• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 16:15?

• Members

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Here Jesus is coming for His own, per 1 Thessalonians 4:16, He will gather the church up with no one aware of what is going on. Its going to be quite a time on earth with family member trying to figure out where their loved ones have gone to.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Here Jesus comes with clouds and every eye shall see Him, of course He is coming with the church (clouds) to set on the throne of David,

This is the order, Jesus 1st comes for His Own, this is the rapture of the saints, 1 Thessalonians 4:16, later, after the 7 years of tribulations, He comes back with His own, "clouds" (church) to set down on the throne of David to rule the nations with a rod of iron.

• Members

"Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments"

These people:

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

1 Cor 3:11-15 (KJV)

Will they not be very blessed at this event spoken about in the above verses, that is they want lose rewards. Of course I understand that there be many those who think that this, "Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments" is speaking of those who are working real hard to be saved, but we know that is not true.

• Members

Good answers PE and Jerry.

We are to continually be growing in Christlikeness and looking with anticipation for the soon return of Christ. If we are truly expecting Him any moment, we will want to be free from sin and its entanglements which means we will be pursuing holiness in our lives.

This is to serve as a warning to those who think they can just get saved and then pu their Christianity in cruise control.

Christ wants to find us walking in the Spirit, not in the flesh, when He returns.

• Members

The garments would be, I assume, similar to the parable of the virgins with oil....we must always be ready for Christ's return...being found "naked" would be similar to being found in "shame"...or unprepared for Christ's return. I believe the garments are figurative.

• Members
Thank you Bro P.E. and Bro Jerry!

I found that verse in a Mennonite Tract to explain why they adhere to their plain dress. That was why I wanted to hear the IFB thought about this verse.

I would not put down the Amish nor Mennonites dressing, there is no doubt they dress modest. And there is no doubt their live a life trying to avoid the appearance of evil.

But I don't feel that verse is actually referring to the way we dress, but you and I both know there be plenty of verses in the Bible that teaches modest dressing habits and to even avoid the appearance of evil.

To many Christians, and even many Baptist say the only thing that counts is what's in your heart, but if its in your heart, it will show up brilliantly on the outside. Many Christians must have it all hid on the inside.

• Members

Bro. Jerry, according to a Mennonite Tract that I read, they do not believe in eternal security, and therefore all that they do is to keep themselves holy and free from sin, for if they do not then they fear losing their salvation. It is indeed a works based religion much like the RCC who believe that if they do not attend mass, light candles and be good catholics they will not go to Heaven either. They believe the rest of us are lost because of the sinful way we live, and indeed compared to the way they live we are quite worldly - maybe too much so.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Amish and the Mennonite people, I just worry that they are relying on their outward actions to save them and have no true knowledge of saving grace. I have been accused by members of this board about being "legalistic", but it is not so. I believe in eternal security, but I also believe that if I want to get close to the Lord and walk with Him, the only way to do that is to stop letting my flesh get in the way and to obey His commandments.

• Administrators
Bro. Jerry, according to a Mennonite Tract that I read, they do not believe in eternal security, and therefore all that they do is to keep themselves holy and free from sin, for if they do not then they fear losing their salvation. It is indeed a works based religion much like the RCC who believe that if they do not attend mass, light candles and be good catholics they will not go to Heaven either. They believe the rest of us are lost because of the sinful way we live, and indeed compared to the way they live we are quite worldly - maybe too much so.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Amish and the Mennonite people, I just worry that they are relying on their outward actions to save them and have no true knowledge of saving grace. I have been accused by members of this board about being "legalistic", but it is not so. I believe in eternal security, but I also believe that if I want to get close to the Lord and walk with Him, the only way to do that is to stop letting my flesh get in the way and to obey His commandments.

The Amish are 100% works based. The Mennonites vary. My hubby's grandma attended a Mennonite church the last many years of her life, and that church didn't teach that you could lose your salvation. I think by and large they do, but not all of them.

Your last statement is so absolutely correct, Janet!! Jesus said that if we love Him, we are to keep His commandments. He then went on to talk about loving each other - but He said commandments, plural, so He wasn't just talking about love!!

edited to add: When I read the verse in Revelation, it put me in mind immediately of the verse in James 1:25-27

"But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

• Members

I've heard many people say that.

I can testify to this fact, at a funeral service I attended where a pastor of a SBC Church and a pastor of our local Mennonite Church spoke, the SBC failed miserably, but the Mennonite laid out the true path to eternal life without adding works to it. But I understand that this Mennonite was not speaking for every group of Mennonites, but if what he preached is what they teach and believe this group of Mennonites do not trust in works.

And yes, I've read some articles on the Amish and they seem to trust in their own works and do not hold to eternal security.

I suppose and know there are those people who call their self Baptist who do not teach God's true path, just as their be both Amish and Mennonite groups, as well as others, who do not teach the true path.

I might add, their are some false teaching groups out there that do hold to many Bible truths, actually that is what makes them so dangerous.

But the comment I made about them was held to this.

<<"I would not put down the Amish nor Mennonites dressing, there is no doubt they dress modest. And there is no doubt their live a life trying to avoid the appearance of evil.">>

Their life style, the way they dress does avoid the appearance of evil, I can't say the same for all Baptist.