

haha i think i get it.... hmmmm hahaha awesome.

• Members

i heard a preacher preach on this just recently. the focus shouldn't be what the affliction was but that the Lord didn't remove the affliction. alot of people will say if a person is afflicted with something that they are out of the will of God. what do you think? the Lord gave this to Paul so that Paul would not get self confident. not only that, is that the Lord be glorified through it. it is easy to praise the Lord when we feel well and all things are going well but we are refined when adversity overwhelms us and we are not up to par. we have to look to our Lord for strength. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. this is the message that i think he was trying to show us through Paul's affliction.

• Members

A good example is Joni Erickson Tada who before her diving into a lake and breaking her neck, was very active in sports. The accident caused her to be paralyzed from the neck down. But she is a radiant Spirit filled Christ. God is using her to manifest His grace and glory through her affliction.

Bad things happen to Godly people, read Hebrews 11:32-39.

the thorn in the flesh of paul being poor eyesight will certainly do no harm to the text or to teach it as such damages no one.

interesting cross reference is Numbers 33:55 - the jews left some in the land, and just as the LORD said they would become "pricks in your EYES, and THORNS in your flesh". who'd figure on actually checking to see what the Bible said huh?

paul obvioulsly had more problems that just poor eysight.
2 Corinthians 10:10 says, "his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible". his physical appearance no doubt maimed by the many beatings, stonings... he may have been even a little grotesque, who knows?

to make it a sin, doesn't make any sense. to look for flaws in the character of paul will also be a rabbit trail, leaing to nowhere actually. (like an affinity for women, [for men is just plain stupid to even consider], temper, anger... i just don't think you'll find any real scripture for it)

i think a case could be made for him having a stutter.

the thorn in the flesh was certainly not merely metaphorical, but also as has been said, it was the fruit it produced in the life of paul that we should yearn for.

also 1 Corinthians 2:2,3; Josh. 23:13; Judges 2:3; Psalms 106:34-36

i would think that the jews that hindered his ministry would fit the bill as thorns in the flesh. again, Satan sent "messengers" to Job, and several of them were attacks upon his welfare, his family, and then finally his person.

just a thought or two....

• 4 years later...
do you think that Paul's thorn in the flesh was an illness? or do you think that it was his besetting sin? i have often wondered about this please elaborate and why?

I think that perhaps it was the guilt he felt over his previous sin. I don't think there is any way to know for sure though.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I love this answer/post by grace2u

On 5/21/2003 at 3:27 PM, grace2u said:

I think God doesn't expand on the thorn, so that we will not dismiss all the things in life that might be our thorns. We have to pause and consider what besets us....

On 5/21/2003 at 3:38 PM, Jerry said:

Yes, I agree. The Bible teaches that the Apostle Paul is an example to the churches. The Lord may have left out what his thorn in the flesh was, so we could apply the same principles to any ongoing affliction we may suffer. The Lord's answer to Paul is His answer to all His children. Let's walk by faith and rely on His grace!

2 Corinthians 12:9 [i]And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.[/i]

It will always be sufficient! ?

On 5/21/2003 at 4:04 PM, grace2u said:

Amen.... ?

But I look at it this way...if I do have thorns.....I guess that makes me a rose huh? ?

Not necessarily.   Remember the ungodly society all deal with thorns also,  and they are death dealing.