• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members
I would say Gabriel go ahead and blow' date=' but unfortunately everyone I know is not saved yet so I need more time..... :sad[/quote']

".....with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God." 1 Thess.4:16 Where is Gabriel mentioned? I read with the voice of the archangel and the only other time where "archangel" is mentioned is in Jude 1:9 which refers to Michael. :puzzled:

• Administrators

Madeline, I believe the idea comes from the fact that Gabriel was the one to speak to Mary, Zacharias and most likely Joseph. It is assumed that he is one of the three archangels, Michael obviously being one, and Lucifer being one before he was thrown from heaven. So, the song about Gabriel blowing his horn - it's actually a negro spiritual.

• Members
Madeline' date=' I believe the idea comes from the fact that Gabriel was the one to speak to Mary, Zacharias and most likely Joseph. It is assumed that he is one of the three archangels, Michael obviously being one, and Lucifer being one before he was thrown from heaven. So, the song about Gabriel blowing his horn - it's actually a negro spiritual.[/quote']

Ahhhhhh, but just how spirritual is it?

• Members

Anyways, to state that Gabriel is the one who will sound the trump is not biblical fact - it is an assumption. The only other time the word archangel is found in the Greek New Testament in in Jude 1:9 and it is referring to Michael. That Greek word for archangel is not even found in the LXX Septuagint, so there is only ONE archangel found in scripture, which is Michael (Jude1:9; cf. Rev.12:7). Even biblical scholars recognise that there is no biblical proof that there is more than one archangel and that Lucifer is an archangel because the word archangel is never applied to anyone in the bible except Michael. We can study this out with a concordance and see for ourselves. This isn't directed toward you LuAnne ...I'm just speaking bible here.

Love,
Madeline

• Administrators
Anyways, to state that Gabriel is the one who will sound the trump is not biblical fact - it is an assumption. The only other time the word archangel is found in the Greek New Testament in in Jude 1:9 and it is referring to Michael. That Greek word for archangel is not even found in the LXX Septuagint, so there is only ONE archangel found in scripture, which is Michael (Jude1:9; cf. Rev.12:7). Even biblical scholars recognise that there is no biblical proof that there is more than one archangel and that Lucifer is an archangel because the word archangel is never applied to anyone in the bible except Michael. We can study this out with a concordance and see for ourselves. This isn't directed toward you LuAnne ...I'm just speaking bible here.

Love,
Madeline

Oh, I understand, Madeline. That's why I used the word assumed. And I do think the idea of Gabriel being the trumpet blower originated in the negro spiritual, and not vice versa (and, no, John, I dont' think it's very spiritual :lol: )

Along these lines, it's amazing to me just how much false information and how many unfounded assumptions there are out there regarding angels.
Yeah! Did you know that there is no recording of angels singing anywhere in the Bible? In all cases, they said their message, not sang it. So much for "Hark the Herald Angels," eh?