• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

You Eat WHAT??????

• Members

[quote="LIGHTGAFFER"]
I really like garlic too. Also onions, garlic, chives, and leeks all observe Moore's Law:::

[b]Moore's Law => If a little is good, then more is better, and way, way too much is just right. :D [/b]

Dose anyone out there like:::

[b]Tripe[/b] => Pig's stomach cut in small pieces or strips and pickled

[b]Souse[/b]=> Pickled pig's feet

[b]Pig puddin's[/b]=> Leftovers from the hog-butchering process that we didn't know what else to do with, so it's ground up fine and packaged.

[b]Pig brains[/b]=> A very fine delicacy indeed.

[b]Head-cheese[/b]=> The pig's head is dehaired, then put into the cooking kettle and all the good stuff is cooked off (i.e. the eyeballs, what's left of the brain-cavity contents after the brains have been extracted, etc. Then the pot is skimmed, and the skimmings are ground up fine and packaged. Liverwurst is a type of head-cheese.

Then after the kettle has been completely skimmed and everything processed, the remaining kettle-liquid is poured into big cans as lard. There isn't anything in the whole wide world that can make pie crusts as nice, flaky and tasty as pure lard. It is also the most effective cutting fluid for cast iron. There simply is not any other formulation, synthetic or otherwise, that will work as well.
[/quote]

Hummm, where I come from souse and hog's-head cheese are the same thing and pigs feet are just called pigs feet. What about "chitlins" - pigs skin, which is very fatty, fried to a crisp. And tongue - that's right, boiled cows tongue. Or rabbit, squirrel, 'possum, or a delicacy that has been outlawed since I was young - "gofer" which isn't a furry little rodent that eats your garden from underneath, but a type of land tortoise in the south.

I admit I don't eat any of these things but My mother grew up eating them.

Here are some of the strange things I eat:

Pineapple sandwiches - a ring of pineapple between toasted bread, with mayo.

banana sandwiches - plain bread, banana slices, with mayo

black-eyed peas with ketchup

And I like to mix my condiments - mayo, ketchup, and mustard all mixed together is good on hamburgers and great to dip your fries in. I also mix steak sauce and ketchup to dip fries in.

Anyone ever heard of pepper jelly? It's a sweet jelly made from hot peppers. It's great on turkey sandwiches! Also you can stir it up and pour it over a block of cream cheese and serve it with crackers.

But I guess my biggest weakness is raw brownie batter!!! :oops:

WR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="LIGHTGAFFER"]
[quote]seasoned fries (curly or straight)!
[/quote]

I love curly seasoned (spicy) fries, and wth honey mustard yet. That is to die for. :) :D :lol: :mrgreen:[/quote]

I like seasoned "tater logs" [potato wedges] dipped in honey mustard!

Hummm... maybe we are long lost siblings. :lol:

WR

• Members

Let's hear it out there for fried green tomatoes!!!! YUM!!!!!
I have eaten cow tongue-not too bad. I have eaten, and don't suggest anyone else try it, baked pig brains mixed with eggs. I LOVE fried cabbage and noodles!!! YES!!! Peanut butter and sugar sandwiches are wonderful!! Try it!!! CJP56. \V/

• Members

[quote]
What about "chitlins" - pigs skin, which is very fatty, fried to a crisp.
[/quote]

Well actually chitlins are hog intestines (thoroughly washed so they say) and either boiled or fried. There is a restruant near here that has monthly chitlin suppers (yuck) I eat most Southern foods but I leave the chitlins to those with stronger stomachs and nose than I have. :lol:

Pig Skins or Pork Rinds as they are called around here are "pigs skin,which is very fatty, fried to a crisp". They also fry the fat into something called cracklings, it is great addedto cornbread.

• Members

Hi Everybody,

White Rock, I can see now that you and I were cut from the same cloth, at the very same time. Maybe it was at the hospital when we were born, one of us was stolen away.
:mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen:

All of those things that you mentioned are really, really good and tasty.

