• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian World View vs. Secular World View

• Members

That homosexual marriage thread got me thinking about Christian world view vs. secular world view. I don't really want this thread to be about homosexual marriage per se but that subject does fits into this one.

The Bible tells us to not love the world (worldview, secular system, etc., not the physical globe or the people in it).

What is a secular world view if not the systems that go against God?

All of history is His story. He started it and He will finish it. The Bible says that the wicked will be turned into hell and all nations that forget God. If God condemns abortion or adultery or witchcraft or homosexuality, then we Christians should stand against legislation that goes against God.

At the same time, we recognize that Satan is the prince of this world at this time and God permits him to be in control. That is why most nations do/are forget/forgetting God and as the world worsens, we can expect to see more and more legislation that goes against God. I don't think that gives us the right to accept it and even vote for it.

Just some thoughts! :wave:

• Members
That homosexual marriage thread got me thinking about Christian world view vs. secular world view. I don't really want this thread to be about homosexual marriage per se but that subject does fits into this one.

The Bible tells us to not love the world (worldview, secular system, etc., not the physical globe or the people in it).

What is a secular world view if not the systems that go against God?

All of history is His story. He started it and He will finish it. The Bible says that the wicked will be turned into hell and all nations that forget God. If God condemns abortion or adultery or witchcraft or homosexuality, then we Christians should stand against legislation that goes against God.

At the same time, we recognize that Satan is the prince of this world at this time and God permits him to be in control. That is why most nations do/are forget/forgetting God and as the world worsens, we can expect to see more and more legislation that goes against God. I don't think that gives us the right to accept it and even vote for it.

Just some thoughts! :wave:

:amen:

Like I saw on another topic/thread, some "conservatives" still try to bring the world's (Satan's) values into the OB to try to state their case.

We must stand strong in The Lord!

• Members

Excellent topic Jess! :thumb I agree with you 100%.

Christians today openly or in a round about manner support all sorts of things, politicians and agendas they would have absolutely refused to support (would have actually stood firmly against) in times past.

Consider the issue of abortion. Look at how the media and other worldly sorts constantly demean those who refuse to support any candidate or legislation that is pro-abortion in any way. They attack them as "single issue voters" with the implication (false implication) that there are may wonderful candidates and programs these people should support because of how "good" they are or the "good" they do rather than failing to support them because of "one issue". Never mind the fact that abortion is the murder of a baby, just put that "single issue" aside and support the "good".

For many worldy folks, the ends justify the means. This is why you see radical environmentalists willing to burn folks homes down, set ablaze and SUV dealership and risk the lives of people for the sake of a tree or snail darter. There are those who would fight to make sure a woman can murder (abort) her baby but would turn around and be willing to beat or kill a person to save an eagles egg.

Where Christians hold to (or should hold to) solid standards based upon the Word of God, the standards of the world are fluid, always in motion, and easily adjustable to fit their particular situation or perceived need. This holds true with regards to lying, killing and even rape. How many people have actually said, and believed, that a woman "deserved" to be raped because of how she was dressed, where she was or how she was acting? True enough, a woman can put herself in a terrible predicament and make rape more likely but that doesn't mean she "deserves" to be raped.

Look at liberals who say no one should be albe to own a handgun yet many of them own handguns, some carry handguns and many have bodyguards who carry handguns. A classic example of "do as I say, not as I do."

I actually heard a pastor say this from the pulpit before!!! Of course we aren't there anymore but sure did scare me! pixiedust ( About thre women deserving to be raped!) quote="John81"]Excellent topic Jess! :thumb I agree with you 100%.

Christians today openly or in a round about manner support all sorts of things, politicians and agendas they would have absolutely refused to support (would have actually stood firmly against) in times past.

Consider the issue of abortion. Look at how the media and other worldly sorts constantly demean those who refuse to support any candidate or legislation that is pro-abortion in any way. They attack them as "single issue voters" with the implication (false implication) that there are may wonderful candidates and programs these people should support because of how "good" they are or the "good" they do rather than failing to support them because of "one issue". Never mind the fact that abortion is the murder of a baby, just put that "single issue" aside and support the "good".

For many worldy folks, the ends justify the means. This is why you see radical environmentalists willing to burn folks homes down, set ablaze and SUV dealership and risk the lives of people for the sake of a tree or snail darter. There are those who would fight to make sure a woman can murder (abort) her baby but would turn around and be willing to beat or kill a person to save an eagles egg.

adjustable to fit their particular situation or perceived need. This holds true with regards to lying, killing and even rape. " to be of how sheWhere Christians hold to (or should hold toHow many solid standards based upon the Word of God, the standards of the world are fluid, always in motion, and easily was dressed, whepeople have actually said, and believed, that a woman "deservedraped because ) re she was or how she was acting? True enough, a woman can put herself in a terrible predicament and make rape more likely but that doesn't mean she "deserves" to be raped.

Look at liberals who say no one should be albe to own a handgun yet many of them own handguns, some carry handguns and many have bodyguards who carry handguns. A classic example of "do as I say, not as I do."

• Members

Baker 1/2 D,

You said:

...as the world worsens, we can expect to see more and more legislation that goes against God. I don't think that gives us the right to accept it and even vote for it.

It is true, the apsotle wrote:

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. and etc.

We are never to accept any philosophies, legisaltion, etc., that is counter to our Christian faith. However, at the same time, I'm not sure that there is a clear mandate in the New Testament for the Christian to be a political activist, either. Historically speaking the early church was not political, but existed seperate from the world system. Under the (false) theology of Augustin and the error of the RCC, the church began taking the (earhtly) kingdom by force. Calvin and the Reformers picked up on this with their Dominion Theology. I'm afraid that some of that sentament has made it's way over into baptistic thinking (I think it goes without saying here that Baptists never had anything to do with the RCC or the Reformers.)

