• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Phoster club and fisherman's club

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

just wandering if these two clubs are still around. We had it in our church at Freedom and I believe it was pretty popular in the 80's. I have not seen any other church offer this type of soulwinning program.

• Members

[quote]
The Phoster Club and Fisherman Club were definitely at First Baptist in Hammond, IN. They are soulwinning programs for churches. One for ladies, one for men. CJP56 \V/
[/quote]

Ok, obviously the "fisherman" comes from the verse "ye shall be fishers of men" (sorry, don't have my Bible in front of me at the moment, so can't quote it exactly)......but where does "Phoster" come from?

Ramba29

• Members

Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
this is the verse they use I believe that phoster is greek for light but this is the club verse

• 6 months later...

"phoster" is the English rendering of the word in Phil 2:15 that is translated as "lighters", i guess if anything the name can drum up a conversation that leads to a witnessing encounter.
I'm curious to see the layout of both of these programs, is there one online?

bobbyd

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Our church in NJ used the Phoster Club for ladies and the Fisherman's club for men. It is basically a program to train people how to lead someone to Christ. It requires that they memorize a set script and stick to it verbatim. When someone gets saved, they log that into their notebooks. Then they work on getting the saved person to church and baptized. The clubs are also built on rewards. With a certain amount of souls saved(50)in your log book you get a pin. I forget some of the other rewards as you progress.

It is a pretty good program but it has its pros and cons. It does come in Spanish too if you live around a lot of Latinos.
The pastor's wife used to make us recite that script no matter what. We were not allowed to say anything in our own words. Many times she would stick her foot in the door making them listen to her presentation when the person at the door wasn't interested. She said to me that our job is to tell them the gospel whether or not they want to listen. I don't know if that how they do it in Hammond, but I am a bible college graduate and I didn't really need a script to read off of. I prefer to listen to the Holy Spirit and tailor my soulwinning to the person at the door.
It is good for someone or a group who has never done any soulwinning and is scared to death. It does deal heavily with the fear factor.

Rewards are fine, but sometimes it can get out of hand. When the ladies got more confident and started winning people, we would fight over who got the next door because one more soul meant getting the next reward.

As far as effectiveness goes, I am not sure. we all won many souls that year, but none of us ever got them to come to church, get baptized or discipled. Not one. Sometimes I felt that our fast food approach wasn't getting through to them, and that they would pray whether or not they wanted to just to get rid of us. Only God knows. So, it will be interesting to see what your results are with the club.

• Members

That sounds absolutely wicked. They don't follow through because they're not saved. They're not saved because they haven't truly been convicted of sin. Galatians 3:24.

[quote="DQ"]
Our church in NJ used the Phoster Club for ladies and the Fisherman's club for men. It is basically a program to train people how to lead someone to Christ. It requires that they memorize a set script and stick to it verbatim. When someone gets saved, they log that into their notebooks. Then they work on getting the saved person to church and baptized. The clubs are also built on rewards. With a certain amount of souls saved(50)in your log book you get a pin. I forget some of the other rewards as you progress.

It is a pretty good program but it has its pros and cons. It does come in Spanish too if you live around a lot of Latinos.
The pastor's wife used to make us recite that script no matter what. We were not allowed to say anything in our own words. Many times she would stick her foot in the door making them listen to her presentation when the person at the door wasn't interested. She said to me that our job is to tell them the gospel whether or not they want to listen. I don't know if that how they do it in Hammond, but I am a bible college graduate and I didn't really need a script to read off of. I prefer to listen to the Holy Spirit and tailor my soulwinning to the person at the door.
It is good for someone or a group who has never done any soulwinning and is scared to death. It does deal heavily with the fear factor.

Rewards are fine, but sometimes it can get out of hand. When the ladies got more confident and started winning people, we would fight over who got the next door because one more soul meant getting the next reward.

As far as effectiveness goes, I am not sure. we all won many souls that year, but none of us ever got them to come to church, get baptized or discipled. Not one. Sometimes I felt that our fast food approach wasn't getting through to them, and that they would pray whether or not they wanted to just to get rid of us. Only God knows. So, it will be interesting to see what your results are with the club.
[/quote]