I especially like to mix condiments, just as you've suggested. :D

• Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]
My hubby thinks this is gross but I love macaroni and cheese (only velveeta) with tuna in it.
[/quote]

I take it a bit further and make up this "stuff" with tuna, mac-n-cheese, condensed cream of celery soup --straight from the can. Stir it all up, sprinkle some shredded cheese and parsley on top and nuke it! Yummmm. Strange thing is, nobody else seems to like it as much as I do. :roll:

• Members

[quote="Tim"]
[quote]What about "chitlins" - pigs skin, which is very fatty, fried to a crisp.
[/quote]

Well actually chitlins are hog intestines (thoroughly washed so they say) and either boiled or fried. There is a restruant near here that has monthly chitlin suppers (yuck) I eat most Southern foods but I leave the chitlins to those with stronger stomachs and nose than I have. :lol:

Pig Skins or Pork Rinds as they are called around here are "pigs skin,which is very fatty, fried to a crisp". They also fry the fat into something called cracklings, it is great addedto cornbread.[/quote]

Oh yeah, that's right. It's been a long time since I sat in granny's kitchen and watched her cook up these things. I do remember the chitlins really smelled bad, though. I have had cracklin's and will still eat pig's skin every once in a blue moon - sometimes I just want to sit down to a bag of pork rinds and a Dr. Pepper!

Hey has anyone here tried putting salted peanuts in your Coke! It's great! The peanuts flavor your drink and your drink flavors the peanuts - which you eat when your at the end of the Coke.

• Members

[quote="LIGHTGAFFER"]
Hi Everybody,

White Rock, I can see now that you and I were cut from the same cloth, at the very same time. Maybe it was at the hospital when we were born, one of us was stolen away.
:mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen: :rollover: :mrgreen:

All of those things that you mentioned are really, really good and tasty.

I especially like to mix condiments, just as you've suggested. :D
[/quote]

:D :lol: :rollover:

The South is the only place I've seen where people eat fruit sandwiches. I say, it's because we were so poor after the Civil War that we had to get very creative in order to eat - Hince, friut sandwiches, and things like squirrel, 'possum, souse, etc.

Are you from the South?

• Members

[quote]
Hey has anyone here tried putting salted peanuts in your Coke! It's great! The peanuts flavor your drink and your drink flavors the peanuts - which you eat when your at the end of the Coke.
[/quote]

Now there is something that I really like. :D :mrgreen:

I know what it is like to grow up church-mouse poor. We had lotsa ground-hogs (aka whistle-pigs) though. I know a lot of people don't like to eat them, but I hafta tell ya, they are really good eating when prepared properly. The secret is to soak them in an extremely strong brine and vinegar solution for 48 hours, changing/replacing the solution at the 24 hour point. Also, don't forget to remove the musk (gall-like) glands under the arm-pits. If they are not removed, the whole kitchen will stink fierce when Mr. ground-hog is cooked. If any of you like rabbit, then you'll really enjoy whistle-pig. They taste the same and have a whole lot more meat. :)

• Members

[quote="CJP56"]
Let's hear it out there for fried green tomatoes!!!! YUM!!!!!
Peanut butter and sugar sandwiches are wonderful!! Try it!!! CJP56. \V/
[/quote]

Yessssss, fried green tomatoes. I hope to make some soon - my tomato plants are getting tall.

Now, regarding those PBS sandwiches - (ahem) Mom, you absolutely ruined my children when you made them those things. Here I was, trying to make healthy stuff (honey, sugar-free jelly, etc.) and here she goes with sugar!! :shock: *sigh*

Guess it's the grandparent's privilege...... :lol:

• Members

I forgot to mention my all-time favorite snack. Tomato sandwiches made with bread and butter and fresh garden-ripe tomatoes! My second favorite is bread and butter and fork-tender pot roast sandwiches. Yum is the word!!! CJP56. \V/