Operating strictly from a New Testament mandate what can we learn about the Christians "World View," as opposed to the secular world view.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

2Cr 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

If we are going to obey the words of Christ and Paul, we should see that we are members, in fact ambassadors, from another kingdom. Why should we be shocked that the United States of America is going the wrong way? Should we vote? Yes/no only according to your conscience. I believe the disciples and the (extremely) errant Judas thought Jesus was going to establish an earthly, physical, kingdom. Instead he was establishing a kingdom that (for now) rules in the hearts of men made new by the blood of Christ.

Paul went on to teach:

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

If we take this passage literally (being literalists as we are,) Paul is saying, we wrestle not, plainly put, WE DON'T WRESTLE with humans, flesh and blood. Our war is a spiritual war. Is it?

2Cr 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Cr 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Cr 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Again, we see the spiritual weapons, used by spiritual people, fighting for a spiritual kingdom...the heart of man. We must be careful that we are not reading the bible with Red, White, and Blue colored glasses on.

I think it is natural for us to get riled (sp?) up about politicians and policies, but ultimately, the Lord is moving EVERY issue down the prophetic train tracks to prepare this world for His coming.

1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

• Members

PreacherBen, I agree with what you wrote. We are on a prophetic train ride and seeing the end nearer and nearer!

I expect the lost to behave like lost people but it bothers me when Christians promote, accept and encourage things like homosexual marriage, abortion, etc. because "the gov't isn't supposed to legislate morality". To me, that is accepting a secular worldview.

• Members
PreacherBen, I agree with what you wrote. We are on a prophetic train ride and seeing the end nearer and nearer!

I expect the lost to behave like lost people but it bothers me when Christians promote, accept and encourage things like homosexual marriage, abortion, etc. because "the gov't isn't supposed to legislate morality". To me, that is accepting a secular worldview.

Agreed.

Great post by PreacherBen. It's true we as Christians shouldn't be spending all our time attempting to manipulate the political landscape so that it will vote and govern how we think it should. In many respects I believe this has been one of the greatest failures of the Pro-Life movement. Far too much emphasis upon electing "just the right president" who they hope will have the opportunity to nominate "just the right number of Supreme Court Justices" who will in turn vote to overturn Roe v. Wade when "just the right case" comes before them.

I'm not saying supporting worthwhile candidates is a bad thing, but to concentrate the bulk of your time, energy and resources into politics is not the biblical approach. Imagine if the same amount of time, energy and resources had been put forth in witnessing and revival efforts. Consider how Billy Sunday managed to move a great deal of this nation against alcohol, not by political efforts, but by winning citizens and politicians to Christ.

We (Christians) are to be the salt and light in the world. As Jess said, it's a shame when professing Christians accept and sometimes even condone and promote wickedness. We should be constantly and consistently standing up for biblical truth. Shining the light of truth in this dark land, exposing evil for what it is and speaking for the One True Light that all may hear the Gospel.

We are to influence the world around us without being a part of that world.

• Members
...it bothers me when Christians promote' date=' accept and encourage things like homosexual marriage, abortion, etc. because "the gov't isn't supposed to legislate morality".To me, that is accepting a secular worldview.[/quote']
Bakers,

Dwayner and others on here have made it clear that their objection to legislating against homosexuality is based on a principle of not agreeing with legislating marriage and not on support for homosexuality itself. But you are saying that if such a principled stand results in homosexuality being legal, then Dwayner and co are essentially accepting the secular worldview that homosexuality is ok.

This is interesting in the light of John81's comment that "...for many worldy folks, the ends justify the means." (John81). You seem in effect to be arguing the opposite of John 81: that as long as the end is not good (homosexuality ends up legal), then the principle (believing that legislating marriage is wrong) cannot justify it .

Now, it may be that instead you think the principle that Dwayner and co have based their argument on is itself faulty, but I have never anyone on here attempt to argue this. Instead, the response has always been (in essence), 'no matter the means, as long as the result is good (homosexuality gets banned) then it is justified.'

• Members
For many worldy folks, the ends justify the means.

Going back to this comment, I want to make an observation--it is not a criticism. There is one area where many Christians on here do seem to agree that the end justifies the means: that of civilian casualties in war. I'm only quoting Jerry Numbers because his comments on this in the past have been the most crystallised:

...Sad' date=' to knock out the enemy, sometimes innocent people have to die with the enemy, but the world doesn't understand this, so they think the good guy is the bad buy.[/quote']
To me, this means: it is justified to use a means (such as a bomb) that kills innocent people (a baby would be the most obvious example) when it achieves the right end (killing the enemy). The ends justify the means.

• Members

For a Christian, biblical principles should trump everything.

Constitutionally, issues such as marriage and the legality/illegality of homosexuality are issues for each State to deal with. Of course the issue of guns was left for each State to deal with as they pleased too but today most "conservatives" who are pro-gun wouldn't like that aspect of the Constitution being enforced.

Of course the reality is that America has long ago ceased from being rightly governed by the Constitution so for the most part taking principled, constitutional stands are moot.

All that said, the reality is that just as the Federal government has usurped most other powers from the states, they will eventually do the same with regards to homosexual "rights/marriage". The Constitution is a flawed, man-made document that men have decided to ignore or twist at will.

The only solid rock to stand upon, with regards to principles, is the Word of God, and that's where Christians should be taking their principled stands.

• Members

I agree. In war people are killed. Innocent people and the ones we are fighting. I believe the bible says that we should live in peace if we can. We can defend ourselves. People die on all sides. The Gaza conflict, I believe, will gain more supporters of Hamas from around the world. Hamas is digging in with the people so that kids get killed and the world yells at Israel. The bible does say most of the world will be against Israel.