• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschool curriculum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jen - I love DK and Usborne! National Geographic is kind of boring to me....and I have friends who used Rod and Staff. I think it's a good curriculum, but that's not what we chose to use. Isn't it great that there is a plethora of curricula from which to choose so we can tailor it to our family's own particular needs?

When I homeschooled my son, I used the library a lot!! Why not -it sure saves on $$$!

BTW - I mentioned this in another thread you posted on, but you live in my folks' area. They live in Sequim and go to church in Poulsbo and love to shop in Silverdale.

One of the ladies in their church used to be in WA state congress, and she is largely responsible for the law permitting homeschooling in WA.

LuAnne - the National Geographic materials we use are primarily field guides. They're pretty dry, but very informative and complete. The DK field guides are our first stop, but when something is missing, we consult our hefty NG resources!

I posted a reply in the other forum - but I'll do it here, too - where does your family go to church? We are still seeking a home church!

Jen

• Members
Hi John -
I just linked from my intial post and it came right up. Not sure why it didn't do the same for you... http://www.spinnerscorner.spaces.live.com

Drop me a line and let me know if you are able to access the page!

Jennifer

I got this message when I tried the link:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

Hey John!

I'm really confounded as to why you can't access the page and I SURE don't know what any of that error message means!

I just checked my page statistics and I've had several hits since I last posted. The most recent came from someone using this search...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... arch&meta=

When you follow that search link, we are all the way on the bottom... "Just the Four of Us."

I've yet to have anyone not have access to the site. Perhaps you could do a Google search for "spinnerscorner" - we come up there, too!

Let me know if it works!

Jen

• Members

JenSpin- Your posts have been very interesting. We started home schooling in 1985 when we lived in Bremerton (I remember when the Silverdale Mall opened....I am old :wink ). I had no intention of home schooling until we moved to WA and could not find a conservative school. Finding material before the era of the internet was quite a task, especially since we were not acquainted with any home schoolers. We had gone to a church overseas that had a small Christian school that used A Beka so that is what we decided to use. Twenty-one years later, we are still using it. I need the structure it provides. Supplements are chosen according to the interests or deficits (based upon standardized test scores) of the student.

For those who have their children tested, this is what we do (beyond A Beka) to prepare for testing:

Google desired subjects, such as "Second grade science" or "Eighth grade history". Add pertinent sites to "favorites" and use daily.

Order grade level workbooks from the standardized test company the student uses. Single subjects that need special attention may also be ordered. My students do at least one page each day from these workbooks. This has improved their scores by introducing information not covered in our courses AND by introducing a variety of testing terms that are not used in our curriculum.

God bless!

• Administrators

LuAnne - the National Geographic materials we use are primarily field guides. They're pretty dry, but very informative and complete. The DK field guides are our first stop, but when something is missing, we consult our hefty NG resources!

I posted a reply in the other forum - but I'll do it here, too - where does your family go to church? We are still seeking a home church!

Jen

They attend Breidablik Baptist Church in Poulsbo. The pastor is David Weimer. He and his wife are wonderful people. The phone # is (360)779-6844. The # is on the internet, so it's public domain. The church is independent Baptist, and it is one of the most loving churches I have ever been to!!! There is one couple who travel from Tacoma to Poulsbo every week so they can attend.

JenSpin- Your posts have been very interesting. We started home schooling in 1985 when we lived in Bremerton (I remember when the Silverdale Mall opened....I am old :wink ). I had no intention of home schooling until we moved to WA and could not find a conservative school. Finding material before the era of the internet was quite a task' date=' especially since we were not acquainted with any home schoolers. We had gone to a church overseas that had a small Christian school that used A Beka so that is what we decided to use. Twenty-one years later, we are still using it. [b']I need the structure it provides. Supplements are chosen according to the interests or deficits (based upon standardized test scores) of the student.

For those who have their children tested, this is what we do (beyond A Beka) to prepare for testing:

Google desired subjects, such as "Second grade science" or "Eighth grade history". Add pertinent sites to "favorites" and use daily.

Order grade level workbooks from the standardized test company the student uses. Single subjects that need special attention may also be ordered. My students do at least one page each day from these workbooks. This has improved their scores by introducing information not covered in our courses AND by introducing a variety of testing terms that are not used in our curriculum.

God bless!

Lest anyone think I don't "approve" of text books, let me state clearly that I do believe the "traditional" model is valid, although it was not designed for individual study. It was designed to teach a breadth of information to many children at the same time. This is where the idea of separating children based on age-dependent "grade" level developed.

My hope is that parents - homeschooling or otherwise - will see that education doesn't have to be "one size fits all." In fact - it can't be if we are to teach our children (or ourselves, for that matter) successfully. Anyone who says "This is the best/only way to home school" is misinformed at best, and misrepresenting the wealth of information that shows the validity of MANY methods... dependent entirely on the child.

I used A Beka as a child for my private school years (only a few - too expensive for my parents) and my daughter used A Beka for one year in private school prior to my exit from the Navy. I do not malign A Beka's worth or reputation, but I also know it is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to super resources for home learning.

A Beka, along with similar companies, produces high-quality, helpful texts... at a price. If you don't have lots of money to spend, or you'd rather spend money on books that will last a lifetime (like hardcover copies of the classics) there are other, effective, ways to do just that.

I highly recommend "Schoolproof" by Mary Pride, along with any of the fine books by nationally acclaimed (former) public school teacher John Gatto as an introduction to the history of compulsory education in America, as well as the subtle (and not-so-subtle) influence of humanism and behaviorism in modern educational systems... right down to the average church-sponsored VBS program!

I'm glad A Beka has worked for you all these years. One of the most godly families I know - a missionary family with seven daughters - has also educated their children successfully with A Beka. ABeka... along with BJU, R&S, Christian Liberty, CLP, A-O, ACE, play a valuable role in allowing families - Christian or not - to teach their own as they see fit. I am also glad, however, there are other options! :)

Jennifer

• Members

JenSpin- I have read most of the books about home schooling and unschooling and I am thankful that there are options for each family. As I said in my post I need the structure! A parent needs to research and experiment with teaching styles that are effective for their the student, but I also see frustrated parents who focus solely on a child's learning style without concern for the parent's need. Some people are creative and energetic (sounds like you) and they would stifle their creative expression by using a pre-fab educational kit. Then there is someone like me who needs the structure of a specific course of study upon which I can build.

• Administrators

And that is the miracle of individuality, isn't it? Praise God that He made us all different..what a boring world it would be if we were all the same eh? (except of course if everyone were just like me.....j/k :lol::lol::lol: )

I used aBeka for a while with my son, but found that Classic Curriculum, Saxon and Jensen's Grammar filled the bill best for us - for both my son's needs and mine. Plus, as I said earlier, using the library to round things out. I also used McGuffey's Original Readers. I really enjoyed the time I spent homeschooling my son. Part of me would like to do it again, maybe one day with my grandkids.

JenSpin- I have read most of the books about home schooling and unschooling and I am thankful that there are options for each family. As I said in my post I need the structure! A parent needs to research and experiment with teaching styles that are effective for their the student' date=' but I also see frustrated parents who focus solely on a child's learning style without concern for the parent's need. Some people are creative and energetic (sounds like you) and they would stifle their creative expression by using a pre-fab educational kit. Then there is someone like me who needs the structure of a specific course of study upon which I can build.[/quote']

gack! I just wrote a very long email and then inadvertently lost it. Sigh.

The gist of it was that I do not think any method is better than the other. If you need structure, by all means, use structure! I wanted to clarify my point - lest someone give my posts a cursory view and fire off a nasty email based on what they perceived me to believe. It's happened too many times on other boards and I want to avoid the hassle and headache!

I'm not nearly as creative and energetic as you might think. I have great hopes and dreams, however, and they spur me to continue on.

I consider the upcoming "school year" to be our first "real" year of schooling (even though we did "school" last year with wonderful results) because I have a more distinct idea of what our family's learning philosophy is and what we want to accomplish.

Ugh. I'm still smarting from the loss of that HUGE post. I went into painful detail about what we use in each concentration - for both children. Perhaps I'll have the energy to post it another time - after composing in Word!

:badday:

Jen

And that is the miracle of individuality, isn't it? Praise God that He made us all different..what a boring world it would be if we were all the same eh? (except of course if everyone were just like me.....j/k :lol::lol::lol: )

I used aBeka for a while with my son, but found that Classic Curriculum, Saxon and Jensen's Grammar filled the bill best for us - for both my son's needs and mine. Plus, as I said earlier, using the library to round things out. I also used McGuffey's Original Readers. I really enjoyed the time I spent homeschooling my son. Part of me would like to do it again, maybe one day with my grandkids.

Hey LuAnne

I wish the library offered frequent flier miles. We go at least once a week, sometimes more. Our libraries in Kitsap County are very well-stocked and child-friendly. A nice change from those of Camden County in extreme southeast Georgia!

I like elements of the classical method of education and look to introduce Latin (using English from the Roots Up) and logic this year. I believe, particularly as Christians, that the ability to present your beliefs and ideas in a logical, intelligent way lends credence to what you say. I hit on that in a previous post to John. Not to mention, in a twisted, religiously and philosophically convoluted world, being able to spot fallacy is a valuable and NECESSARY skill!

I LOVE having my children with me all the time. I feel "naked" without them! Both of my children were put into daycare at the way-too-tender age of SIX WEEKS and we all missed out on so much. Having my son home at such a young age as three (I got out of the Navy last Oct.) has been one of the best experiences of my life. I didn't get that experience with my daughter! :( But, God is so very gracious and I know that He has worked every experience, every moment in our lives, to His glory and for our good.

Jennifer

• Administrators

Hey LuAnne

I wish the library offered frequent flier miles. We go at least once a week, sometimes more. Our libraries in Kitsap County are very well-stocked and child-friendly. A nice change from those of Camden County in extreme southeast Georgia!

I like elements of the classical method of education and look to introduce Latin (using English from the Roots Up) and logic this year. I believe, particularly as Christians, that the ability to present your beliefs and ideas in a logical, intelligent way lends credence to what you say. I hit on that in a previous post to John. Not to mention, in a twisted, religiously and philosophically convoluted world, being able to spot fallacy is a valuable and NECESSARY skill!

I LOVE having my children with me all the time. I feel "naked" without them! Both of my children were put into daycare at the way-too-tender age of SIX WEEKS and we all missed out on so much. Having my son home at such a young age as three (I got out of the Navy last Oct.) has been one of the best experiences of my life. I didn't get that experience with my daughter! :( But, God is so very gracious and I know that He has worked every experience, every moment in our lives, to His glory and for our good.

Jennifer

Amen to this, Jennifer!!! I was teaching school when my son was born (he was actually born on the first day of school! :smug: ). I taught the first two school years of his life. It was a good situation as far as it goes - he came to the school at lunchtime so I was able to see him then, before he went down for a nap with the kindergarteners. But when we moved here for my hubby to attend college, my hubby decided I was going to stay home. So I began to babysit, and taught them right along with him.

For various reasons, when he was in 6th grade, we put him in school and I went to work outside the home (at the library we frequented so often! :tum ). That was a sad time for all of us, but necessary. He graduated from a fantastic school (our church has a :thumb one) and is now in the National Guard - in the Intelligence Analysis unit (he just joined up...hasn't been to Basic yet).

Latin is a wonderful language to learn. We have so much of that in our language, and since Spanish, French, Italian and Romanian are all dialects of Latin, knowing it would help anyone pick up those languages easier.

I also taught my son Logic. I think that goes with what you said about being able to present things logically. You are so right!!

We'll be out that way in December - maybe we could meet!

• Members
JenSpin- I have read most of the books about home schooling and unschooling and I am thankful that there are options for each family. As I said in my post I need the structure! A parent needs to research and experiment with teaching styles that are effective for their the student' date=' but I also see frustrated parents who focus solely on a child's learning style without concern for the parent's need. Some people are creative and energetic (sounds like you) and they would stifle their creative expression by using a pre-fab educational kit. Then there is someone like me who needs the structure of a specific course of study upon which I can build.[/quote']

It's the same with me. And I enjoy the teacher-directed quality of the structured system. So do my kids. Being a trained teacher myself, the need to actually teach from a book is strong in me (not to mention that my spiritual gift tends toward teaching :cool )

My friend takes a more laid-back approach and I shudder at her day. It goes against my inner teacher! :lol